Coopers pale ale clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys I'm a massive fan of Coopers Pale Ale and looking to make a partial mash clone! I realise the coopers kits are there but I want a kick arse pale ale..... Any ideas?????

Definitely harvest bottle yeast from a few coopers - couple of God YouTube videos on how to do it. Start 3-4 days before brew day. Keep ferment temps round 16-18 degrees. Depending how you brew, can of pale malt and a wheat can, hop with pride of ringwood to 22 - 28 ibus depending on preference, touch of carared stepped is also a nice touch. Plenty of recipes around on the web. Try hop flowers too, nicer flavour. Just a 60 min boil addition.
What level are you at? How do you brew?
I've made sine brilliant ag clones, but can't till winter due to temp control issues.

pickaxe

Sorry, saw you said partial - how partial you talking? What are your volumes?

pickaxe

POR for bittering, Cooper's yeast from the bottle, nowt else.

Sorry, saw you said partial - how partial you talking? What are your volumes?pickaxe
gday pickaxe! Well this will be my first partial. I've been just k&k for a couple years looking to take next step. So any advice is very much appreciated

Coopers Pale Ale kit + BE2 + recultered coopers bottle yeast brewed at 18*c will give you a bang on replica.

Going one step further than a partial...ie AG

Standard JWM or BB pale malt with 10% wheat malt, bittered to 35IBU with POR..mostly at bittering, using re-cultered coopers yeast.

Coopers Pale is actually very easy to replicate.

I started doing mini mashes in a 4l drink bottle, bout kilo of grain to 2l water from memory, which really gave my extract brews something because it opened up all the grains for me to use beyond just stepping spec malts - ie a bit of Munich was my first success. Then I got a 15l drink bottle insulated for mini mashes but in the end, blokes like Ducati and Lord Raja goomba convinced me going AG was easier. Check out goombas 2 pot and lauter thread or similar. Pushed me over, but I had done some mini mashes, found it helpful. If you have a 35+ litre esky, I'd get some Swiss voile from spotlight, curtain material, read up on biab and jump to ag. All you need extra is a digi thermometer, 2 big w pots and the gear you probably already have. If you've done extract, it's only one extra step, mashing, which is not scary at all. Mash = make wort which just replaces cans and water you already use. Heaps of good vids on YouTube and guides here.
Like Ducati said, coopers is easy. Close is easy.

pickaxe

Edit - spelling

If you follow the instructions, and obviously you have the basics down, ag is simple. You'll never look back, I didn't, and it was only through reading here, watching YouTube, and getting stuck in. In hindsight, my mini mash and partial days were no less work than ag, and exactly the same process. Don't let people convince you it's a huge step, dint listen if it sounds more complicated, a lit of that is either experience brewers tweaking, or someone making it sound bigger than it is - bragging or gloating. Make a big 'tea', get 'tea' and make beer as usual. Simple.

Good luck.

Sorry about the rant - just want to pass on the encouragement I got. Ag is EASY! Idiots make it, so can you.

pickaxe

Not much, if any difference between a partial and full AG. Takes the same amount of time

If you follow the instructions, and obviously you have the basics down, ag is simple. You'll never look back, I didn't, and it was only through reading here, watching YouTube, and getting stuck in. In hindsight, my mini mash and partial days were no less work than ag, and exactly the same process. Don't let people convince you it's a huge step, dint listen if it sounds more complicated, a lit of that is either experience brewers tweaking, or someone making it sound bigger than it is - bragging or gloating. Make a big 'tea', get 'tea' and make beer as usual. Simple.Good luck.Sorry about the rant - just want to pass on the encouragement I got. Ag is EASY! Idiots make it, so can you.pickaxe
G'day again pickaxe!! Don't apologise for ranting I honestly appreciate your reply! I definitely want to take the next step and yes ag seems daunting. It's nice to hear otherwise! I just want to brew kick arse beers as I'm sure we all do! I can't wait to start moving up

If you follow the instructions, and obviously you have the basics down, ag is simple. You'll never look back, I didn't, and it was only through reading here, watching YouTube, and getting stuck in. In hindsight, my mini mash and partial days were no less work than ag, and exactly the same process. Don't let people convince you it's a huge step, dint listen if it sounds more complicated, a lit of that is either experience brewers tweaking, or someone making it sound bigger than it is - bragging or gloating. Make a big 'tea', get 'tea' and make beer as usual. Simple.Good luck.Sorry about the rant - just want to pass on the encouragement I got. Ag is EASY! Idiots make it, so can you.pickaxe
G'day again pickaxe!! Don't apologise for ranting I honestly appreciate your reply! I definitely want to take the next step and yes ag seems daunting. It's nice to hear otherwise! I just want to brew kick arse beers as I'm sure we all do! I can't wait to start moving up

And the equipment is not that expensive. Its just a one off cost

All I used was a 26lt esky with false bottom with some pluming fittings and tap from bunnings, 40ltr pot that I made by joining 2 Big W 20 pots together with a tap for a kettle and a 3ring burner.

You just need to be creative.

Just because you have a shiney fully blinged 3v rig with pumps and stuff does not mean your beer will be any better than a brewer with an esky and a big old pot sitting on the floor of his garage.

Back