Coopers getting in on the game of daft brewing machines?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
You should read the K&K thread :lol:
Lol wait up, you know I started that thread yeah? I'm the poor sod that can't get his kits to taste good (yet), hence my fears that this new goop processor may further entrench homebrew's bad reputation. However, if it is possible to make great beer with dehydrated ingredients it really opens up a world of possibilities.

Imagine if you could buy a DogfishHead 90 minute IPA recipe, pop it in one of these breadmaker gizmos and enjoy it fresh a few weeks later as if you got it straight from the brewery. It could be better than the old dusty bottles imported from half way across the globe. Also it's tax free :D

49d4db76cc8b9ea26ad2e551b268a104_big.jpg

Ducatiboy stu said:
Tell that to the WW folk
WW? that Williamswarn one?

Holy crap just looked up the price. Fuuuuck that. Man you could have a kegerator with two kegs, full co2, fermentation fridge. Doesn't even make the damn wort for you.

Wooooooooooow, why even bother. Just go Kit and Kilo and call it a day at $100 bucks.

Randai said:
WW? that Williamswarn one?

Holy crap just looked up the price. Fuuuuck that. Man you could have a kegerator with two kegs, full co2, fermentation fridge. Doesn't even make the damn wort for you.

Wooooooooooow, why even bother. Just go Kit and Kilo and call it a day at $100 bucks.
Those things are for people who have more dollars than sense. :D

It may use compressed air to nitro and partially carb the beer. That would only work if it carbs on demand, or it would oxygenate your beer. For that price there's no way it scavenges carbon dioxide from fermentation and liquefies it (EDIT: if it didn't liquify it, it would need a big gas bag/balloon and that would look exceptionally daft). The thing would need to be serviced like a car. I'm going to guess that it's just pressure-fermentation with a solenoid valve that closes after a period of time, and/or a back pressure regulator (not the same as a relief valve). Just like those horrible little plastic barrel things you could get from kmart.

It is completely possible to build a fully automated brewery. There's no reason why the quality wouldn't be as good as anything else.

From an engineering standpoint it's not difficult.

What makes me highly skeptical of any of these attempts at full automation is that, well, it isn't full automation. The easiest way to reduce the control system complexity is to reduce the process complexity. This is what they've done. "Let's just ferment goop that's way easier than trying to control all-grain wort production, wort cooling, CIP etc"

When I see a mini automatic valve matrix, CIP tanks, pumps, refrigeration (either DX or reticulated water/glycol), mash rakes, grain silos and grain transport and countless other processes/items that are proven again and again to be necessary to make good beer, then shall I say that a truly automated beer machine has been achieved. But until then, colour me skeptical.

Coopers are way off track here.
A good idea would be to bring out a system where we could enjoy their beer at home, on tap like you get it at the pub.

It would involve big PET containers of Coopers brands that you could buy from bottle shops and serve from a device with a tap that would fit in your fridge. Then............................

Bribie G said:
A good idea would be to bring out a system where we could enjoy their beer at home, on tap like you get it at the pub.

It would involve big PET containers of Coopers brands that you could buy from bottle shops and serve from a device with a tap that would fit in your fridge. Then............................
That's a great idea! Lionel Richie could even sing one of his hits for the initial advertising campaign, and perhaps heavily discount the product at NRL finals

Bribie G said:

And maby they could secure the services of a prominent R&B / soul singer who was huge in the 80s to help them promote it.

Bribie G said:

Not sure if you have noticed, but you can get Coopers in 50lt stainless steel vessels, they have been doing that for some time now they tell me

Ducatiboy stu said:
Not sure if it's been pointed out anywhere else on the forum, but this stuff is made by Cooper's.
They were canning it when I did a brewery tour a couple of years ago.
The tour guide was quick to point out that it was made to specs provided by the "Home Brand" people, but who knows, I've certainly never made any to compare it with the Cooper's branded stuff.

Michael Burton said:
Imagine if you could buy a DogfishHead 90 minute IPA recipe, pop it in one of these breadmaker gizmos and enjoy it fresh a few weeks later as if you got it straight from the brewery.
Isn't that exactly what the new PicoBrew will do. With recipe packs designed by the breweries?

Oh yeah, I forgot that part of the PicoBrew sales pitch.

Crakkers said:
Not sure if it's been pointed out anywhere else on the forum, but this stuff is made by Cooper's.
They were canning it when I did a brewery tour a couple of years ago.
The tour guide was quick to point out that it was made to specs provided by the "Home Brand" people, but who knows, I've certainly never made any to compare it with the Cooper's branded stuff.
Well considering that Coopers are one of the largest manufactures of malt it would not surprise me at all

Still. What hooked me into brewing my own beer was my first goes Coopers cans. A 30lt plastic fermenter etc. It made good beer that I liked better than the shelf product. Fresh? Maybe.
Now I All Grain 40lt brews and ferment in a 50lt kegmenter. The pressure ferment way. Beer finishes self carbonated (almost). These products are just scaling down that even more. My 40lt brews I can have finished drinkable Ales from 14 days from grain to brain so to speak.
I like the fact that if a product like this ends up on the shelf at local stores then the craft beer thing must be coming to fruit? Even when its just another throwaway product etc.

I think homebrewing can just stay nice and quiet and away from the prying eyes of those who would make money from taxing the homebrew community more than they do already. We smoke and slow cook meat, make our own sausages, bake our own breads, grind our own grains, grow our own food, grow our own hops and so on and so on ... the less the Government intrudes on this lifestyle the better.

You need to roast your own coffee too - another activity where the commercial results are almost entirely inferior to what you can do at home.

It's even cheaper than brewing to get started with coffee roasting. You can get a popcorn roaster for $12-15 from K-Mart/Target and decent green beans can be had for under $20/kg

We have a bunch of home brewers here commenting on a new home brewing machine. I reckon we aren't the market Coopers are targeting. 95% of forum posters are here because they are avid or practicing home brewers, the remainder are after quick advice on airlocks or bottling time. They've got the gear and probably aren't ready to splurge on a flashy system that does what their gear already does but simpler.
It's analogous to coffee. For years people have been using Blend 43 (K&K) then affordable grinders and espresso machines hit mainstream (AG). There's a disparity between the two options - spend the money and go hard, or take the easy low cost option.
This machine looks like it's hitting the coffee pod market. Priced in between the two options for those who don't mind spending a bit extra for the better quality, but can't be bothered with the full kit and caboodle. It's also a flashy looking machine that takes its place on the kitchen bench to make an aesthetic statement.

How many people out there fit into that bracket for beer? Tough market to create if you ask me. Anyone asked a non home brewing beer drinker what they thought of it?

Great perspective Wiggman. There are a lot of parallels with with the (now ubiquitous) coffee pod machines and it would be interesting to know what the non-home-brewers think about it.

There was a statistic buried in an email from WilliamsWarn a while back inferring that 32% of our male population have tried brewing, but given up. If true, it suggests there could already be a large market waiting for these daft machines. It certainly can't hurt that they're nearly an order of magnitude cheaper than the WW only 3 years later.

Wait another 3 years and they may be $79 at Aldi?
the future.jpg
:ph34r:

Unless I missed something in the links, the promotion says nothing about ingredients or temperature control. If it could do AG, heat and cool, it would be a fantastic bargain. But from the pic and price I'd guess it uses extract only and relies on you to control temps externally. No bargain, and you tie up your kettle until fermentation is done.

Latest posts

Back