Coopers Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo5253

Reaction score
Hi all,
decided to make a Pale Ale with a difference. Added a tin of light malt and was meant to add 500g of corn syrup, but instead I added 1kg.
Is this brew dead or is it going to taste like shit?
Just proves not to rush a brew when ya get back from holidays!!!

Cheers

Robbo

How big is the brew?

If it was a 1.7kg tin and 1kg of dextrose, you'll end up with a midstrength ale for 23L. If it was a tin of unhopped light malt, you might end up with a pretty boring beer on the bitterness :/. All the extra dextrose will do is add a little more alcohol, just a tin and 500g was not enough anyway (assuming a 20-23L brew).

It's kinda hard to kill a beer by muffing up the ingredients; much much more likely for something to go wrong with the sanitation or fermentation, if you're careful with those you shouldn't have a problem!

Has a tin of Pale Ale, a 1.5kg Tin of Coopers Light Malt Extract and 1kg of Dried Corn Syrup in a 23l brew. On one of the calcs it said around 5.9%.
Seems to be fermenting away well, just wasnt sure if it was going to taste like crap

Cheers

Robbo

Ahh yeah, sounds good. Did you take a hydrometer reading before pitching? That will allow you to calculate the Alc/vol of the beer along with a reading after fermentation.

Should be rather tasty.

Robbo,
I would suggest adding a few hops to the secondary (dry hop) as it may well be a thick sweet beer as is.
For the record powdered corn syrup in Australia is Maltodextrine, added usually upto about 250g for a 23l batch to add mouth feel. This is sometimes added to the brew booster type packs that you may see in your HBS, some are blends of dextrose and maltodextrine and others also have dry malt.

In America what they refer to as corn syrup is actually dextrose.

I'm guessing that you've added maltodextine and not dextrose (a simple brewing sugar). If I'm right that much Maltodextrine can give some unusual flavours (so I've read). It will also leave you with a beer that will have a very high finishing gravity as it isn't fully fermentable.
Add about 20-25 grams of hops to secondary and hop for the best.
Cheers
AC

when I made Pale Ale with just 1 kg of light malt it came out a very malty drop indeed. I didn't mind it, but others thought it was far too malty. Add some finishing hops, maybe 20g of Goldings into the secondary and let it sit for as long asyou are game. Still, needed some bittereing hops. If its only just started fermenting maybe boil up 20 g in a litre of water for an hour and and thestrained liquid to fermenter now to bitter this up a bit more.

Never played with hops before, this is only my 4th brew, but might call past the home brew shop and see what they have on offer!!

Cheers

Robbo

Latest posts

Back