Coopers Canadian Blonde And Hallertauer Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phinnsfotos

Reaction score
I've just put down a brew, Coopers Canadian Blonde with Coopers Brew Enhancer 1. I've used a Windsor Ale yeast for something a bit different. I was thinking of dry hoping with Hallertauer to liven it up a little. I've never used this hop, it was recommended to use with an English bitter, but I don't think I'll brew the bitter any time soon, so I thought I'd give it a try with the Blonde and wanted to know what people thought.

So to summarise, do you think Hallertauer hops with go with a Canadian Blonde brewed with Windsor Ale?

Cheers,
Finn.

Oh dear,
Windsor ale yeast yields some lovely UK ales but is very hard to clear, hangs around like a bad smell for ages and needs some aggressive clearing techniques. Not the most appropriate yeast for a light lager.

However yeast is yeast and it will ferment out your brew, but because it may turn out a bit 'muddy' for a lager style, rather than use Hallertau which is a fairly muted hop, I would hit the brew with a fairly strong hop such as 30g Cascade or Amarillo made into hop tea and added on day 3 of fermentation, and you should end up with something along the lines of a pale coloured American IPA.

If you are having difficulties clearing, I would recommend transferring to another fermenter and cold crashing in a fridge for a few days, fine with gelatine, and after another couple of days add polyclar to remove any chill hazes then bottle or keg the next day.

:icon_cheers:

I had read that it was a bit hard to clear. Honestly I'm not hugely concerned with making it as clear as possible for aesthetics, I was going to add some gelatin to help it along anyway. Are there flavour reasons for clearing? I used it because I liked the sounds of "fruity esters" (it was originally meant to go with the English Bitter I'm probably not going to brew). I think I will up the hops when I dry hop, I haven't really been able to make a beer with a strong hops aroma yet.

Hi Finn

Hallertauer is a hop I find I really like. I have used a 25g 15min boil in K&K to make a great lager (s-23 at 12deg) most drinkers would find this a bit to hoppy but it rests well on my palate. Dry hopping would suit what you have done or Saaz too.

My 2c

Cheers

Popped down to the home brew shop and picked up some Amaillo hops (thanks Brew Your Own at Home). I"ll dry hop with 30gms and likely rack for a week to help with clearing. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back