Corona Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's this whole fascination with Corona and lime?
Corona doesn't have lime. Bars only put a lime or lemon wedge in it for English-speaking tourists.
Why'd you ruin a perfectly good beer with citrus flavour?

Speaking of which has anyone tried the Barefoot Raddler? (***puke!***)

MFS.

Exactly - Corona doesnt have a lime flavour - without the wedge. In fact, having spent some time in Central & Sth America, I observed the following;
Corona is pretty much their mega-swill. We were served corona with lime, (lemon sometimes) outdoors, but never indoors.
I asked the friendly barmaid why and the answer is astoundingly simple.
The lime or lemon keeps the flies off your bottle. Nothing to do with taste. Indoors = no flies (not always the case :angry: ) so no wedge.
Also - for it to be effective the wedge needs to protrude from the bottle.
So next time you see a suit with his corona and lime, indoors, AND the wedge jammed down the neck - you'll know he's a tool :lol:

Exactly - Corona doesnt have a lime flavour - without the wedge. In fact, having spent some time in Central & Sth America, I observed the following;
Corona is pretty much their mega-swill. We were served corona with lime, (lemon sometimes) outdoors, but never indoors.
The lime or lemon keeps the flies off your bottle. Nothing to do with taste. Indoors = no flies (not always the case :angry: ) so no wedge.
So next time you see a suit with his corona and lime, indoors, AND the wedge jammed down the neck - you'll know he's a tool :lol:

Just on that, i've heard that the use of lemon was primarily for the acidic properties - the lemon would be rubbed a round the outside of the bottle - and this would kill any germs on the outside of the bottle - allowing the drinker to drink from the bottle

Just on that, i've heard that the use of lemon was primarily for the acidic properties - the lemon would be rubbed a round the outside of the bottle - and this would kill any germs on the outside of the bottle - allowing the drinker to drink from the bottle

Which is kinda funny since the bottles are pasteurised before they leave the factory AND the low pH in lemon juice may stop germs growing, but certainly does not kill them effectively.

MFS

Sounds good , has anyone done the morgans corona copy and waht results?...

the idea is that once they leave the factory you dont know where they have been, who has touched them, what they have done to them. Similar to being told to drink out with a straw in asian countries e.g. thailand

I found a recipe the other day,

standard Coopers mexican cervaza, 500g light malt, 500g dextrose, 200gm corn syrup. Sounds interesting, I am going to try next time but a few brews already planned. Any thoughts if this is a good combinatation or not?

I like corona but its gotta have lemon in it, im not a fan of lime. I normaly only drink it if I have a hangover, it does go down easily. It does taste like shit without lemon or lime.

Whats with everyone using maltodextrine and ale yeasts when trying to clone a very very thin bodied lager?

Whats with everyone using maltodextrine and ale yeasts when trying to clone a very very thin bodied lager?

Two weeks ago I bottled a corona style from a coopers ceveza with a little dme and lager yeast,
and fermented around 8 - 10degs for a month then secondary for 2 weeks. Im going to leave it till next summer but am concerned that the cold ferment and second stage have left nothing behind. Upon bottling I thru in a small piece of chilli to 5 or 6 bottles as a kicker, might spark up something . If its no good Ill put some lemon wedges with it and pass it off to my shiney ass father in-law he"ll love it. Anyway Ill try one from time to time and see how it goes.The point is, even with the DME theres not much in this at all but some people like it like that.Hope you enjoy yours.

Daz

I've done the standard Coopers Cerveza kit with 600g Dextrose, 200g Maltodextrin and 200g LDME. Primed with white sugar. Seems to be on the right track - had one after a week in the bottle and its definitely reminiscent of Corona. Have to wait and see how it goes with age, but I'd recommend the recipe to anyone looking to 'clone' it.

I found a recipe the other day,

standard Coopers mexican cervaza, 500g light malt, 500g dextrose, 200gm corn syrup. Sounds interesting, I am going to try next time but a few brews already planned. Any thoughts if this is a good combinatation or not?
A pretty basic combination really.
I use that for all my kits these days, except for the maltodextrine which I never bother with.
A small amount of dry wheat malt (about 50gms or so) can also help with head retention.
As for the Coopers Mexican, I'm not a real lover of the style but gave it a go anyway and thought it was terrible.

Going to do a Coopers Mexican Cerveza with BE1 tomorrow. I figure BE1 will give a lighter taste than the recommended BE2 would... considering Corona is the blandest "cerveza" I've ever had :p

I made one of the Morgans brand Chairmans Cerveza, and though it turned out not a bad drop, I don't think it was much like Corona. I beleive that Corona uses a hop called Galena for its aroma and flavouring. Hard hop to get in Australia, but I believe that Craftbrewer sell them if anyone is interested.
I think any of the decent mexican cerveza kits and this hop woudl make a good Corona style beer. MAybe avoid the ones with the lime additions if you can. Adding lime editions to your brewing never seems to come out right, and if you ask me, your better off sticking the lime into your beer in the form of a slice of lime at the time of drinking rather then trying to infuse it. They don't put lime in Corona beer at all, so I can't see why people want to try and infuse lime or lemon flavour into a beer to copy a beer which does not contain it in the first place.

They don't put lime in Corona beer at all, so I can't see why people want to try and infuse lime or lemon flavour into a beer to copy a beer which does not contain it in the first place.

The technical challenge maybe? Other than that I see no point either.

The technical challenge maybe? Other than that I see no point either.

Possibly, but if your going to clone a beer then your aim is to get it as close as possible to the real deal, so adding lime is not something you shoudl be doing. I know there are now all these other beers that have recently come on the market, mainly aimed at women drinkers that have infused lime and spices. Maybe people are trying to get closer to those megaswill beers.

Possibly, but if your going to clone a beer then your aim is to get it as close as possible to the real deal, so adding lime is not something you shoudl be doing. I know there are now all these other beers that have recently come on the market, mainly aimed at women drinkers that have infused lime and spices. Maybe people are trying to get closer to those megaswill beers.

Maybe. From looking at this forum, and a few others, with cerveza threads, I get the feeling most people don't brew it for themselves, rather to "keep the missus happy" ;)

I know if my girlfriend wasn't asking for a cerveza in the vein of Corona, Cantina or Ariba, I'd be doing some sort of ale :p

I'm putting down a blackrock mexican lager early next week, with a 1/2 kg of hopped light dried malt extract, 1kg dextrose, might dry hop it, have to see. Never done a mexican lager before.............don't know why I'm doing it now, heheh, not a fan of carona, I must be bored:)

Mexican lagers are never dry hopped, at least none of the one's I've tasted, which is most.

MFS.

Latest posts

Back