Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a taste of this (recipe previous page) when taking a reading this morning, it smells like a fresh peach, and also has a very pleasant peach taste. Did a bit of research based on this and it seems the glacier is also known to give peach flavour and aroma, certainly no lemon flavour in this batch!

Not at all what i was expecting but the wort tasted very good, so very interested to see how it develops, should be a very nice drop ice cold on a hot day though.

cool man. let us know how this one goes.. I picked up 8 cans of Cerveza for $6 each when coles were clearing them out. Would like to try your recipe if it comes out any good..

Bignath

I just put down my first brew in a while. I tried this one - but spilt some of the boiled malt BE2 mix. Oops - and then to compound the problem I added too much water as well - I was worried that it wouldn't have any flavour (especially after reading this thread)... so I added a bottle of bickford's lime cordial. It's about 1/6-1/7 of the concentration the cordial is meant to be so hopefully it won't be too overpowering, but instead add a dry lime hint. Or it'll taste lie crud. Oh well - time will tell.

Oh - ps - I also added the yeast too warm. By a long shot. It was telling me the fermenter was down to 30 degrees, but then the thermometer shot up again. Probably around 38, maybe even 40. Did I fuxor the yeast? Will it cook the yeast? It's too late to get to the brew shop now. It smells yeasty - so hopefully not too cooked (kit yeast) - but if it is and I wait until tomorrow morning to grab another yeast will it be ruined? Should I just junk it?

Hi Tanga,

Did I fuxor the yeast? Will it cook the yeast?
Possibly i would check for signd of fermentation, is it bubbling through the airlock, what your hydrom reading is and has it changed. I wouldn't chuck it yet at worst you may inadvertantly have added some yeast nutrient at that temp though.

J

Hi Tanga,

Did I fuxor the yeast? Will it cook the yeast?
Possibly i would check for signd of fermentation, is it bubbling through the airlock, what your hydrom reading is and has it changed. I wouldn't chuck it yet at worst you may inadvertantly have added some yeast nutrient at that temp though.

J

Haha! Thanks J. It is fermenting great guns - so the yeast is OK. The temp is around 22 - 24 now. How hard should I try to bring the temp down? The plan for this one is to be a Christmas quaffer for a XXXX and a couple of Hahn superdry drinkers - so a bit of fruityness is OK.

Any one added cordial to the wort before? I've used it as a primer in apple cider before but not in the wort before.

PS - is it too late to add some more for flavour (it's been in the fermenter 12 hours now). To the person who added coriander - how did that turn out?

Haha! Thanks J. It is fermenting great guns - so the yeast is OK. The temp is around 22 - 24 now. How hard should I try to bring the temp down? The plan for this one is to be a Christmas quaffer for a XXXX and a couple of Hahn superdry drinkers - so a bit of fruityness is OK.

Any one added cordial to the wort before? I've used it as a primer in apple cider before but not in the wort before.

I've added lime juice cordial to bottle condition a Cerveza to make a kinda Raddler beer.
I just used the nutritional guide to work out the dosage. Pretty sure it's 6 grms of sugar carbohydrate per 750mL bottle.
(35mL i think?...dont quote me on that)

BTW it turned out a success. Very easy to drink on a hot day.
I must say that I reckon u need to keep that Pitch & ferment temp right down at least for the first 1/3 of the ferment.

Before getting a wort chiller I used to sterilize some take away containers and fill them with clean/sterile water & freeze them the night before I brew. Put the ice in the wort after the boil & it will help drop the heat quickly

Cheers

James :icon_cheers:

My last batch has just finished bottle conditioning and i got to say I am really happy. I used Safbrew yeast and it fermented for about 5 weeks at 14c. I carbonated for 2.7 vol of CO2. Tasted it last night, has a similar taste to Hoeegarden, carbination is perfect to what i like, head retention is ok but will get better with time. Head formation is really great. Next time i will steeping some grains, and adding coriander seeds and orange peel to really bring out the Hoeegarden flavour. I think the Safbrew yeast really have a nice complimenting flavour to this style of beer.

I can't get the heat down so I'll just have to live with it I guess. Lime Juice sounds like an interesting addition for this one. Though I like the idea of adding some wit ingredients I think the high temp ferment (with the provided yeast) might clash so I'll stick to the lime.

