Cooper's Mexican Cerveza 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipster

Reaction score
Hi there,

The previous topic about CMC is 18 pages long, no time to read it all, so from memory if anyone can help.

Here is the deal, I tasted the wort close to finish (I added the recommended sugars off course)... I would like this brew a little with a little more zing, someone is recommending glacier hops... They are not available at my supplier but they have galaxy hops, will that do?

How come this CMC can does not provide a more hoppy taste regarding mexican beer is drunk under hot weather, I don't get it!

.z

Uh oh, Silo Ted is going to rip you a new one...

Galaxy would be fine.

Mexican Beers are very low hop in general. No late hops, and low IBU.

No late hops means no finishing hops? Something else?

Regarding I don't plan to slice a lemon everytime I open a beer, I thought, the tanguiness should be included in the brew. So if I want low IBU this means minimum bittering on the hops yes? Like just toss something like 12g of galaxy in 1L of water and pour it straight into the wort?

Cheers!

Well you asked why the kit doesn't have a hoppy taste. It's because Mexican Cerveza as a style is low on hops, bittering, aroma and flavour. Not much hops compared to other styles. If you wanted to make the most authentic cerveza using that kit you wouldn't want to add any hops at all.

However if you want to actually make a nice beer, I would throw in some galaxy hops in your fermenter when you add the hot water. Maybe 20 grams or so.

A lot of people knock Corona but have never had a bottle of the stuff since home brewing. If you actually grab a six pack and drink it on a clear palate you'll find that it surprisingly has a nice malty backbone and a bit of hop coming through. I don't actually mind the stuff compared to say TED or XXXX Gold

I've made a couple of AG versions and have successfully used Chinook hops - in the case of a kit I'd try 100g of light dried malt extract in a litre of water, boil for 30 minutes with 15g of Chinook and tip straight into the fermenter (after rapid cooling). Also use a cleaner fermenting yeast - US-05 is good and will allow the flavours to come through better without the kit twang.

Another way of "cleaning up" the beer is to use maltose syrup instead of sugar or brew enhancer - it's available in 500g tubs for about $2 from chinese grocers and is basically rice that has been zapped to produce maltose. Yeast loves maltose and will convert it easily without the sugar "twang" you can get using cane sugar.

maltose__Large_.jpg

Hey bribie,

thanks for the picture, been looking for the stuff and haven't been able to find it.

Well you asked why the kit doesn't have a hoppy taste. It's because Mexican Cerveza as a style is low on hops, bittering, aroma and flavour. Not much hops compared to other styles. If you wanted to make the most authentic cerveza using that kit you wouldn't want to add any hops at all.

However if you want to actually make a nice beer, I would throw in some galaxy hops in your fermenter when you add the hot water. Maybe 20 grams or so.

Can I do this near the end? 20g is a bit much, I don't want the galaxy to overtake, just a bit paranoid due to unsuccessful experiments with hops....

A lot of people knock Corona but have never had a bottle of the stuff since home brewing. If you actually grab a six pack and drink it on a clear palate you'll find that it surprisingly has a nice malty backbone and a bit of hop coming through. I don't actually mind the stuff compared to say TED or XXXX Gold

I've made a couple of AG versions and have successfully used Chinook hops - in the case of a kit I'd try 100g of light dried malt extract in a litre of water, boil for 30 minutes with 15g of Chinook and tip straight into the fermenter (after rapid cooling). Also use a cleaner fermenting yeast - US-05 is good and will allow the flavours to come through better without the kit twang.

Another way of "cleaning up" the beer is to use maltose syrup instead of sugar or brew enhancer - it's available in 500g tubs for about $2 from chinese grocers and is basically rice that has been zapped to produce maltose. Yeast loves maltose and will convert it easily without the sugar "twang" you can get using cane sugar.
]

Maltose... I just looked it up and it looks a little scary. Too much process for me, I will stick with the glucose (dextrose). And yes you are very right about this twang taste wit h cane sugar, I have verified the same thing and not using it anymore.

Here is the deal, I tasted the wort close to finish (I added the recommended sugars off course)... I would like this brew a little with a little more zing, someone is recommending glacier hops... They are not available at my supplier but they have galaxy hops, will that do?

What exactly are 'the recommended sugars' you refer to.

I make my CMC with 500gm LDM and 500gm Dextrose, 3 months in bottle, ai carumba...its mexico man.

Hey bribie,

thanks for the picture, been looking for the stuff and haven't been able to find it.

I work in Chinatown (Vodafone cust. care) right opposite the shop, how many do you want? B)

edit: we can't keep meeting at the BP, people are going to talk

Its the enhancer 2. It contains corn sugars, which makes sense in a way..!

Leave it alone for at least a month in the bottle and you will get a pleasant surprise, a top drop on a hot day.

Can I do this near the end? 20g is a bit much, I don't want the galaxy to overtake, just a bit paranoid due to unsuccessful experiments with hops....

near the end of ferment? sure. And you can use less hops if you want. Up to you.

one month sounds realistic. Got a fair few to drink up before then! heheh

Thanks again.

View attachment 49878

If this is rice syrup than even my local woolworths sells it!

ballantyne mexican cerveza

coopers mex malt
17g Hallertau hops
900g dex
us-05 yeast
OG- 1030
23lt

did a boil of malt and hops just under 10mins, with about 250-300g of extract

hope it will go well for summer :beer:

Im drinking a tweaked mexican kit at the moment:

Coopers Mexican tin
1Kg beer improver form LHBS
200gm pilsner Malt (steeped for 25min)
40gms of Galaxy hops (20gm @ 15mins 20gm 5 mins)
20 gms of cascade dry hopped
Standard Yeast

5.6%

Turned out very nice.

Easy summer quaffer...

Gave it to a mate at work who loves Corona and he loved it...

I put one down this arvo;

Coopers Cervaza
850g dex
150g dried corn syrup
200g flaked rice steeped for 25 min
W 34/70
5g dry enzyme
10g Galaxy at flameout (was only hops I had left, need to get down the shops)

Played around with the old fridge today to use as a cooler to get the temp down (9-10 deg)

After it's Kegged, it'll be end Jan / start Feb before I get to drink it because of work. Hoping it'll be that summer beer that doesn't last long enough.......

what does the rice syrup do to the flavour/body? is it necessary?

I'm looking to make one of these as an easy drinker for the hot days i hope we have coming! basing on the coopers can what are the must have accompaniments?

what does the rice syrup do to the flavour/body? is it necessary?

I'm looking to make one of these as an easy drinker for the hot days i hope we have coming! basing on the coopers can what are the must have accompaniments?

Rice gives body in this beer as wheat does for a larger or ale. That and the dry enzyme pushes it towards, say an asahi. Dry, crisp taste. It's my tip if your going for that style.

Latest posts

Back