Coopers 62 Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
I'm looking at an ad for 1st Choice liquor in todays Telegraph - p27...

There is a six pack of "Coopers 62 Pilsner" for sale - $16.90

Nothing on Coopers website, definately from coopers though...

Anyone heard of it??

I pass 1st Choice on my way home from work. I'll try to remember to drop in and take a looksie....

its ment to be all sazz , a premium pils. There is also a lo carb beer coming out.

Well we were all told at the members club night and Glen did not say its a secret so i guess its ok to let you all know.......
Last Tuesday the 11th Glen Cooper told us all that there would be a Coopers Pills comming out later this year! I did not think it would be this soon.....
Also a low carb Coopers coming out late this year/ early next year..................
The cats outa the bag!!!

Coopers Pills comming out later this year! I did not think it would be this soon..... Also a low carb Coopers coming out late this year/ early next year..................

Gotta say, if this is true I'm a bit disappointed with the path Coopers is choosing to take with its brand extensions. Just what we need, more lagers. Given their Pale, Sparkling and Stout are what they're really good at, is anyone else with me that they should be looking to add to that range?

My pick would be a "Coopers Summer Ale" - basically the classic coopers yeast in a wheat beer with a sprinkling of late POR. The beer would be unmistakably Coopers, but something new to try!

I just bought a 6-pack to try from the bottle-o just now. I hadn't seen anything about it before or this thread (came home and checked here of course!). I'll give it a try later tonight and let you know what I think.

I'm not expecting a great thing here but hey, it's Coopers so you just have to try it, right? Agree that lagers doesn't seem the way forward for them from my point of view.

However, I love the idea of a Coopers Summer Ale. I've never tried to brew a summer ale before, I don't think that I've ever been inspired to do so but, somehow, the idea sounds like a good one right about now after reading discoloop's comments.

Let you guys know tonight or tomorrow on the Cooper's Pilsner.

Cheers!

Tried it last night.... It struck me as the love child of a classic Czech Pilsner and your standard Aussie Bitter. I don't think I'd bother with it again as there are better beers in the Coopers range and if I want a good Pilsner then I would grab a Budvar.

Just my 2c.

I second discoloop's idea of the "Summer Ale" if any Coopers people are reading this.

Gotta say, if this is true I'm a bit disappointed with the path Coopers is choosing to take with its brand extensions. Just what we need, more lagers. Given their Pale, Sparkling and Stout are what they're really good at, is anyone else with me that they should be looking to add to that range?

My pick would be a "Coopers Summer Ale" - basically the classic coopers yeast in a wheat beer with a sprinkling of late POR. The beer would be unmistakably Coopers, but something new to try!

I think any new ale, especially a summer ale, would ultimately cannibalise pale ale sales. After all, CPA is not that far off a summer ale to begin with.

I for one am looking forward to trying this pilsner, though I don't hold high hopes.

ive been to two bottle shops here in SA looking for it and could not find it! Anyone here in Adelaide had it yet?

Had a change of plans with the boys coming over here tonight for the Bledisloe Cup game so that means I can drink from my keg rather than the Coopers Pilsner. I'm actually cleaning a keg to fill tomorrow at the moment so I guess that means I deserve a beer right now! :icon_chickcheers:

So let's have a look at this Coopers Pilsner. I'm going to type as I taste.

It's a straw/light golden colour as you would expect and pours with that average mass-produced-force-carbonated head with larger bubbles and dies away fairly quickly. Low hop aroma but I can't make out that distinctive Saaz aroma if this beer is pure Saaz like someone else mentioned. Can pick up the background DMS but that's fine, its definitely background as it should be and would be lacking something without it.

It's fairly dry but with lower than expected bitterness and definitely too little carbonation for the style. I'd say this is a low carbonated beer, you could tell as soon as you popped the top with a very faint hiss. I'd have to say that there is again, not as much hop flavour as I would have liked compared to German Pilsners. Mind you, the low carbonation probably has something to do with it (yes, it is very low for the style).

Overall, the flavour is not bad. Mouthfeel is a bit lacking again probably due to the low carbonation. There's probably the right amount of sulfates in there because I think I can taste the addition rather than it being in your face. There is that slight bitter aftertaste from the hops as it should be.

Just had another sip. Carbonation definitely leaves this one short.

They're 355ml bottles which I don't like and they're twist tops so I like them less. The style, done right, is something to be appreciated. They've mostly nailed the style but the whole carbonation issue leaves this one short.

I'm half way through the glass and I can't believe I'm actually doing a review of this!! :D

Look, this is better than Toohey's/XXXX/VB. Where it sits is with the premium lager sector like Boags Premium, Hahn Premium etc. I'd take their ales any day over this. It's not crap, but it's not great. I probably won't drink the rest, there are unsuspecting friends who'll be more than happy to consume it.

BTW: There's no labelling on the bottles or the 6-pack carton saying 100% saaz hops etc so I doubt that is the case. Labelling is totally minimal with just the required barcode and alcohol % around the neck. Embossed into the body of the glass is: "62" which is the only other labelling apart from the whole "Coopers family has been brewing since 4200BC..." etc etc etc) on the carton.

Hop aroma & flavour, carbonation, and mouthfeel leave this one short. For the $16, I'd rather buy a Coopers ale 6-pack for less or get a German Pilsner for not much more.

I will try one, but at that price .. cant you get a 6pack of sparkling for less?
VFM.. Non.

I got a 6er & took it to a mates place today.
Thought it was complete shit.
The other guys agreed.
Left the other 3 in his fridge.
I think the only pilsners I like are murray's, red angus & squires.

I had two or three today.

Low non-descript aroma.

Low bitterness, low body, no Saaz. Hops not noble tasting, more likely PoR. Dry.

Printing "Pilsener" on a label sets certain expectations that were certainly not met.

It's an aussie lager.

At $60+ a box there are plenty of cheap euro pilsener imports that leave it for dead.

regards,
Scott

I note from their site that the existing Lager is all grain (not up to 30% sugar as with Fosters etc) and has Saaz and POR hops. So I wonder how this new one differs. If you go to Dans and buy a selection of 500ml Czech, Russian, Polish etc beers you will find many them very low carbed compared to aussie beeers although some of the Germans seem to be quite fizzy.

Coopers have been down the lager road in the past, older members might remember Big Barrel Lager. No doubt they occasionally probe the market and see what comes out of it. I don't recall seeing the Coopers regular lager hereabouts and hope that the new one makes it this far so I can give it a slurp.

I don't mind Coopers lager, happier to knock back a few cheap pints of that when I'm in adelaide town... it's often better than the alternatives.

I must need to educate my taste buds or I haven't had any bitter beer, as I thought it was too bitter,
certainly won't buy it again.

Latest posts

Back