I'm using a wet towel around the fermenter with the fan on. The freezer is full of my flatemates' stuff so I'm in trouble with bringing the heat down =(. Hopefully it's not too bad. 24 is pretty warm though.

1x Coopers Cerveza Kit
500g ldme
500g Rice Malt Syrup
100g carapils
20g Glacier @20,
20g Glacier @ 5
30g @ flameout
US05 yeast
Any advice?

Been in the bottle two weeks now, also dry hopped with 20g of glacier, had a few yesterday with some friends who helped harvest my crop of garlic. Very refreshing, plenty of citrus and peach flavours, light body, gentle bitterness at the end. Had to whack a few more in the freezer to cool quicky everyone knocked them back so fast. Got what i was after, an easy drinking beer with a good hit of flavour.

Been in the bottle two weeks now, also dry hopped with 20g of glacier, had a few yesterday with some friends who helped harvest my crop of garlic. Very refreshing, plenty of citrus and peach flavours, light body, gentle bitterness at the end. Had to whack a few more in the freezer to cool quicky everyone knocked them back so fast. Got what i was after, an easy drinking beer with a good hit of flavour.

Excellent! sounds good.

Last week I kegged the following:
Coopers Mex tin
1kg LDME
500g Dex
250g Crystal steeped at 68deg for 20min
20g Galaxy 20min
15g Galaxy 7min

Had the first glass on Friday arvo, very happy. Turned out a little Fat Yak-ish

I kegged a Coopers Cerveza as follows, it turned out bloody nice and I have a mate who is a Sommelier and he thought it was great (as a girl beer for hot summer arvos).

Coopers Creveza
BE2 1kg
Exta 200g Dex
Juice 2 limes and put juice in water and some of the BE2 and bring to the boil
Rind of 2 limes (none of the white stuff though) in hop bag, add to the boil for 5minutes only
At flame out add 15-20g Cascade hops in hop sock (you could also dry hop in fermenter), and add it all to fermenter
Top to 23l
I added kit yeast, but think US-05 would be great and clean
Kept to 20 degrees for 9 days and kegged.

My Sommelier mate said he could detect crushed pineapple on the back palet, but I think it was just the Cascade, anyway a very fresh, clean beer, subtle hints of lime and a real refresher on a hot day...definately something quick easy and a crowd pleaser for the Xmas drinkers!

Shyte - it just occurred to me - just over a month to Christmas and all I'll have in kegs will be Yorkshire Reds, Speckled Hens, Dunkels etc. I'm going to get hung out to dry if I don't crank out something yellow and mega. Might just run up a quick mini BIAB in my new electric stockpot arrangement with a kilo of base malt I have surplus, add a can of Cerveza and 750 dex, I have Galena coming out of my ears and S-189 at 19 degrees.

Done and dusted by Xmas no worries.

I kegged a Coopers Cerveza as follows, it turned out bloody nice and I have a mate who is a Sommelier and he thought it was great (as a girl beer for hot summer arvos).

Coopers Creveza
BE2 1kg
Exta 200g Dex
Juice 2 limes and put juice in water and some of the BE2 and bring to the boil
Rind of 2 limes (none of the white stuff though) in hop bag, add to the boil for 5minutes only
At flame out add 15-20g Cascade hops in hop sock (you could also dry hop in fermenter), and add it all to fermenter
Top to 23l
I added kit yeast, but think US-05 would be great and clean
Kept to 20 degrees for 9 days and kegged.

My Sommelier mate said he could detect crushed pineapple on the back palet, but I think it was just the Cascade, anyway a very fresh, clean beer, subtle hints of lime and a real refresher on a hot day...definately something quick easy and a crowd pleaser for the Xmas drinkers!

Great recipe and well constructed. Now you just have to hold off drinking it all by Xmas.
If you end up using the US05 in another batch I'd recommend a 18C-20C ferment for a good result.
Good point to boil the lime juice with the sugar and also not using the bitter white pith on the lime.
Keep up the good work!

Great recipe and well constructed. Now you just have to hold off drinking it all by Xmas.
If you end up using the US05 in another batch I'd recommend a 18C-20C ferment for a good result.
Good point to boil the lime juice with the sugar and also not using the bitter white pith on the lime.
Keep up the good work!

