Bottling brew re-visited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuz

Reaction score
I've been kegging for a while now, however considering doing a odd batch just to bottle (PET bottles).

Don't want to overcomplicate this process, so I'll be brewing non-pressure and bottling ("transferring") with a wand - looking at a sst version.
My other option is to attach a line to the Pluto gun dispensing end to get to the bottom - I have done this before but this gets a bit messy.

Instead of using carb drops, I'm tempted to bulk-prime - but since I'm using a fermantasaurus, how can I mix the Dex in? Make a Dex / water mix, pour it in and stir? Has anyone done this or am I better with carb drops?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Is there a reason why you don't rack to a bucket with a bottling wand attached to the spigot? If I'm bottling a whole batch I'll do it this way. Transfer off the yeast cake in the primary fermenter and bulk prime in the bucket makes this really easy.

If you've got kegs maybe rack from the fermenter to a keg and bulk prime there. This way you get the beer off the trub and mix the priming sugar at the same time. You could add priming sugar to the fermenter but I think you would kick up a lot trub trying to get the priming sugar to mix evenly throughout.

If you've got kegs maybe rack from the fermenter to a keg and bulk prime there. This way you get the beer off the trub and mix the priming sugar at the same time. You could add priming sugar to the fermenter but I think you would kick up a lot trub trying to get the priming sugar to mix evenly throughout.

Not an issue if you leave to sit for 2-3 days after bulk priming which is what i do when bottling.

I suggest pseudo bulk-priming instead. It's easier (IMO) and has less risk of infection, oxidation, and less clean up than traditional bulk priming.

Back when I bottled, I mixed 19 g of sugar with water to an end-volume of 100 mL (or 38 g to 200 mL or whatever was needed), and microwaved it until it was hot and fully dissolved. Grab a 20 mL syringe (if new, it's already sterile!), draw up the solution and plonk 5 mL into each bottle. Obviously work out your solution strength based on the carb level you want, but it will be around 15-25 g of sugar per 100 mL solution.

Also note that sugar displaces some water and increases the overall volume, so use a little less water than you think you need until it's fully dissolved, then top up the solution to the final volume.

I suggest pseudo bulk-priming instead. It's easier (IMO) and has less risk of infection, oxidation, and less clean up than traditional bulk priming.

Back when I bottled, I mixed 19 g of sugar with water to an end-volume of 100 mL (or 38 g to 200 mL or whatever was needed), and microwaved it until it was hot and fully dissolved. Grab a 20 mL syringe (if new, it's already sterile!), draw up the solution and plonk 5 mL into each bottle. Obviously work out your solution strength based on the carb level you want, but it will be around 15-25 g of sugar per 100 mL solution.

Also note that sugar displaces some water and increases the overall volume, so use a little less water than you think you need until it's fully dissolved, then top up the solution to the final volume.
I had a similar approach when started brewing - used a dex / water and a shot dispenser, worked out the dex per 30ml "shot" per longneck.
I might just go with the carb drops for now - do a 28L batch, 19L kegged and the rest - bottled, see if there's any issues :)
:cheers:

Back