Corona Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxy007

Reaction score
Hi All,
It's been a while since I've brewed and am just getting back into it.

I'm going to start with a Corona Clone. What is the best kit to use for this? I've used the coopers Mexican one before and it was ok. Are there any others I should look at?

What about malt? Should I use any of the spray varieties listed [post="0"]here [/post]

What hops or anything else should I use for this brew?

What yeast do you recommend?

I think that's it!!

Thanks for reading and as always any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Maxy

My second brew was a corona clone, I used a Morgans Chairmans Selection tin called Cortes Cerveza. Has a strong lime aroma when you open the tin, flavour is just right though not too strong. I used a Saflager W34/70 yeast, can't remember what sugars I used, something similar to either BE1 or BE2. Turned out pretty well I think, will definitely try it again.

find the palest can you can (probably something like the coopers cervesa can you mentioned), add a kilo of sugar or dextrose so its as thin and watery as possible.

ferment it with a real lager yeast @ 11C or so.

(to get the authentic corona flavour, find your local neighbourhood cat and persuade them to piss in your carboy a few times, and bottle into clear bottles and leave out in the sun for a few weeks to get the authentic corona skunk flavour.)

find the palest can you can (probably something like the coopers cervesa can you mentioned), add a kilo of sugar or dextrose so its as thin and watery as possible.

ferment it with a real lager yeast @ 11C or so.

(to get the authentic corona flavour, find your local neighbourhood cat and persuade them to piss in your carboy a few times, and bottle into clear bottles and leave out in the sun for a few weeks to get the authentic corona skunk flavour.)

OM39A, what breed of cat would you use for a corona then, as you don't want to end up with a VB!?!? :beer:

Back to the point, IMO the coopers cerveza isn't a bad kit. Made a lot better with a wedge of lime in the bottle, but that's just me.
I might just do another one for next summer.

OM39A, what breed of cat would you use for a corona then, as you don't want to end up with a VB!?!? :beer:

Back to the point, IMO the coopers cerveza isn't a bad kit. Made a lot better with a wedge of lime in the bottle, but that's just me.
I might just do another one for next summer.

I have a recipe at home, at work at the moment so will put it on here tonight if that's ok. :huh:

Don't worry mate there is more than one local cat here I'm sure if I got a few and added their "flavour" I might come up with something interesting :icon_drunk:

The recipe I have is this:

Brewcraft Mexican Cerveza (I've also heard that the Blackrock Mexican Cerveza is excellent)
1kg dextrose
12g Super Alpha Hops
Standard Method??

Let us know how you go with it.

Poet.

My only comment on the Corona style knock off is that any discernable hop character is basically a fault...isn't it? I mean, bittering aside theres bugger-all hop flavour. I think Tetra hops are what is used, and they are resistant to light thus the clear bottles.

I'd go with something like...750g Dextrose and 250g Maltodextrin. Or failing that, just bung in 800-1000g dextrose and see how it goes. Wait, a Coopers brew enhancer no. 1 is what you'd want! Thats pretty much the first suggestion in a box! I'll try it n see how we go...

Has anyone tried brewing this with lime? I have a few fresh limes and was thinking about adding them to the brew. How many should i use and how do i use them?

Has anyone tried brewing this with lime? I have a few fresh limes and was thinking about adding them to the brew. How many should i use and how do i use them?

If you're interested in a lime flavoured Corona style, then i'd suggest trying the Morgans Chairman's Selection Corte's Cerveza.

This ends up as a Corona style beer with a dominant lime flavour.

Sam

Thanks Sammy, but i already have a kit and the limes, just want to know how to use them together.

Turto - you could always experiment! Maybe use 2 or 3 limes for the whole thing [squeezed, no skin]? I have no idea...

Alternatively you could simply use fresh limes in the beer when you drink it, but seeing as you already have them I doubt they'll last that long...good luck anyway - interesting idea!

I'm going to throw tegether a brew using good old Coopers International Series Cerveza, and a LHBS mixed additive pack of 600g Dextrose, 200g LDME and 200g Maltodextrin. So basically a Coopers BE2 with 50g each of LDME and Maltodex transformed into Dextrose...hmmm. Sounds alright for a bash at the 'almighty' Corona!

I was at a pub yesterday and they had these beers in fridge called miller chill they were actualy very nice. Mexican style with lots of lime flavour, I could not taste any hops at all. Probly a bit of a girls beer but they went down very easily.

Turto - you could always experiment! Maybe use 2 or 3 limes for the whole thing [squeezed, no skin]? I have no idea...

Alternatively you could simply use fresh limes in the beer when you drink it, but seeing as you already have them I doubt they'll last that long...good luck anyway - interesting idea!

I'm going to throw tegether a brew using good old Coopers International Series Cerveza, and a LHBS mixed additive pack of 600g Dextrose, 200g LDME and 200g Maltodextrin. So basically a Coopers BE2 with 50g each of LDME and Maltodex transformed into Dextrose...hmmm. Sounds alright for a bash at the 'almighty' Corona!

Thanks Boingk,
I have the coopers kit also and a pack of BE2.
I might try adding 4 limes sliced and without the peel and see how it goes.

Righteo. Actually, check out some of the lemonade threads - I think they said that its the rind [but not the pith underneath] that gives flavour. You want the pith excluded so as not to impart a strong, harsh bitterness.

I'm fairly sure thats correct...

I finally got around to doing this on Friday night as follows

Coopers Mexican Cerveza Kit
Coopers BE2
3 zest and juice Large limes
Kit yeast

I made the kit as standard and heated the zest and juice with 2 litres of pre-boiled water to about 80 degrees for 20 minutes and added it to the fermenter and pitched yeast at 18 deg. and it is happily fermenting. SG was 1043

I will update further as it progresses.

What's this whole fascination with Corona and lime?
Corona doesn't have lime. Bars only put a lime or lemon wedge in it for English-speaking tourists.
Why'd you ruin a perfectly good beer with citrus flavour?

Speaking of which has anyone tried the Barefoot Raddler? (***puke!***)

MFS.

Latest posts

Back