Counter pressure bottle filling ...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruddager

Reaction score
I've been reading a little about Fermentasaurus and that one of its features is that it can ferment beer under pressure, thereby carbonating it during primary. This is good news for keggers, from what I understand, but I'm still a lowly bottler. However! I'm told that there's such a thing as a "counter pressure bottle filler" - a device which keggers often use themselves to transfer from kegs to bottles for parties, competitions, etc.

My question: would using a counter pressure bottle filler to bottle an entire batch of beer (35-45 bottles) be more trouble than bulk priming and bottling the "old fashioned" way?

The main thing I'm trying to achieve here is a predictable level of carbonation, as well as mitigate the risk of explosions. I already do my best with bulk priming, but I've been a bit gun-shy lately and have had some quite flat batches as a result.

Using a CPBF will be problematic with the saurus, you need gas to push the beer out into the bottles. With long time storage of unpurged bottles through a CPBF you will also run the risk of oxidisation and the usual loss of carb.

That makes sense. So more drawbacks than positives you reckon?

From using a picnic tap on the saurus, I found that the transfer pressure drops pretty quickly and I would get maybe 3 schooners pouring well then another 2 really slow before hitting with gas. They do have the bottom fitting for bottling but not sure if it would work for this purpose

Yes you'd need a gas cylinder and line splitter to pre-pressurise the bottle and assist pushing the beer into it from the fermentasaurus.

The process does work okay though. I can set up (sanitise etc) my CPBF and fill around 12 bottles from a normal keg in about 45 minutes. This is what i use to make takeaways /for sharing with friends etc. Works pretty well albeit a little messy .

Filling 35 - 45 bottles using a CPBF would take a couple hours I reckon. Bit of a pain.

I have my CPBF attached to the keezer gets a full clean down afer a bottling session and a quick spray with starsan to start. The night before I raise pressure by 10 psi. When I start bottling I raise another 5 psi. Cap on foam all good.

I only do this when I want to clear some keezer space.

Ruddager said:
I've been reading a little about Fermentasaurus and that one of its features is that it can ferment beer under pressure, thereby carbonating it during primary. This is good news for keggers, from what I understand, but I'm still a lowly bottler. However! I'm told that there's such a thing as a "counter pressure bottle filler" - a device which keggers often use themselves to transfer from kegs to bottles for parties, competitions, etc.

My question: would using a counter pressure bottle filler to bottle an entire batch of beer (35-45 bottles) be more trouble than bulk priming and bottling the "old fashioned" way?

The main thing I'm trying to achieve here is a predictable level of carbonation, as well as mitigate the risk of explosions. I already do my best with bulk priming, but I've been a bit gun-shy lately and have had some quite flat batches as a result.
Cant skip the kegging part in my opinion. You cold condition in the keg on tap. Leave it long and cold enough until the beer is fully carbonated good to drink and crystal clear and then no sediment in your bottled beer. Then I only bottle by choice.
Counter pressure into PET bottles with a carbonation cap and a jump lead.
The counter pressure basically is controlled by the carb cap thread. Undo it enough to release pressure so it fills. You lose a bit in froth coming out the thread until liquid. (Its a visual thing)
The only exposure is when you remove the (Carb Cap with dip tube) and quickly cap with the PET cap.

Latest posts

Back