No need to worry, I have another Cerveza down ready to keg this coming weekend to keep for Christmas, plan to have 4 kegs running at Christmas. 1 Golden Ale, 2 CPA clones, 1 Cerveza and have a stock of 90 bottles ready to go!
Should be a festive season!
I agree with the 18-20 with US-05, keeping to themp down using frozed PET bottles and blankets I can get it pretty close in summer.
Have a good one!

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I'm looking for some help with my mexican cerveza.

Ive used the cerveza tin and the yeast that comes with it and BE2 as recommended on the tin.

My SG was 1036 and my current reading is 1012 thus giving an current abv of around 3.7%, it has been fermenting at around 18-21c for 9 days and the reading has been 1012 for the last two days.

Can i add more sugar at this stage to bump up the abv or am i stuck with 3.7% as this is a little weak for me, i'd prefer around 4.5-5%. Has fermentation finished as my hydrometer readings have been the same the last two days?

Also, is it best to transfer my batch to another fermenting bucket to try and leave the sediment in the bottom of the first bucket or should i just bottle from the bucket it's currently in?

I'm gonna use coopers carbonation drops to bottle, maybe a stupid question but when i bottle and add the carbonation drops and leave my bottles for a few weeks, do the carbonation drops then increase the abv of the beer as long as you leave the bottles for a while or are they just to give fizz when opening the bottles?

Any help/advice would me much appreciated.

1.7kg Coopers Mexican Cerveza
1 kg Dextrose
1 Brew Enhancer 1
7g Lime Zest
7g Coopers Yeast
7g Fining
23 l Spring Water
Carbonation Drops two per 640ml Amber glass Bottle

Temperature 24c
OG 1.066
FG 1.008
8.2%
Bottled 3/9/11

Opening: lots of Fizz and smoke
Look: EBC 2? A very Pale Ale, lot's of carbonation and a very good white head
Aroma: very fruity, No hops aroma
Taste :IBU 5, Light, very sweet, very little malt and very refreshing
The same as: very close to Corona but better

Can i add more sugar at this stage to bump up the abv or am i stuck with 3.7% as this is a little weak for me, i'd prefer around 4.5-5%. Has fermentation finished as my hydrometer readings have been the same the last two days?

Also, is it best to transfer my batch to another fermenting bucket to try and leave the sediment in the bottom of the first bucket or should i just bottle from the bucket it's currently in?

I'm gonna use coopers carbonation drops to bottle, maybe a stupid question but when i bottle and add the carbonation drops and leave my bottles for a few weeks, do the carbonation drops then increase the abv of the beer as long as you leave the bottles for a while or are they just to give fizz when opening the bottles?

Any help/advice would me much appreciated.

Hi BCurtis,

To answer your questions the simple answer is yes to all.

To incvrease the abv% I would think that another 500g of LDME/Dextrose would put your gravity to where you want.

Transferring to a secondary vessel can be done but is not nessesary sometimes it is good to wake up your yeast or if your planning to age a brew, as a rule i generally dont but that me personally and have brews on the yeast cake for up to 4 weeks.

Finally carb drops will do both, the secondary fermentation will convert the sugar to alcohole and give of Co2 which cant escape the lid on the bottle thus carbonating your beer. Generally you can add .5% to the abv.

hope that helps

Jan

Hi BCurtis,

To answer your questions the simple answer is yes to all.

To incvrease the abv% I would think that another 500g of LDME/Dextrose would put your gravity to where you want.

Transferring to a secondary vessel can be done but is not nessesary sometimes it is good to wake up your yeast or if your planning to age a brew, as a rule i generally dont but that me personally and have brews on the yeast cake for up to 4 weeks.

Finally carb drops will do both, the secondary fermentation will convert the sugar to alcohole and give of Co2 which cant escape the lid on the bottle thus carbonating your beer. Generally you can add .5% to the abv.

hope that helps

Jan

Cheers for the reply!!!

I've only got 1kg of brewing sugar in the house will this do the job??

How much longer roughly would I have to leave it for if i was to add more sugar?? Temp wise i'm sitting around 18 c, the very highest i'm getting is 21, am in Scotland can't really expect much more although the weather is not bad at the moment....indian summer in next few days apparentyl!!!

Also, if i were to add more sugar, will this alter the taste much or will it just make the abv stronger but the body/taste of the beer will stay the same??

cheers

Ben ( first time brewer )

Back