Coopers Canadian Ideas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
hey guys ,
i just got some cans of canadian blonde for 5 bucks with 18 months left on the use by date. now i normally do biab but when i seen these the tight arse in me came out and i had to get em. the problem is i have no idea what to do with them . i was thinking of an apa with a kg of malt and some suga but im not sure how many ibus i can get away with adding. has any one done a killer brewwith this stuff and if so what. any suggestions would be great but i dont like ammarilo at all but any other american hops great.im also up for any other style as well. (i know search but i would like some direct opinions).
thanks in advance bh

hey guys ,
i just got some cans of canadian blonde for 5 bucks with 18 months left on the use by date. now i normally do biab but when i seen these the tight arse in me came out and i had to get em. the problem is i have no idea what to do with them . i was thinking of an apa with a kg of malt and some suga but im not sure how many ibus i can get away with adding. has any one done a killer brewwith this stuff and if so what. any suggestions would be great but i dont like ammarilo at all but any other american hops great.im also up for any other style as well. (i know search but i would like some direct opinions).
thanks in advance bh

Hi Beerhog, I've brewed this one a few times:

Final Volume: 23ltrs

Coopers Canadian Blonde Can
500g Dextrose
100g Maltodextrin
400g Light Dried Malt

2x Cascade hop T-Bags simmer one @ 15mins and 1 @ 5 mins, pour into brew and pitch kit yeast.

Just Put one down this morn with steeped crystal and 500g of aussie honey, cant wait to give this one a crack.

Wallace

P.S. I think i'd better give the credit to another one of the users of this forum, cant think of his name but if you search "coopers canadian blonde" in the google search thing on this forum you will find the creator.

The kit will be about 22-23 ibu in 23 litres. You can take this into consideration when working out your late additions. I'd say use whatever you usually like late in an APA.

If you normally BIAB, try the following:

4kg Galaxy or other Pilsener Malt
1kg Rice (dry weight, cooked to a mush)

90 mins 66 degrees

30g some American Hop (Chinook?) 90 min boil
30g some aromatic American Hop (Cascade?) 10 min.

Then split the wort between two fermenters and use a can of the Canadian with each half. Add a bit of dex if you want to upgrade it to a headbanger. Use US-05 or equivalent liquid yeast. I made some cracking partials with Canadian tins, using a bit less malt than above, almost indistinguishable from an AG lager.

I have done a few with LDME and saaz that have turned out very nice.

The more I look at this kit, the more I think it just screams for honey, maybe .5 kg and some cascade hops to finish.

I'm getting to the end of a batch of this.

1 x Coopers Canadian Blonde (surprisingly)
1 x Brew Enhancer 2
US05

Fermented for a week at about 18-20 degrees then dry hopped 30 grams of Amarillo for about 5 days then fined (yes I did notice you said you couldn't stand Amarillo). Just use what ever aromatic hop you like.

It made a nice easy summer gargler that didn't take long for it to mature, it was quite drinkable after about 2 weeks. A big hit with friends, I'd definitely do it again and I don't think I"d change the recipe either (yup that's right I would stick with the Brew Enhancer). It was just a nice refreshing session or lawn mower beer.

A can of liquid malt or Caramalt and as much Cascade as you can stand.

Just keep the boil short to keep the IBU's down and the flavour up.

And don't forget at least 250g of steeped crystal, even up to 500g.

It takes the caramel too high for the APA guidelines but who gives a rats, it makes it good beer,
getting towards an American light Brown!

I'm getting to the end of a batch of this.

1 x Coopers Canadian Blonde (surprisingly)
1 x Brew Enhancer 2
US05

Fermented for a week at about 18-20 degrees then dry hopped 30 grams of Amarillo for about 5 days then fined (yes I did notice you said you couldn't stand Amarillo). Just use what ever aromatic hop you like.

It made a nice easy summer gargler that didn't take long for it to mature, it was quite drinkable after about 2 weeks. A big hit with friends, I'd definitely do it again and I don't think I"d change the recipe either (yup that's right I would stick with the Brew Enhancer). It was just a nice refreshing session or lawn mower beer.

Nothing really wrong with Brew Enhancer II with a kit and, IMHO, it goes better than a kilo of LDME in a pale lager style beer intended to be drunk cold and fast.

Tried a coopers recipe for this years ago,
Canadian Blonde
Brew Enhancer (can't remember which one)
500g Dry Malt Extract
Goldings Teabag
kit yeast

I was very impressed, from memory it was very mellow thanks to the goldings.

I use,

1 can of coopers Canadian blonde and 1.5kilos of my homebrew shops own brand Amber malt extract with a saaz hop and it's very nice.

I made mine much the same as yours

1 tin of Canadian blonde

1kg of dex

.5 of light dry malt

1 saaz tea bag boil for 15 min (I don't know if this does much?)

kit yeast

20lt water

very tasty light and refreshing on a hot day

I reckon just dry hop the crap out of it and it will be awesome, maybe a little crystal malt as well.

hey thanks for the ideas fellas. im thinking 1 kg of dme and 300 sugaz with some chinook for 30 mins in the dme boil and centenial at flame out. probably follow with 10g chinook and 20 centenial dry hop. if i get my order from nikos in time ill also put 20 cascade in as dry hop as well.no crystal either because i think to my taste it would end a bit sweet.im not sure yet about my boil additions but still have a cube of esb to put in the fermentation fridge so will think as ig over the next week or two.

I really like Morgans Canadian Blonde with my home brew shops rice malt extract (1.5kg) with about 45g of Nelson Sauvin Hop pellets. 2/3 of that steeped for 10 minutes or so and the other 1/3 dry.

Very nice beer.

Latest posts

Back