Coopers 62 Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got one in the fridge courtesy of Rukh.
On a hot day like today, I'm sure it'll go down well when I get home.

I must admit my foam was rich and it did lace my glass.
Club scene!? Being 28 Im to old for clubbing now but when i was a young lad i went to a number of clubs in NSW and VIC and there not all that great!
Maybe 62 is Coopers way of pay back for all that VB/CUB shit you guys send here! ;)
I like to think 62 is Coopers way of breaking in to the USA (Bud market) before unleashing there heavnly Ale upon them!

Sounds like the opinions of somone who is assoicated ;)

To me it tastes like a love child of Haagen, Hammer and Tongs and Tooheys Extra Dry.
Had mine last night. You're nnot far off the mark, bribieg.
Pilsner, Australian style.
It was a hot night, the beer was cold. Honestly, that's the best thing I can say.
But I can see the idea behind it... nice bottle, easier drinking coopers, perfect for the clubbers with their disco-bikkies!

Had a couple playing golf in the rain yesterday....
I dind't mind them...to my palate , they had that distinct coopers yeast taste to it...but as far as a traditional pilsner goes...yes well...i think my pils thats fermenting atm will quietly blow it out of the water...just my 2c

If onyl it was like Tooheys Pils, before the hop change <_<
That wasn't a bad beer at all. Off topic but is Hahn Premium still available? Haven't had it for a couple of years and I reckon (in my pre-brew days) that it held its head up against German and other Euro beers. It used to be in bottle shops around where TED and Hahn Dry now occupy the shelves.

being a Czech i was hoping for a pilsner something simmilar to Pilsner Urquell. kinda dissappointed with 62. nowhere near what i call a pilsner.

Supplied with a stubby from my Father. Popped the top and the initial smell was sulphur, no hop aroma :(

Absolutely brilliant looking beer, but overcarbonated (though pretty standard for a commercial lager). Zero malt profile detectable above the skunk, a swish around the mouth has now left me with teeth and gums coated with skunk. Once that taste sets in, it's all over apart from a little tickle of hop bitterness in the finish. It's not too thin-bodied, which makes me think this could be a much better beer without the faults - although the other reviews suggest otherwise.

In the end, part of the blame is on Coopers... WHY BOTTLE IT IN BLOODY GREEN BOTTLES?! Though, the classic skunky "import taste" should be popular among the yuppies, which seems like their target market.

*sigh*

WHY BOTTLE IT IN BLOODY GREEN BOTTLES?!

Just for emphasis, worth repeating. In fact, I think I'll repeat this again....

WHY BOTTLE IT IN BLOODY GREEN BOTTLES?!

As far as I'm concerned, there has been a major marketing opportunity missed......green bottles are "classy", and appeal to the yuppie, wannabe, [email protected] this for a marketing spin, Coopers......

"We don't take the trendy path and bottle in green bottles, because it damages the beer; we bottle in plain brown bottles, because we refuse to compromise on quality."

My 2c is that the marketing writes itself....thoughts?

I have to say, at the last BABBs meeting I was given a taste of this beer and had to ask "are you sure this is supposed to be a pilsner?" The answer was yes and in that instant my only thought was it was crap.

cheers

Browndog

If onyl it was like Tooheys Pils, before the hop change <_<
Funny thing is, in my pre-brewing days, I had an extra dry at the pub one night. A girl we were with said, "if you like the extra dry, you'll love the Pils."
I bought a pils, loved it, bought a slab, loved it.
Glad you can still get it. I should try a sixpack again, as well as a Tooheys Red.

Funny thing is, in my pre-brewing days, I had an extra dry at the pub one night. A girl we were with said, "if you like the extra dry, you'll love the Pils."
Glad you can still get it. I should try a sixpack again, as well as a Tooheys Red.

It was pretty good when released, although i had an "undeveloped" palate at that stage. Not sure what they have done with it nowadays, had one a year or so back and found it a bit bland and rushed. They used to trumpet the CZ Saaz aspect but not anymore.

Now i've actually made a decent lager or two I know which i'd prefer - 500g of fully imported Saaz pellets are cheap :)

A girl we were with said, "if you like the extra dry, you'll love the Pils."

Except its no longer brewed with Saaz. Consequently, it no longer tastes the same :(

Tried one of these at the pub last night ($5 special) and I'm certain it'll be the last I try. It's been a while since I've found a beer offensive, but this one was a real struggle to get through. It did not improve towards the bottom.

Poured into a glass, straight from the fridge. Massively overcarbed (contrary to the earlier posts). Overly sweet, very little hop aroma, too heavy. Possibly some faults (too much DMS I think, but I'm not great at faults yet). I'd struggle to call this a pilsner based on what I know, but that would fit in with the marketing of this - an 'Aussie pilsner' I guess.

I would not recommend buying more than one, and that one purely for education purposes.

Just for emphasis, worth repeating. In fact, I think I'll repeat this again....

As far as I'm concerned, there has been a major marketing opportunity missed......green bottles are "classy", and appeal to the yuppie, wannabe, [email protected] this for a marketing spin, Coopers......

"We don't take the trendy path and bottle in green bottles, because it damages the beer; we bottle in plain brown bottles, because we refuse to compromise on quality."

My 2c is that the marketing writes itself....thoughts?

My thoughts are that's not the market they're aiming for.

Isn't this beer reasonably cheap? I would have thought that if they were trying to go for the wannabe yuppie crowd, they'd make it $70 a carton and sit back, because price point seems to make a large part of whether people think a beer is classy or not. Pretty bottle though.

Latest posts

Back