Copper/brass Pickup Tube On Stainless Fittings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arghonaut

Reaction score
Just ordered a new SS ball valve and all the bits required to attachd it to my ally pot (thanks Fiorente for the $$!). Craftbrewer were out of stainless compression fittings, and i have a number of brass kingco nuts, copper and nylon olives, and various brass nipples and compression fittings sitting around from other jobs, and plenty of 1/2" copper pipe.

Is there any reason not to use the copper pipe and a brass fitting on the stainless threaded pipe? Or will it corrode? I assume i also have to be carfeul to keep the pickup tube from touching the pot?

Just ordered a new SS ball valve and all the bits required to attachd it to my ally pot (thanks Fiorente for the $$!). Craftbrewer were out of stainless compression fittings, and i have a number of brass kingco nuts, copper and nylon olives, and various brass nipples and compression fittings sitting around from other jobs, and plenty of 1/2" copper pipe.

Is there any reason not to use the copper pipe and a brass fitting on the stainless threaded pipe? Or will it corrode? I assume i also have to be carfeul to keep the pickup tube from touching the pot?

In effect you are creating a battery, the less noble the metal the quicker it will corrode. The copper will go first then the brass.

is the fact that the pot will spend the majority of it's life "dry" going to reduce the corrosion.
not many of us are brewing more than a few hours a week

if it was in full time use you might see some effects a bit quicker

IMO you will be pretty right to use what you have and find a SS nut in the future

my 2C

I've had copper thread, with s/s elbows on one of my pots for the last 3 years. Still looks ok.

QldKev

Good to know, will put it on for now with a liberal application of thread tape until i get around to getting a SS one, saves me delaying using the new rig for a few more weeks.

Thanks for the replies.

Had a quick look on eBay and found a stainless elbow and 100mm threaded pipe for a couple bucks each, from china. Hopefully the quality isn't terrible and it will make a tidy little pickup tube.

Back