Cooking Roast Pork On A Bbq Spit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some awesome ideas there guys. Can you still get good crackling from those boneless rolled loin pork?
Also where abouts do you put the foil smoke bag, in the drip tray??

Thanks again.

Yes you can get crackling from the rolled roast, so once you've dried out your skin, salted it (add some fennel seed and chilli ground up with you salt if you like) and slow cooked on the rotisery you may be left soft and flabby skin. To fix this you will need to get some cooking oil (sunflower or grapeseed have a really high smoke point and get the really cheap one) heat about 500ml till it smokes (it will need to be really hot) and pour it over the roast away from flames over a drip tray. Your skin will crackle like no bodies business. Alternatively dont cook the skin with the roast deep fry it. Jamie Oliver has a good recipe in his american cook book you can use as a refernce point.

You will need to put the smoke bag over a burner try to positon the grill over the burner you may need a second grill because you will want a drip tray under the pork as well. You might need multiple smoke bags going because of the volume of air under the BBQ hood. I tried several times with poor results then i got my webber coal bbq and it works a treat.

For best crackle I pour two jugs of boiling water over the skin slowly then dry with paper towels. Then oil and salt. You got me thinking I should do one over the holiday thanks. :icon_drool2:

Also most boneless pork these days is imported. Important to me maybe not to others. Buy Australian when you can I say.
Well I don't know about Qld admittingly but that's definately crap where I am!...

Some awesome ideas there guys. Can you still get good crackling from those boneless rolled loin pork?
Also where abouts do you put the foil smoke bag, in the drip tray??

Thanks again.

The bottom line is, if it has it's skin then you can crackle it. Alternatively, if you feel you may have troubles with this then just ask your butcher to remove the skin for you and do it seperately. Although personally I think it is better with the skin on.

I love the idea of spraying apple juice on the meat. I have spit roasted pork quite a bit and never thought of that. Although you are looking at doing a smaller cut, I usually do a full pig. If you ever do that then I suggest eating the tongue... yummo, apart from the crackle that's the best bit!!

I know of people who also use boiling water poured over the skin and then dry it off. This helps break down the fat. Although I have never bothered doing this as I usually don't have any problems.

There are some fantastic suggestions in this thread some of which I will be employing next time.

Although you mentioned a gas BBQ. However, if it is possible for you to do so, I suggest using wood as a fire source as the smoke flavor really enhances the meat. If you have an old keg or barrel (even just a hole in the ground , fire pit, with something to support the rotisserie) you can easily modify that as a base and still use the battery powered spit that come with your BBQ.

Anyone got any experience with using hop pellets for smoking meat?
I haven't done it myself, but Bunnings sell used hops and grain for bbq smoking. Funnily enough it's in the bbq section, but I doubt anyone here needs to buy any of that.

Score the skin and hit with boiling water. Break out your hair drier, a bit of salt, bake flat out for 10 minutes, decrease to 190C and you'll have the lightest, most crunchy crackle you'll ever eat.

And Mods - wherever you are........could you please move to Brew Food for future reference.

Well heres my first test run. It was bloody nice, very moist and tender and the gravy I made from the pan juices and wine was fantastic.

Crackling turned out really nice too.

Thanks again to everyone for the tips.

View attachment 50844

I agree, looks awesome!
The earlier tip about the spray bottle of apple juice is very cool. A good malty pilsner goes well with pork so I was thinking that with my next one (I've just started using my rottiserie again too!) I'd mix pilsner and apple juice in the drip tray. Maybe I'll let the pilsner go flat and mix them in the spray bottle instead/as well.

Cheers!
Jono.

the bbq pork i did i made gravey with munich lager instead of wine and it was sensational.

Latest posts

Back