Coopers Mexican Cerveza

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for the reply!!!

I've only got 1kg of brewing sugar in the house will this do the job??

How much longer roughly would I have to leave it for if i was to add more sugar?? Temp wise i'm sitting around 18 c, the very highest i'm getting is 21, am in Scotland can't really expect much more although the weather is not bad at the moment....indian summer in next few days apparentyl!!!

Also, if i were to add more sugar, will this alter the taste much or will it just make the abv stronger but the body/taste of the beer will stay the same??

cheers

Ben ( first time brewer )

Hi Ben,

Sugars generally only are used to increase the abv and make the beer feel thinner in the mouth. They can some times leave a cidery flavour in the beer. So having said that adding 500g of sugar will put you in the ball park of what your aiming for, personally i would use LDME but that is just me.

Seeing that you have already had this brewing for close to 2 weeks it sounds like its done according to your SG readings and can be bottled now. Adding the additional fermentable maybe another week or so, just use your hydrometer see once its done.

Temp wise 18-21 temp range is fine for a kit yeast, raising the temp towards the end of fermentation can help eating up some residual sugars, so don't sweat it, the yeast has done the bulk of the work.

I would stress, if your happy with how it is now then your pretty close to where want to be so you could put it down to learning this is your first brew so don't expect to get every thing right as your learning the process.

One tool i have found works well is the K&K spreadsheet link http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...9655&st=380, it can help plan your next brew.

Jan.

Hi Ben,

Sugars generally only are used to increase the abv and make the beer feel thinner in the mouth. They can some times leave a cidery flavour in the beer. So having said that adding 500g of sugar will put you in the ball park of what your aiming for, personally i would use LDME but that is just me.

Seeing that you have already had this brewing for close to 2 weeks it sounds like its done according to your SG readings and can be bottled now. Adding the additional fermentable maybe another week or so, just use your hydrometer see once its done.

Temp wise 18-21 temp range is fine for a kit yeast, raising the temp towards the end of fermentation can help eating up some residual sugars, so don't sweat it, the yeast has done the bulk of the work.

I would stress, if your happy with how it is now then your pretty close to where want to be so you could put it down to learning this is your first brew so don't expect to get every thing right as your learning the process.

One tool i have found works well is the K&K spreadsheet by IanH - link - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...9655&st=380, it can help plan your next brew.

Jan.

LDME = "light spray malt" where you are.
Yes it would definitely improve flavour and mouthfeel compared to sugar or glucose, consider it for your next batch.

Another trick would to be using a tin of Lyles Golden Syrup plus an extra 200g sugar to lend a bit more interest. Lyles is partly "inverted" and will ferment faster.

I have had a lot of success with Coopers Mexican Cerveza and dry hopping with Super Alpha hops. I'm told that's the hop variety used in Corona but don't quote me on it. I lagered it for a while and the amount of citrus notes that came out was awesome. I'm guessing Super Alpha and Glacier, one or the other would be on par.

Brew Meister said:
I carbonated for 2.7 vol of CO2.
Is this around the mid range for this style? Going to bulk prime into Tap King bottles next week.

I'd think corona may be even less than that, say 2.3 or 2.4 but It's probably hard to pick up on because its a flavourless beer to begin with. Nothing against corona lovers but it lacking in flavour beer is purely fact. Just make sure its cold as possible and the carbonation will be far less noticeable.

if there's one time I would drink corona its when its a belting hot day somewhere exotic and someone hands me an icy cold one, and I mean icy. When I drink it I enjoy it for what it is, not as a beer but as a refreshing beverage

citizensnips said:
not as a beer but as a refreshing beverage
You might like San Pellegrino too. It's exotic, refreshing and tastes great with a slice of lemon. 2.5 volumes of co2

Hi Guys,
I have been reading through these forums for about 2 weeks now and am about to dive into a homebrew myself.

This is what i'm planning to do and was just hoping i could get some feedback before i dive in.
I have a STC1000 arriving this week and will be hooking it up to a chest freezer on the weekend.

Ok as this is my first brew i need to keep it simple and the WAF (wife acceptance factor) of the finished product needs to be high. Hence the Corona like first brew.

Coopers Creveza
BE2 1kg (50% Dextrose, 25% Maltodextrin, 25% Light Dry Malt)

Saflager S-23 Yeast
23L Brew

The plan was......
Pitch yeast @ 20 degrees
Place in chest freezer and drop to 10 - 12 degrees
Wait till SG readings are stable.
Raise temp to 16-18 degrees for yeast clean up.
Then Cold Crash to 2 -4 degrees for a week.
Bottle using carbonation drops (will probably rack and bulk prime in future)
Store in a the cupboard for about 2 - 3 weeks or until carbonated
Then hopefully in the fridge down nice and cold to be ready for around new years.

