Coopers Sparkling Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenk

Reaction score
hey pretty new to homebrewing got into it by my boss having a keg fridge so i offered to buy it not nowing how addictive the brewin proses is!

im up to my 3rd brew and thought id step up alittle with hops light dry malt extract ETC.

the recipe was
1 can of sparklin ale.
750gm dextros
1kg ultra blend #4
1.1kg liquide light malt extract
1 tea bag of pride of ring wood hops.

hydroemeter showed OG as 1.090
i wanted this high to make a bre round 6-7 %

checked it this morning after 24hours of fermenting but the air lock was not bubling no where near as frequent as all my other brews were after 24 hours...

my question is what alcohole reading you recon ill get at the end of fermentation and can my yeast handle the amount of alcohole in the brew ??

cheers steve.

hey pretty new to homebrewing got into it by my boss having a keg fridge so i offered to buy it not nowing how addictive the brewin proses is!

im up to my 3rd brew and thought id step up alittle with hops light dry malt extract ETC.

hydroemeter showed OG as 1.090
i wanted this high to make a bre round 6-7 %

cheers steve.

You have done your hydro reading wrong. I assume you added the kit contents in barrel, added jug of boiling water, sugars etc then the water. In doing this the hydrometer tap will be full of the concentrated wort rather than the "real" wort. Take another OG reading and you will find it about 1.040 - 1.050

When you have three consecutive same readings in about one - two weeks, possibly around the 1.010 - 1.012 mark, I reckon you'll have the final reading. I doubt you will get below 1.010 (but you never know). Just go and re do the OG reading again. You can't get 1.090 from those ingredients.

By my calcs you wshould have an OG of 1.075, if you made it up to 22ltrs.
What volume did you make it up to?

Sparkling_Ale.jpg

sorry boys just did one then yous are spot on 1.070 ( 23L ) added yeast at 23 deg.

cheers thanks for the help tasted it to from the hyro test tube tastes malty as and abit sweat will this wear down abit or what can i expect ?

Essentially, it'll ferment out like any other brew, but will give you one hell of a kick! good to see you used a fair whack of malt in addition to the dextrose. The Ringwood will give it some flavour, but this will be a pretty malty brew on all accounts I'm guessing - nothing wrong with that though, you should enjoy it.

Cheers - boingk

Thats gonna be one kick arse brew. I have a coopers SA in the bottles now that I did according to the can ingredients but with 10g of Saaz hops added. Tasted one bottle yesterday after only 4 days in the bottles and it is very good. Some sugary taste I think from the bottling sugar, but I am really looking forward to them in a few weeks time eh.
Have fun and dont drink too many at once eh, unless you have a good time falling over and stuff

Thats gonna be one kick arse brew. I have a coopers SA in the bottles now that I did according to the can ingredients but with 10g of Saaz hops added. Tasted one bottle yesterday after only 4 days in the bottles and it is very good. Some sugary taste I think from the bottling sugar, but I am really looking forward to them in a few weeks time eh.
Have fun and dont drink too many at once eh, unless you have a good time falling over and stuff

thanks guys, its good to have a reasurance that it aint going to turn out hopeless.

ill keg it in 2 weeks or so and tell ya whats the FG and it tastes.. ETC.

cheers steve!

I also brewed this kit for the last two brews, they are conditioning in the bottle now. The first one is the kit + 1.5kg fermentables and the second is the same + about 20g saaz hops. It's encouraging to hear yours turned out well Mantis :beer:

hey beernography you think it would be worth dry hoppin some saaz hops befor being transfered from fermentor to keg ???

i got a bundel of them saaz hop pellets and would love to give it ago.

what youse think ??

cheers

The Ringwood will give it some flavour, but this will be a pretty malty brew on all accounts I'm guessing - nothing wrong with that though, you should enjoy it.

Cheers - boingk

Sorry to disagree, but the Sparkling Ale kit standard ingredient instructions are for a 1.5kg can of liquid malt AND a 500g packet of dry malt AND 300g of dextrose. The kit should in theory have enough bittering to cover 2 kg of malty additions. I don't know what's in that enhancer pack, but if it's half malt then this recipe is only 1.6kg of malty stuff.

I've done killer Sparkling Ales like this with 1.5kg of liquid malt and whole kg of dry malt and they turn out not too malty,
this brew should be just about right I reckon.

Yep ive done this kit with brewers blend 2 ..
very good 5 weeks old now. lhbs said leave for 4 months...
not sure about that wont be any left by then. havent trred adding extra hops or malts yet ..but it tastes like the stuff tho being ex crow eater only way im going to get it here is make it myself...
keep up the great posts. for this much underrated beer.

my hydro is reading 1.030 after 4 days in fermentation starting to slow up now do you really think i need to rack it to secondary if its going to be sitting in a keg for a week or two befor drinking ??

cheers.

my hydro is reading 1.030 after 4 days in fermentation starting to slow up now do you really think i need to rack it to secondary if its going to be sitting in a keg for a week or two befor drinking ??

cheers.

There are many people on here who know a heck of a lot more than me, but my understanding is that you should be waiting for 3 equal SG readings on different days. I'd say you still have a bit of a way to go yet as 1030 seems pretty high!

I hardly ever take SG readings, generally will though when I'm thinking of bottling. Chill out 'til its been there a week to 10 days then see what its up to. Anyway a brew takes on a deeper, darker, clearer look in the fermenter after fermentation is done as the yeast drops to the bottom - thats what I judge on most of the time, and its always been at my expected FG when I've taken the measurement.

The secret it to relax and let the yeasties go about their work :D

There are many people on here who know a heck of a lot more than me, but my understanding is that you should be waiting for 3 equal SG readings on different days. I'd say you still have a bit of a way to go yet as 1030 seems pretty high!
haha sorry boys you got the wrong impression big mis understanding. no way im keging this early lol sorry for making it sound like i am

my question was do i need to rack into secondary fermentor after fermentation is done if its going to be sitting in a keg for a week or so.. :D

cheers.

haha sorry boys you got the wrong impression big mis understanding. no way im keging this early lol sorry for making it sound like i am

my question was do i need to rack into secondary fermentor after fermentation is done if its going to be sitting in a keg for a week or so.. :D

cheers.

Mine leveled out at an SG of 1015 after 12 days so I would let it go a few more days before racking it.
There is a lot of malt in there for the yeast to use up.

yeah no worries mate will let yas no whats the end result after i keg it ETC.

cheers steve.

kegg'd it this arvo, FG turned out 1.015 stood like that for three days and heated it up alittle to try get that FG down a little but didnt move.

kegg'd it this arvo, FG turned out 1.015 stood like that for three days and heated it up alittle to try get that FG down a little but didnt move.

Nearly finished all mine now hic. Dunno what I did wrong, maybe should have left it alone for longer, but it tastes very sweet, almost sugary.

I have another batch in the fermenter and this time added 15g of Hallertau hops for 5 mins of boil and I also added 200g of dry wheat malt just for fun.

Just checked my notes on this one and its the only kit I have done so far where I boiled the kit can with the other malts, so I am thinking I screwed up the hop additions in the kit, and this is why it is so sweet.

:angry:

Latest posts

Back