Cooper's Mexican Cerveza 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ballantyne mexican cerveza

coopers mex malt
17g Hallertau hops
900g dex
us-05 yeast
OG- 1030
23lt

did a boil of malt and hops just under 10mins, with about 250-300g of extract

hope it will go well for summer :beer:

*** had a taste about 1 month in, came out pretty well. keen to try some galaxy hops next time ***

i got a cheap tin of the cerveza the other day along with a 1.5kg thomas cooper LME tin, any idea's/suggestions on how it would go using the LME over the BE2?

i got a cheap tin of the cerveza the other day along with a 1.5kg thomas cooper LME tin, any idea's/suggestions on how it would go using the LME over the BE2?
Very bloody well. Chuck the two of them into a few litres of just boiled water, mix well and top up to 20 litres from the the tap. Use US-05 yeast and ferment at 18 degrees for a 5% (after bottling) summer chugger.

I just put together a 'rushed' CMC for tonight (New Year's Eve) as it's going to be close to 30 and I'm headed to a pool party.

Mine is far from fantastic at the moment as it's only been in the bottle for 48 hours! xD

But for what it is, it's still very drinkable. I didn't use any hops but I added a lot of malt for extra flavour. I imagine what's left of this will be stored for a few more weeks and will end up being a very palatable brew.

I'm a simpleton, so my recipe was as follows:

3L boiling water to fermenter
1 x can of CMC
1kg Dextrose (Coopers)
1kg Malt (Coopers)
Topped to 18L mark with cool water
Kit yeast

OG 1.063 - FG 1.012 = roughly 6.6% before bottling (should go up to about 7% after a week or so in the bottle I would think).

To be fair, it could use a run through a soda stream as it's not very well carbonated yet. But it's got just enough fizz and the right flavour (and abv%) for a NYE pool party. :p

After writing that I felt like another taste test was in order (sure, it's 1:20pm, but it's NYE so ner!). Really enjoying it. One of the easiest drinking beers I've made. And after 1 schooner (proper schooner glass) I'm already feeling a bit buzzed. Potent stuff!

1 x can of CMC
1kg Dextrose (Coopers)
1kg Malt (Coopers)
Topped to 18L mark with cool water
Kit yeast

OG 1.063 - FG 1.012 = roughly 6.6% before bottling (should go up to about 7% after a week or so in the bottle I would think).
LOL...I just vomited in my mouth a little bit....but to each their own!

I'm thinking that combo cost you at least $25. Why didn't you just buy a bottle of cheap scotch or bourbon and add a dash of coke if all you're after is a cheap NYE party buzz?! :icon_drunk:

Very bloody well. Chuck the two of them into a few litres of just boiled water, mix well and top up to 20 litres from the the tap. Use US-05 yeast and ferment at 18 degrees for a 5% (after bottling) summer chugger.
next question: how would dry hopping with cascade go, and how much would i need to put in?

next question: how would dry hopping with cascade go, and how much would i need to put in?
I'm not a fan of it personally, prefer to do flameout additions for my aroma hopping. But plenty do, and Cascade is a perfect choice for doing so. How much to use is purely a personal choice, how much aroma do you want? Try 20 grams and adjust next time depending on what you think of the result.

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but I've pulled out a can of cerveza i bought months ago on sale and thought I'd finally get rid of it!

Plan is....

1x CMC Kit
500g LDME
500g Dex
20g cascade @ 20mins
20g cascade dry (day 4 or 5)
1x kit yeast
top to 23 liters

Thoughts? not 100% sure on the hop additions. I've also go some saaz (25g) and PoR (5g) and maybe some Galaxy (10g or so) left over from other brews. Can't imaging using the PoR though!

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back