counter pressure filling discussion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blind Dog said:
[SIZE=medium]Why would using a homemade CPBF be riskier than priming and bottling in glass? You can’t have the pressure dialled up above normal serving pressures or you end up with foam and nothing else.[/SIZE]
The standard practise for using a CPBF is to fill at 10-20kpa above what you serve at, so you are bottling at a higher pressure than what the dissolved co2 is at
Bottling at a LOWER pressure ends up with foam and nothing else

We clearly have different systems / experiences. I use my homemade CPBF at 4psi or less, have even used it with the gas off if I'm just filling a couple of bottles. Works perfectly - no foam, minimal loss of CO2, and can fill a case of stubbies quick enough that it's not a chore, although it's usually just a 6pack or 2. It is all done cold which probably helps. Only time I've done it at serving pressure (12psi/85kpa) all I got was foam so Ive never tried it at higher than normal pressure. From all I've read /seen on simple homemade CPBFs as per the OP, using them at low pressure is the norm.

sp0rk said:
The standard practise for using a CPBF is to fill at 10-20kpa above what you serve at, so you are bottling at a higher pressure than what the dissolved co2 is at
Bottling at a LOWER pressure ends up with foam and nothing else

I usually CPF at lower than serving pressure (50-60kpa), with very little foaming. Keeping the fill rate slow and the bottle cold limits foaming to almost nothing.

Beer bottles are made to handle pressure higher than filling pressure, and most fillers that I've used have pressure relief valves anyway.

If the pressure was to get up to the 3+ volumes where the bottles approach their limit, the bung would pop first.

That said, I can understand safety concerns when dealing with gas and it always required concentration and care.

scon said:
I use one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQg8Qb3OS7U

Cost about $16 and you can use them as a carbonator cap or as a counter pressure filler - I've even used them with a silicone bung to fill growlers which worked well.
Hey Scon,

How did you rig it with the bung? I've been looking at something like this, and because all 3 of my growlers are different (one is a standard screw top, two have locking lids but one is a stainless keg king one and the other is glass with a ceramic lid) I need something non-destructive when it comes to filling my growlers. Any pics would be of great help!

Back