Country Brewer Summer Wheat Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bats

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and so far have only done a standard idiot proof brew in my starter kit. I have acquired (for free) a kit with ingredients to make Country Brewer Summer Wheat brew. In reading the instructions, it says to boil the malt from the can, whilst adding the added hops and grains as the process takes place. Then to add all this to a primary fermenter add yeast and brew as normal. What has confused me is that the instructions make no note at all about adding brewing sugar. Being new to this I am clueless. I thought the brewing sugar added to the brew is a major ingredient to all brews. Does this sound right or have they forgotten to mention a major ingredient in the instructions? I need to clarify this before I waist time in ruining a brew. Please help.

I am new to brewing and so far have only done a standard idiot proof brew in my starter kit. I have acquired (for free) a kit with ingredients to make Country Brewer Summer Wheat brew. In reading the instructions, it says to boil the malt from the can, whilst adding the added hops and grains as the process takes place. Then to add all this to a primary fermenter add yeast and brew as normal. What has confused me is that the instructions make no note at all about adding brewing sugar. Being new to this I am clueless. I thought the brewing sugar added to the brew is a major ingredient to all brews. Does this sound right or have they forgotten to mention a major ingredient in the instructions? I need to clarify this before I waist time in ruining a brew. Please help.

Hi Bats, could you provide some more info.
The summer wheat from memory is a Wetpac. Can you clarify if you purchased a standard 1.7kilo tin of goo for around $18.00, or the Wetpac for $38.00.
If it was the wetpac, then it has all the ingredients such as hops, grain etc already included. If it was a 1.7k tin of goo alone, then yes you need to add fermentable sugar, hops, grain etc to taste and for particular beer styles.

I made this one a few years back, and it was really delicious.

Unless it's changed, it was a 3kg tin. That contains all the necessary malt you require for 5-ish% alc beer. No sugar needed.
If it was a 1.7kg tin, then yes, you'd need to add the 1kg sugar or malt to make it up to that approx 5% alc level.

Just follow the instructions or give them a ring for any tips.

Thanks for the reply guys. It is a Wetpak which has a 3Kg tin. So I'm guessing this is the one where I don't add sugar?

Correct, dont add sugar.

and dont boil the gain. Steep it in 65-ish degree water for 20mins, strain and add the resultant liquor to the boil...

Back