Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled this today. FG 1.008. Not a strong hop flavour. Could be a nice light easy drinking beer.

Sent from my HDC-08 using Tapatalk 4

After 2 Weeks in the bottle this brew is OK too much malt and too little hop for my liking. Slightly sweet after taste. I'll leave it for another week before I open another one. At this point if I did another one I would use dex and maltodextrine to reduce the maltiness.

Sent from my HDC-08 using Tapatalk 4

The combo I put down with the 25g of Cascade dry hopped, was the Cerveza can, 100g dextrose, 125g dark spray malt( had it lying around) and 250g maltodextrin, and kit yeast, came out at about 3.9% ABV.

ok results are in.
I did this one and kegged it for what must be about 7 weeks I guess.

As far as a kit beer goes it is pretty good.
It tastes a bit like corona.

Doubt I could be bothered doing it again though.

recharge said:
Anyone else drinking there mex yet??

:beer:
I am drinking mine and it's pretty decent by my standards (don't read too much into that comment). I left the 1st stage ferm for 6 weeks and 2nd stage for another 6 weeks. Brew held steady temp of 21 degrees over the 1st stage. 2 carb drops per glass bottle and the taste is pretty good. I did the kit so it had the can, packet yeast and BE2. Got to use my new bench capper and Green caps and I even splurged and purchased some brew labels for my 1st attempt with the glass bottles.

The only thing I am concerned about is the head lasts momentarily (about 30sec after pouring) however the beer itself still is bubbly and fresh.

As is the Head retention on this kit setup is not that great Fuseo. I'd recommend using the coopers 1.4kg of wheat extract instead of the BE2, or steeping Carapils grain. Both should aid in head retention.

I've just put down my 4th incarnation of this kit. It involved the kit extract, 400g of Carapils grain steeped for 30 minutes, and 20g Amarillo hops boiled at 15 minutes and 5 minutes and dry hopped(totaling 60g), and Nottingham yeast. Attemping a light/ mid strength beer and I'm using the coopers Cerveza to trial/learn about hops flavour. I've done - no hops, Cascade, Hallertau and now Amarillo. The carapils should help with the head retention, but wheat extra will do the same( have done this with other brews - 1kg).

I highly recommend a Citra or cascade hops version, for this brew to emulate the lemon/lime people so often put in Carona's. 20 - 25g Dry hopped is the easiest way to get started.

My latest version is still in the Primary FV so I'll try and remember to let you know how it goes, if your interested!

This must be about the longest running thread on AHB, with a five star necro award.

I reckon the Coopers Cerveza and Canadian Blonde kits, being light and mildy flavoured, are heroes as they are really good for pimping up with spec malts, partials and hops and don't seem to display the kit twang compared to some of the other variants in the Coopers range.

Is it just a coincidence but each time I drink this brew I get a headache! It tastes good and doesn't smell weird or is discoloured but every time I have a small session with this particular brew I get a wicked headache about two longnecks in!

Any light you can shed on that or you reckon its just coincidence???

What adjunct do you use with the tin? According to a couple of home brew writers there's such a thing as a "sugar headache" with some sensitive drinkers that they put down to some fusels and other weird alcohols that get produced when yeast has to deal with a lot of sucrose, just traces but enough to tip the thing in sensitive individuals.

Bribie G said:
What adjunct do you use with the tin? According to a couple of home brew writers there's such a thing as a "sugar headache" with some sensitive drinkers that they put down to some fusels and other weird alcohols that get produced when yeast has to deal with a lot of sucrose, just traces but enough to tip the thing in sensitive individuals.
The kit with yeast from the lid and BE2. Carb drops to prime and the only other different thing I have done between this brew and my 1st (Coopers Can kit Aussie Lager) was the use of glass long necks as opposed to the PET ones that came with my starter kit. The first brew had zero affect (headache wise) on me so obviously I have continued on with the cerveza but yeah this one is almost making me think i should tip the whole thing. A side note to mention that NO ONE else has had these effects from my beer. Just me.... *sigh*

May just be coincidence........what sugars did you use in your lager that doesn't cause the problem

yum beer said:
May just be coincidence........what sugars did you use in your lager that doesn't cause the problem
BE1 only.

I'm sure it's it's just in my head (pardon the inevitable pun) but I am worried that I may have to tip this stuff out....

Hey guys thought I kegged this a couple of weeks ago and I am rapt with it.

I have made 8 kit brews now (usually adding extra hops and light dry malt or something else) and this is by far my favourite so far :)

1 can Coopers Mexican Cerveza
1kg Coopers brew enhancer 1
500gm Coopers light dry malt extract
15grams Citra hops @ 15 minutes
15grams Centennial hops @ 15 minutes
15grams Citra hops @ 1 minute
15grams Centennial hops @ 1 minute
Kit yeast

5L boil and fermented at 18 degrees.

Tastes great :)

So I have NOT tipped the batch out and the extended second fermentation has actually made this beer taste amazingly more full than when I first tried the brew. Definitely trying this one again.

So I put one of these on nearly 3 weeks ago, and it's still bubbling away. is this normal? Used the yeast from the kit, with BE 1 and an extra 200 grams of dextrose. was going to test the SG tonight and see where its at.

cheers
Damo

No its not normal. Taste it and see . Most infections will ruin your beer but some don't. At 18c I've found the coopers kit yeast takes 7 days max. So you have an infection or the ferm temp is lower than what you think. Although even if it is lower 3 weeks seems a bit long.

wereprawn said:
No its not normal. Taste it and see . Most infections will ruin your beer but some don't. At 18c I've found the coopers kit yeast takes 7 days max. So you have an infection or the ferm temp is lower than what you think. Although even if it is lower 3 weeks seems a bit long.
In the past i've found it's between 7 - 10 days. It's been awhile since I've brewed and wasn't sure. Temp has probably sat around the 20c give or take a few.

So possibly my first infection. Bummer.... Not happy jan!!

Edit: Will be 3 weeks on Saturday.

SG is sitting at 1.017ish, which is still fairly high from my experience, only started at 1.036. Had a tasting and can't really taste any thing bad, but then again I'm not really saure what I'm looking for either.

Another thing, the kit was 2 months past it's best before, which I didn't realise until throwing the can in the bin.

Just not sure if I should dump and start again or persist and see how it goes. If I do continue, it'll be my first kegged beer.

That's odd Damo. The only think i can think of is that the yeast was not good due to age. Could try throwing a fresh pack in.If it refuses to cooperate after that you may as well keg , refrigerate, gas and drink quick so you can try again imo..

Latest posts

Back