Converted Fire Extinguisher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnw

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been quoted $200 for a 5kg converted fire extinguisher. Has any got one of these, they are the ones where you have to squeeze the handle to operate and replace the pin.

Is there anything else i need to consider, does anyone have any experience with them? Are they easy to install? Is it possible for me to kill myself installing one?

DrinkBeer

For $200 I'd be getting a proper CO2 cylinder.

Exactly!
For $60 more you can get the real deal CO2 gas cyclinder from GB IIRC (which lately has been a bit hit and miss <_< ).

Can we have an explanation on why not to use the fire extinguisher?

We are using a soda stream canister at the moment and the way we go through kegs its not working out to be very cost efficient. We were going to go the extinguisher way.

Nothing wrong with the extinguisher Katie! I use one. It's more the price. The 5kg extinguisher I procured a couple of years back came in at $80 filled (with hydrostatic testing and dip tube removed), and I am currently getting it refilled (second time in two years) for $77.

If the cheapest extinguisher you can get ahold of is $200+, then I'd go a genuine cylinder as it will be easier and cheaper to get these filled.

Cheers

Righto Flame Suit is On! :p

It's a lot of faffing around to get adaptors, tubes etc to convert them. Then you have the hassels of finding someone willing to fill them plus with all the new WPH&S laws and fit for purpose stuff I think you'll find less and less businesses willing to put their houses on the line for a $20 refill. Just my opinion of course but $60 extra now isn't much when you have a worthless fire extinguisher that you spent $200 plus buck converting but now can't get it filled. Plus why put yourself, family, friends and possessions in unnessary danger to save a few bucks? Highly compressed gasses and someone not fully conversant with the knowledge equals disaster waiting to happen IMO.
2c

Flame away!

Cheers thanks guys...

Lining up at Big W for sometime yet then!

Ive got to get the co2 bottle but a grain mill. Then that is IT! Brewery is set up!

Cheers thanks guys...

Lining up at Big W for sometime yet then!

Ive got to get the co2 bottle but a grain mill. Then that is IT brewery is set up!

Your dreaming Katie, it's never "that is IT Brewery is set up!" just ask Chappo.

Andrew

Righto Flame Suit is On! :p

It's a lot of faffing around to get adaptors, tubes etc to convert them. Then you have the hassels of finding someone willing to fill them plus with all the new WPH&S laws and fit for purpose stuff I think you'll find less and less businesses willing to put their houses on the line for a $20 refill. Just my opinion of course but $60 extra now isn't much when you have a worthless fire extinguisher that you spent $200 plus buck converting but now can't get it filled. Plus why put yourself, family, friends and possessions in unnessary danger to save a few bucks? Highly compressed gasses and someone not fully conversant with the knowledge equals disaster waiting to happen IMO.
2c

Flame away!

What a load of poppy cock !

Get an extinguisher there great, but I would not dream of paying over $100 for one already filled and converted.

Batz

It has been posted before many a time on the numerous other threads regarding using fire extinguishers as C02 bottles.....

Search for Fire Extinguisher on AHB Link

Cheers for the link. I do search, I just thought I would ask while we were on the topic. Maybe the OP didnt know ethier!

EDIT: that link was dodgy, I know were the search function is and how to use it. Please do not accuse me of not searching.

Your dreaming Katie, it's never "that is IT Brewery is set up!" just ask Chappo.

Andrew

I do secretly wonder what it would like to have three vessels! But dont tell PP! And Chappo SHUT UP! :unsure:

+1

I have however been finding it difficult to find a refiller, but it could just be where I'm living. If I were in a capital city it would be a breeze.

Edit: Remember, an extinguisher is tested and tagged as safe, so any fire services mob should refil without question.

Cheers

+1

I have however been finding it difficult to find a refiller, but it could just be where I'm living. If I were in a capital city it would be a breeze.

Edit: Remember, an extinguisher is tested and tagged as safe, so any fire services mob should refil without question.

Cheers

yeah that would make it unsafe in all offices, pubs would it??

+1

Cheers

I'm told its getting quite hard to get refills in Brisbane - 2c, tinkle.

Yeah, Chubb up here wants to swap mine over, but I've asked him to send it away with a very polite request to have it filled and sent back. Waiting to see if I'll be using my replacement extinguisher upside down or shelling out for a genuine CO2 cylinder.

Cheers

You want to play russian roulette (sp.) with things that you don't have a clue about go ahead.

I am saying is that it's getting harder unless you really really know someone on the inside. I reckon it won't be long until you just won't be able to get them refilled. So why waste your money?

Cheers for the link. I do search, I just thought I would ask while we were on the topic. Maybe the OP didnt know ethier!

I do secretly wonder what it would like to have three vessels! But dont tell PP! And Chappo SHUT UP! :unsure:

I would worry about PP but also your evil Boss (BribieG) if he gets wind of your secret desires... :ph34r:

running_on_fire.jpg

Edit: Added photo for effect and to stir Batz up! :rolleyes:

Cmon chappo if you had an extinguisher full of CO2 that fire would not have been a problem now would hey. :D

Chappo! Seriously mate, there's no need for that! If I want to look at that stuff I'll go to something awful or liveleak. Keep it PG!

I'm using an upside down extinguisher right now with no worries. Does anyone know of a reputable extinguisher service guy who is sympathetic to our needs in Sydney? PM me if you do, I might be up for a refill soon.

Added photo for effect and to stir Batz up!

Hasn't got that C02 look about it Chappo, and if you want to stir me up you need to do better than that! Go sit in the corner !

Batz...with two extinguishers that I fill myself!

image001.gif

Batz

Katie, which Big W do you get your soda stream bottles from and how much do they cost?

Ta

Back