Coopers Original Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munut

Reaction score
Big W in Armadale had Coopers Original Bitter for $5 a can when I was there last night. Not sure why, they where more in date than the other varietys.

I grabed 3 cans leaving one behind so would not know how much they have left or if it's this price at there other stores.

I have not used the bitter before is it any good?

I have used the Coopers Draught a number of times doing K&Bs and was happy with that, I assume I can expect the bitter to be of similar quality?

Was considering using two to do a two can and maybe giving it a good dry hop a couple of days into fermentation any ideas?

Thanks

I think it would be on special because Coopers no longer makes the Original Bitter. It has been replaced with there International English bitter. I have made both, they taste the same yet diffrent if you know what i mean? I actualy still have a can of the Original bitter in my cubord aswell.

It was the same for me two days ago at Mittagong Big W. I bought the last three. Sucks they have stopped it if it turns out good...

here are some recipe ideas for people getting the last remainding Original Bitters.....

Paul from Coopers says Original Bitter pluss BE2 are a fav for many people.....

Also some others....

UK BITTER STYLE
1.7kg Original Series Bitter,
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
2 x 12g Fuggles hops (Hop Infusion)
Made to 20 litres
Ferment as close to 21C as possible.
Use half the normal priming sugar and serve at 10-15C. (Although you might like to serve it more like 8-10C.)

Or....

Extra Smooth Bitter - 22 litres

The addition of Molasses produces a slight buttery character which smooths the perceived level of bitterness.

Ingredients

1.7kg Coopers Bitter
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1
200g Molasses

I got the last can from big w then went to k-mart and got them to price match it and picked up another 8 cans, some of yous might wanna give that a go. I dunno if it's any good but if it isn't I can boil it off and it'll be cheap malt extract. The cans I got expire Jun2010 but theres about a dozen cans I lleft at port adelaide k-mart thet expired mid2008.
Does anyone know if they would still be ok to boil it up and use ? Ive never done that, anyone know how long to boil the hops out of it? ? Cheers

I got the last can from big w then went to k-mart and got them to price match it and picked up another 8 cans, some of yous might wanna give that a go. I dunno if it's any good but if it isn't I can boil it off and it'll be cheap malt extract. The cans I got expire Jun2010 but theres about a dozen cans I lleft at port adelaide k-mart thet expired mid2008.
Does anyone know if they would still be ok to boil it up and use ? Ive never done that, anyone know how long to boil the hops out of it? ? Cheers

Boiling the can contents will not remove the bitterness of the hops only the flavour and aroma if it had any to start with.

Use out dated cans to make a toucan brew, Some of the guys on here may give you an idea what to mix it with. I made a Toucan brew........two months out of date coopers bavarian lager mixed with a new coopers original stout, 300g sugar, stout yeast pluss a 15g pack of english ale yeast. chuck the old yeast out. taste good!

Big W in Armadale had Coopers Original Bitter for $5 a can when I was there last night. Not sure why, they where more in date than the other varietys.

I grabed 3 cans leaving one behind so would not know how much they have left or if it's this price at there other stores.

I have not used the bitter before is it any good?

I have used the Coopers Draught a number of times doing K&Bs and was happy with that, I assume I can expect the bitter to be of similar quality?

Was considering using two to do a two can and maybe giving it a good dry hop a couple of days into fermentation any ideas?

Thanks

I bought one of these last week.........just checked the use by it's Dec 2010........so they are still out there. Was from an IGA in Ipswich.

I switched to extract not long after buying these and have 2 cans left.

I can't seem to bring myself to going back to a kit so if anyone lives near me and wants to pick them up there all yours.
They have been refrigerated since I brought them home. Not sure of best before date as I'm at work now.

I would rather know they are getting converted into glorious beer than throwing them out.

Latest posts

Back