Coopers Mexican Cerveza - adding Kaffir Lime and Tequila Essence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Aus

Reaction score
Hi all

My apologies in advance for putting another "how to add lime to beer" post which seems abundant in searches but I am still a little confused as to what would be best even after spending ages reading up on it.

Im newish to brewing only having done a handful of different kits with good results and I am going to attempt a Desperado clone but still going back and forth with how to add lemon zest (or kaffir lime leaves as I will be using) into the brew and at what stage.

It seems most people either add lime zest 5 mins at the end of the boil, flameout or with a vodka tincture and using a secondary. But is it possible to add the ingredients into the primary?

I do have a recipe which uses the Cerveza kit as normal and then boils up some lime cordial for 10 mins then added to the secondary with the essence but I also have a similar recipe for a different beer but uses lemon myrtle leaves which is then added 5 or 6 days after into the primary.

My initial thought even before reading a recipe was to make the kit, let it finish fermenting then boil up the leaves, let it cool and then add to a secondary with the essence and leave for I dunno, 2 or 3 days maybe? then bottle.

But I do only have 1 fermenter right now so I am more than happy if I can do it all in a single sitting. My local beer guy is selling some decent fermenters at the moment so it wouldn't be a problem getting another one if thats the best way to really get a good aroma and flavor from both the lime and tequila

Latest posts

Back