Coopers selling full kit & bits recipe packs with free postage.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LHBS sells Light DME for $9.95 a kilo and Wheat DME for $12 p/kg, so coopers tins of unhopped goop still work out cheaper (with members discount and free delivery) and I don't even need to leave the house for it. My local Coles, Woolworths, Kmarts etc only seem to stock kit tins and the usual range of dextrose & brew enhancers. I guess it all depends on where you are and what is made available to you.

I think you South Australians have it good Hoppy2B, in so far as Coopers is your state beer (not like crappy XXXX here) and maybe you have more ready access to their full range products?

Got a few cans of the Coopers Un-hopped LME: Light, Wheat and Amber. Ordered last Thursday, arrived this morning in Sydney metro- probably would have been quicker without the weekend in between and worked out at about $9.95 / 1.5kg can with free delivery

Mine got delivered on a Saturday Pat. I think I ordered Wednesday or so. Was amazed when the delivery man rocked up

In Adelaide we have Brew Adelaide doing free delivery in the metro area of light DME at $8 a kilo. I don't see any bulk price on their webby.
Beer Belly do it at the same price and they have 5 kilo at $36 and 20 kilo at $125 pick up from store. I've been using some lately because its so convenient for making small test batches, so I can trial a range of different yeasts etc.

I'm sorry to hear you lot are unable to find it at similar prices out your way.

Bax said:
Mine got delivered on a Saturday Pat. I think I ordered Wednesday or so. Was amazed when the delivery man rocked up
I may or may not have been hoping mine would arrive Saturday...!

pretty impressed with em really- doesn't help with the whole impulse shopping thing though

brad81 said:
Just read the recipe for the steam beer. I'm confused as to why you would steep the grains in the refrigerator overnight. What does this achieve?

blackbeard2 said:
I'm also curious about this method of steeping vs the more common method of steeping of hot water for 30 odd minutes?

Bax said:
I had a quick google earlier, but most sites are blocked here unfortunately. It seems as though cold steeping helps avoid any harsher acrid tastes from dark grains. Don't take my word on this as I'm only paraphrasing what I read earlier.
And on the same note I read another post that mentioned hot water is a lot more soluble, and that you'd need more water, and the end result would be more likely to have less sugars extracted from the grains.
So I've been doing some hunting, and dropped an email to the gents at Coopers and Bax is pretty much on the money.

Best internet "description" I have found is here: http://beersmith.com/blog/2011/11/17/brewing-beer-with-dark-grains-steeping-versus-mashing/

Might try it out with the next stout I make.

Hi Guys.
Just wondering. I want to order a pile of Coopers Tins seeing they have free delivery along with our 10% discount. What I would like to know is how long will the cans last before I need to brew them. I have a couple of cans already at home, but do I just leave them, or do I need to put the yeast in the refridge? I usually go the States for 3 months during Feb-April each year, so probably wouldn't brew them before I get back, as I have plenty of beer waiting to be consumed! Thanks in advance. Cheers

Should be a used by date on them.
The yeast is pretty hardy, you could also buy some decent yeast when brew time comes.

Fresh is best. Obviously the yeast hasn't been stored in the fridge, but you should pop it in the fridge anyway. When I get a kit I look for the one with the latest BB date possible, and I tend to brew them straight away. Unless you're getting the TC range I'd stick with Big W.

+1 to using the freshest kit possible.

I pretty certain that the coopers kit tins are good for up to a year but like anything preserved in a tin, fresher is better. That's not to say you couldn't make a decent beer from an older tin but if you are not going to have them brewed before you head of to the US for 3 months in Feb then I'd suggest buying them when you get back. Like VonScott, I find Big W is good for kits (here in Brisbane at least).

I am told that coopers do the free delivery deal every 6 months or so and you'll have to weigh the 10% saving on a $13 - 16 kit against the idea of buying fresher kits upon your return.