I'm hoping it will be ready for new years but i don't mind if i have to wait longer as i have read the longer you leave it the better it is :)
Any problems anyone could see or extra things i should do?
Also would i be better using the CBE 2 or would i be better off getting a mix from the local HBS as i have to get the yeast from there anyway.

Thanks.

I always used 1kg LDM and 250gm Dex. Comes out high 4% with bottling.
Your temps look to be good, but get some lager yeast, 34/70 works well, 1 pack will be sufficient.
I also found the Cerveza is better while a bit younger 4-6 weeks, so you should be good for new years.

yum beer said:
I always used 1kg LDM and 250gm Dex. Comes out high 4% with bottling.
Your temps look to be good, but get some lager yeast, 34/70 works well, 1 pack will be sufficient.
I also found the Cerveza is better while a bit younger 4-6 weeks, so you should be good for new years.
Thanks for the info know i just have to find a decent HBS in south east queensland.

Try sponsor above...'craftbrewer' is in Brisbane...somewhere....

Hi all. Just brewed this one last week and it's the first time I've attempted a home brew. Couple of queries.

I've had it at a fairly stable temperature in my garage for 7 days and the fermentation has definitely happened, but it seems to have slowed down to almost non existent now. I wouldn't be concerned, but it has currently only registered about a 1020 on the Hydrometer down from 1044 at brew time. Would you suggest I've done something wrong to end up with a weakfish brew or that it still has some fermentation yet to occur?

I tasted some flat today and it smells and tastes fine, just a tad weak.

Thanks peeps :)

I have been All grain brewing for about 3 years now...mainly making big American pale ales.
Tried the cans years ago and failed miserably...recently met a dude who reckons he brewed this and it was great.
His missus backed him up.

So am going to have a crack at it . Then keg it and leave in the fridge ungassed until xmas. about 5 weeks.

I have the can of goop ( coopers cerveza )
1 kg dextrose
20 grams super alpha to dry hop it with.
us-05

I will be surprised if it is any good.
Hope it is. The wife will think I am a genius.

i've only done this one once and it was wrecked on me while fermenting thanks to the person staying at my house while i was away on holidays. i've always wanted to give it a crack to see how it is.

Flano said:
I have been All grain brewing for about 3 years now...mainly making big American pale ales.
Tried the cans years ago and failed miserably...recently met a dude who reckons he brewed this and it was great.
His missus backed him up.

So am going to have a crack at it . Then keg it and leave in the fridge ungassed until xmas. about 5 weeks.

I have the can of goop ( coopers cerveza )
1 kg dextrose
20 grams super alpha to dry hop it with.
us-05

I will be surprised if it is any good.
Hope it is. The wife will think I am a genius.
Did a Coopers Cerveza for my son a couple of months ago. Straight as per the instructions, BE2 and nothing else. Pitched the kit yeast @24' and put it in the coolgardie safe in the breezeway @ 18/20'. OG 1040 FG1010. Bottled after 10 days.2 carb drops per 740ml pet. Crated and kept in the breezeway covered by double black garbage bin liners for 2 weeks @ ambient, then into the w/shop fridge @ 10'.
First taste, 4weeks after bottling-- bit thin for me, not much head & needs to be served really cold.
4 weeks later, definately improved, better head & retention. The boys loved it. One comment that was made, is you can drink a half a bottle, put the cap back on and it will stay carbed in the fridge & drinkable 48hrs on.
Now I'm being asked what a Morgans Cortes Cerveza would be like. My reply was, you buy the kit.

May be worth looking at my caribbean siesta thread if you guys want something a little different. Was a coopers recipe, cerveza extract with 2x 500g DME's. 10 minute boil with 12g of Calypso hops, and the other 12 gets dropped in for dry hopping.

Came down to about 1006 if I remember correctly, still a bit thin. But it's a really pleasant hot day beer with a fairly nice aroma.

Just put one of these down. Kit, 1kg LDME with kit yeast. Currently sitting at 24 °C as I do not have a working fridge to brew in. Using the non working fridge as an esky.

I would like to dry hop and would like a recommendation. I have Amarillo, cascade and Fuggles in the freezer at the moment. I'm planning a small dry hop addition to add a little aroma to counter the potential yeasty flavour from the somewhat higher fermentation temperature. I don't know much about hops so please tell me which of those three would be the most suitable. From my reading I'm tending toward a 12 g addition of cascade after the initial fermentation stops.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

I can definitely recommend dry hop with 25g of cascade. I did it and the results went down well with me, and a good handful of my mate's.

Thank you burrster for the recommendation. I ended up going with 15g of cascade as I was a little concerned with over doing it for a very low flavour beer. I'm hoping that my wife will enjoy this one, she is NOT a beer drinker but something light and malty she may do.

She tasted my LC pale ale tonight and said she enjoy the hop flavour but not the bitterness. I could possibly have done the full 25g.

Will see how it ends up. I hope I remember to report back.

Sent from my HDC-08 using Tapatalk 4

Back