Cost To Run 2200/2400w Hlt Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reVoxAHB

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I'm in the process of upgrading my brewery, and the idea of using a 2200 or 2400w electric element w/ the MashMate HLT controller, on timer, is attractive. I could carbon filter my brew water the night before brew, set it to strike temp, and have it ready to go at 9AM, for example.

I'm wondering, have any of you noted the electricity consumption and/or worked out roughly how much this setup costs to run per batch? I realise this will be dependent on batch size and what you're using it for; happy to hear whatever you reckon it costs including where you're using them- boilers, hlt, etc. I'll be using it w/ HLT only at 46L batches (stepping into 69L batches in Feb. roughly).

Concerned, as I've watched the house meter run like crazy when someone runs a simple $15 electric water boiler in the house sort of deal. :huh:

The alternative would be installing wheels to the bottom of my brew stand, with my NG mongolian burner stationary below the 1 tier kettles. I could then roll the stand so that the HLT is under flame, roll back to kettle, etc. I'm guessing this would be a good deal cheaper, but I'd lose the automation and convenience of the element route.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers and Happy New Year all,

reVox

2400W = 2.4 kW per hour = 2.4 kwh @ say 20c/kWh = 48c/h assuming its going all the time.
Not a great deal versus LPG.

2400W = 2.4 kW per hour = 2.4 kwh @ say 20c/kWh = 48c/h assuming its going all the time.
Not a great deal versus LPG.

As Enoch has posted, its a hell of a lot cheaper than bottled gas.

You should see my meter when the 14kwh Air con is running :lol:

Rook

The specific heat of water is 4,181 J/kgC. Since 1l of water = 1kg, it takes 4,181 Joules to raise one liter of water by 1C. If I assume that it takes you about 70l of water to brew 46l of beer, that means that your system will have to heat 70kg of water to approx 68C from 20C (roughly).

So it will take 4181 J/kgC x 70kg x 48C = 14,048,160 Joules. A 2400W element (2400 J/second) will have to run for 14,048,160J/2400J/sec = 5853.4 seconds = 97.6 minutes = 1.626 hours. This equates to 1.626 hours x 2.4 kW = 3.90 kWh. This is of course neglecting heat loss. Given a good insulated container, the loss should be quite small, probably less than 5%.

Not sure what a kWh costs you, but this should help you come up with some concrete figures.

According to the Synergy website 1 unit = 13.94c +gst
so i guess to run you 2.4kW element will cost you 36.80c per hour inc gst
Unless you switch to smart power.

Regards

Rich

Different states different rates, but it will be something close to that.
If you have an Off-Peak Meter, you can pay around 6 or 7c per kW/h until around 7am, so if you've got an automated rig set it to heat the mash and sparge water in the early morn.

Different states different rates, but it will be something close to that.
If you have an Off-Peak Meter, you can pay around 6 or 7c per kW/h until around 7am, so if you've got an automated rig set it to heat the mash and sparge water in the early morn.

you know you're a super hardcore homebrewer when...

- you start brewing at 3am to take advantage of off-peak power rates

Heh not me, I'm a stove-top brewer and don't have an off-peak meter, but one day..... :)

The specific heat of water is 4,181 J/kgC. Since 1l of water = 1kg, it takes 4,181 Joules to raise one liter of water by 1C. If I assume that it takes you about 70l of water to brew 46l of beer, that means that your system will have to heat 70kg of water to approx 68C from 20C (roughly).

So it will take 4181 J/kgC x 70kg x 48C = 14,048,160 Joules. A 2400W element (2400 J/second) will have to run for 14,048,160J/2400J/sec = 5853.4 seconds = 97.6 minutes = 1.626 hours. This equates to 1.626 hours x 2.4 kW = 3.90 kWh. This is of course neglecting heat loss. Given a good insulated container, the loss should be quite small, probably less than 5%.

Not sure what a kWh costs you, but this should help you come up with some concrete figures.

An Engineer ;)

An Engineer ;)

Is it that obvious? :lol:

There's only one thing worse than being an engineer.......being married to one (ask my wife). :p

There's only one thing worse than being an engineer.......being married to one (ask my wife). :p

I worked in mining for 25 years....I know you guys :super:

Batz

It's cheaper to run your element than it is to buy a case of Mega Swill, and far cheaper than a case of good quality beer.

So.........what are you worried about!

Thanks everybody for the fantastic follow up. Just what I needed. I located a bill from the electric co. and it looks like we're on 13c kWh in Melbs. (granted it's an older bill, but I'm sure it hasn't gone up by much, if at all). I was worried an element would add $10 to my brewday, but this is obviously not going to be the case.

newguy, you're a champ :super: . That's just above and beyond the call of duty on this one, and greatly appreciated. I probably re-read your explanation 4 times, simply in awe.

Cheers all,

reVox

The figures may show that Electricity is cheaper

But why do so many brewers use gas rings....

Because gas will give you a decent rolling boil.... <_<

I have used both and IMHO my 2.4kw & 1.8kw ellements are the ants pants. I can't really taste or smell any difference because of a rolling boil or not <_< I would have thought a boil is a boil :p Its a PITA if you happen to run out of gas. Back to the cost question, after doing the sums at 17c a KW my brewday power bill is around $3 max.

BYB

Maybe we can start a support group.

Ok, I converted to electric around 6 months ago. Worked out at about 95 cents to have the elements running for three hours. I have a 1800 and 2400 watt elements. I was getting around 5 batches from a 9Kg gas bottle previously, around $3-4 per batch. So I'm saving around $2-3 per batch and have the convenience of setting the water to get to temp the night before. I never have to worry about running out of gas either. Well unless the power goes out. And the chance of that is far less than a gas bottle running dry.

As to the rolling boil thing. I can get 30+ litres to boil over with my keggle running just the 2400 watt element. :)
The only thing to remember with electric is that its generally 'on-off' with the heat rather than variable with gas unless you want to go with expensive controllers. I control my boil with an insulating blanket (camp mat) and a lid on the keggle.

Converting to electric was the best move I made for my brewery. In my setup it works well, in others maybe not. I'm familiar with electricity so setting things up to be safe wasn't really too big a deal for me. If you are gong to go electric and aren't familiar with electricity then definitely find someone who is to check things out for you.

I suppose that one of the reasons people go gas is that you can generally smell the stuff before something really bad happens :huh:

gary

Running out of gas?

What sort of brewing freak only has one bottle of gas?

I only own one gas bottle.... but there's 3 others at my house that are hardly ever used.

"Why are the gas bottles always empty?!" :lol:

Latest posts

Back