Corona Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I drank a Corona and a Sol I did note a hop aroma, though not a strong one. After doing some research on why people put lemon or lime wedges in Corona when they drink it the answer was simple, and slightly disturbing to say the least. From what I have read, the beer, being in clear glass, goes off slightly when it gets light struck, and the slight 'skunk' smell can be masked with a wedge of lemon or lime.
But when I have smelt this beer it did not have this skunk smell if you ask me.

Corona I would say is not bittered at all during the brew process and is only slightly flavoured and aromered with Galena hops.

What I've heard on the dodgy grapevine (an employee of Barth-Haas who control 60% of the world hop crop) is that they use hop products designed to avoid or minimise light-strike. I presume this means tetra and hop oil.

MFS.

What I've heard on the dodgy grapevine (an employee of Barth-Haas who control 60% of the world hop crop) is that they use hop products designed to avoid or minimise light-strike. I presume this means tetra and hop oil.

MFS.
Clear/green bottles = Tetra hops. Now who is going to explain light struck in simple terms ? Easy get 2 bottles of natural brewed beer and stick one in the sun for a hour and the other in the fridge and taste the difference. Tetra hops will stop this to a certain extent. If you want to find the tech reasons search Mercaptans (onions/skunky). Not a good flavor. Use brown bottles for your brewed beers and stop the light affect.
GB

Back onto the subject or Corona itself, I would not think it would have a huge opertunity to be light struck anyway. Once bottled at the brewery they are pretty much put straight into the cases, and usually remain there until most customers are ready to drink them. Of course you will get those employees of bottle shops or bar staff who pull the six packs out and stick them in the fridge. Still don't think they will get much sunlight directly, but they will see plenty of light in a bar fridge or a fridge when the sell them in a bottle shop, though again, i would guess this would usually be fluro light, which I don't think effects the beer as bad, as fluro lights don't contain a lot of yellow light.

As I said, last time I had a Corona, which was late last year, i noted the slight hop aroma, and a distinct hop after taste. The beer itself is pretty hopless but, and very bland tasting with almost no bitterness at all.

A little off topic: Just tried my Coopers Cerveza kit + BE1 out of the fermenter (not done yet) and it tastes really strong, I guess the taste will mellow, although I kind of hope not. If anyone who drinks cerveza regularly as their prefered taste of beer, this would have knocked them out :D

Mexican lagers are never dry hopped, at least none of the one's I've tasted, which is most.

MFS.

Dry hoped or not, I just have to play with this kit, heheh. I think carona the most boring of beers, so I will play with the blackrock mexican lager and give a bit more flavour, hopefully it'll turn out good.

I finally got around to doing this on Friday night as follows

Coopers Mexican Cerveza Kit
Coopers BE2
3 zest and juice Large limes
Kit yeast

I made the kit as standard and heated the zest and juice with 2 litres of pre-boiled water to about 80 degrees for 20 minutes and added it to the fermenter and pitched yeast at 18 deg. and it is happily fermenting. SG was 1043

I will update further as it progresses.

For anyone that is interested FG was 1008 after 8 days, I then racked to secondary for a week and then into the keg. Quite a nice drop with the lime coming though just enough to give a normally bland beer a nice tang. great as a summer quaffer asit is light and very easy to drink. :chug: :chug:

Hi All,

I am going to put down another coopers Corona Clone for my wife. I have seen a recipe to add 200gms of corn syrup to the fermentor with BE2. Couple of questions though....

1/ Has anyone tried this or knows what effect it will have
2/ I could not find corn syrup as such for the local supermarket but found glucose syrup "made from corn". I would presume this is the same.

Thanks All

andrewg1978 - the syrup you found from the supermarket is corn sugar [glucose] which is 100% fermentable, as opposed to maltodextrin which is only 30% fermentable. The remaining solids in the maltodextrin thicken up the beer. For this reason, maltodextrin is generally included when there isn't a lot of malt in the brew to start with, and thus compensates for the resultant lack of body.

I'd give the BE2 a shot - I used something very similar [600g Dextrose, 200g each of LDME and Maltodextrin, BE2 is 500g Dextrose, 250g each LDME and Maltodextrin] and it came out a treat when combined with the Coopers Cerveza tin. By "treat" I mean bugger-all body & colour, mild taste and bitterness - it was described as 'sweet' by one of my mates. So, a good session beer by all accounts and very unoffensive.

Cheers - boingk

My excuse for putting a cerveza down is it was given to me, and I suppose I don't mind one or two myself, but it has to be on a stinkin' hot day.

I asked my LHBS for some hops that would suit and he gave me Tettnanger. Along with 1kg of brew booster which from what I've been led to believe is pretty much BE2. And Saflager S-23.

It will go down as soon as I bottle my Stella Artois clone....

This has got to be the greatest hobby on the planet!!!!!!

Cheers

TPD

andrewg1978 - the syrup you found from the supermarket is corn sugar [glucose] which is 100% fermentable, as opposed to maltodextrin which is only 30% fermentable. The remaining solids in the maltodextrin thicken up the beer. For this reason, maltodextrin is generally included when there isn't a lot of malt in the brew to start with, and thus compensates for the resultant lack of body.

I'd give the BE2 a shot - I used something very similar [600g Dextrose, 200g each of LDME and Maltodextrin, BE2 is 500g Dextrose, 250g each LDME and Maltodextrin] and it came out a treat when combined with the Coopers Cerveza tin. By "treat" I mean bugger-all body & colour, mild taste and bitterness - it was described as 'sweet' by one of my mates. So, a good session beer by all accounts and very unoffensive.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks for that, will give it a go on the next brew.

Why so many people enjoy a "bugger-all body & colour, mild taste and bitterness" - AKA corona is beyond me but I suppose sometimes you have to accomadate all tastes. Also it's loads cheeper then $60/ctn for the commercial swill :D .

reciepe suggestion:

1 Cerveza can,
350g Dex,
250g LDME,
100g Carapils or wheat extract
5g Glacier hops @20,
10g Glacier hops @15,
10g Glacier @10,
20g Glacier @ flameout,
22L
2 x saflager @ 12C for 3 weeks, then chill as cold as I can for another 2.
~4.2% before bottling. OG 1.038, FG 1.008

glacier gives a nice subtle lemon hint.

I don't get lemon from glacier... just a fairly english aroma, like a generic essence of goldings, fuggle, etc...

MFS

I don't get lemon from glacier... just a fairly english aroma, like a generic essence of goldings, fuggle, etc...

MFS
I blame Stuster. I read one of his posts on glacier and lemon tastes and now I can only get lemon from it. I really like it in this sort of beer. adds a little complexity to a lawnmower/corona style beer

I made one of the Morgans brand Chairmans Cerveza, and though it turned out not a bad drop, I don't think it was much like Corona. I beleive that Corona uses a hop called Galena for its aroma and flavouring. Hard hop to get in Australia, but I believe that Craftbrewer sell them if anyone is interested.
I think any of the decent mexican cerveza kits and this hop woudl make a good Corona style beer. MAybe avoid the ones with the lime additions if you can. Adding lime editions to your brewing never seems to come out right, and if you ask me, your better off sticking the lime into your beer in the form of a slice of lime at the time of drinking rather then trying to infuse it. They don't put lime in Corona beer at all, so I can't see why people want to try and infuse lime or lemon flavour into a beer to copy a beer which does not contain it in the first place.

Because they like the flavour?

I wonder if you could steep a little bit of dark barly to make it closer to dos eques amber?

Nah want a corona clone, quite enjoy one, question because you want it quite thin should I just use dextrose instead of a brew enhancer?

Back