All in all the difference in taste isn't huge, but neither are the savings on basic kits.

I believe the Coopers kits have a used by date of 2 years after production. When I've ordered from the Coopers store the kits have always had been at least 18 months away from the expiration date. Likewise at my local BigW I can almost always pick up the kit i'm looking for with at least 18 months remaining until it expires, often I can even get them with 20 or 22 months remaining.

Another fresh ones popped up guys.

https://store.coopers.com.au/shop-diy-beer/recipeofthemonth/

SUNKISSED WEISS RECIPE PACK

• Ref: DBR312
    AUD $40.99
This delightful Weissbier displays alluring deep golden hues and carries a little extra flavour than typical commercial versions, whilst still maintaining a refreshing appeal for drinking through the warmer months.
The specialty grain addition of Crystal Wheat contributes the subtlest hint of chocolate and coffee aromas plus a little more colour, pushing this brew to the upper limit of the Weissbier 15.A. category (BJCP style guidelines). The Perle hop addition, adds a little more backbone to the bitterness level, which also helps to balance any residual sweetness from the Crystal Wheat.
As with most Weizens, the yeast is a key ingredient in this recipe. The Munich Wheat yeast tends to throw hints of banana and subtle smoked bacon aromas, which might sound a bit odd but is considered desirable in many commercial versions. We’ve chosen an addition of Light Malt extract, which places this recipe a little outside of the minimum 50% wheat content style guideline. This works nicely in the recipe but you may like to use Wheat Malt extract instead.
This style tends to mature quickly in the bottle so drink it young!!
Ingredients
1.7kg Thomas Cooper Wheat Beer
1.5kg Thomas Cooper Light Malt extract
300g Crystal Wheat
25g Perle Hops
11g Munich Yeast

Seems a bit dear imo compared to other past kits.

Bax beat me too it again! Yes a new brew and a wheat beer too, which I am very fond of. Though I've never used Perle hops I am intrigued by it's description;

"A palate pleaser with it's moderate, pleasant, minty clean bittering qualities and refreshing, spicy 'green hop' aroma"

However I am pretty stocked up since they began their free shipping period and probably won't need to buy any more kits for a few months. I'll give this one a miss.

menoetes said:
However I am pretty stocked up since they began their free shipping period and probably won't need to buy any more kits for a few months. I'll give this one a miss.
I'm in the same boat. Currently have the base ingredients for my next three batches ready to go. Should keep my single FV busy until late January at least.

I should have taken more advantage of the free postage. With christmas and holidays coming up its hard to spare a few bucks.

Its my last few days before holidays menoetes, if its on the internet and remotely interesting I'm there! You'll get the next one

Bax said:
Its my last few days before holidays menoetes, if its on the internet and remotely interesting I'm there! You'll get the next one
Yeah yeah, promises promises...

Braumoasta said:
I believe the Coopers kits have a used by date of 2 years after production. When I've ordered from the Coopers store the kits have always had been at least 18 months away from the expiration date. Likewise at my local BigW I can almost always pick up the kit i'm looking for with at least 18 months remaining until it expires, often I can even get them with 20 or 22 months remaining.
I received my selection of Thomas Cooper Selection cans this morning.The expiry dates are from August to October 2015.I ordered them late Monday so good service.

I waited menoetes!

Fresh one popped up, I've been hanging out for another.

"Marilyn's Secret"

https://store.coopers.com.au/shop/product/marilyns-secret/

This recipe is a version of an American Blonde Ale (category 6.B. of the BJCP guidelines) with some extra hop character. Sure, an American Blonde could be made by simply using the brew can, wheat malt and light dry malt but we think the hop additions add an extra element of "sassy".
Ingredients
1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5kg Thomas Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
500g Light Dry Malt
25g Motueka Hop Pellets
25g Vic Secret Hop Pellets
1 x 11g Danstar BRY-97 (or Ale yeast of your choice)

Latest posts

Back