Converted Fire Extinguisher

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIAB Daady is watching :ph34r: Katie you need 3 BIAB vessels so you can do 3 brew simultaneously every weekend just to keep your stocks up!

DrinkBeer, I have 2 fire extinguishers (5kg) and get them filled for $24 out at Canning Vale. Give John at Eversafe a ring on 0411 646 339 and see how much he is charging for converted fire extinguishers. The initial price and refill price on other bottles can be pretty hefty but maybe give Roy at TWOC a ring on 9418 8938 so as you can compare.

Cheers,
Pat

P.S. The only time you need to refill a bottle is when you get a leak. It happens :)

BIAB Daady is watching :ph34r: Katie you need 3 BIAB vessels so you can do 3 brew simultaneously every weekend just to keep your stocks up!

DrinkBeer, I have 2 fire extinguishers (5kg) and get them filled for $24 out at Canning Vale. Give John at Eversafe a ring on 0411 646 339 and see how much he is charging for converted fire extinguishers. The initial price and refill price on other bottles can be pretty hefty but maybe give Roy at TWOC a ring on 9418 8938 so as you can compare.

Cheers,
Pat

P.S. The only time you need to refill a bottle is when you get a leak. It happens :)

Thats where my quote came from :(

I got mine a few years ago and they were $175 so not much of an increase. I think you can get it chepaer if you provide the extinguisher.

It's a judgement call on convenience as to what you do. BOC is heaps expensive but you can get them refilled easily. I am not sure what prices the HB shops charge and for what size bottles but as I said, give Roy a ring to find out. He'll be there now and in one phone call you'll have the info you need.

I will throw my 2 cents worth in.

I have a 5kg fire extinguisher, and found that I was only getting about half way through it when I would find that it had vented out through the pin seal that the handle depresses.

Didn't matter if I left it on all the time, or only gave it gas when I needed to, after about 6 months it would vent out. Nothing catastrophic, just a slow vent that left me with no gas.

I did some research and in WA there is a guy who sells converted CO2 extinguishers with a screw down valve (search for the term) but he was only selling a few more when I called him, so he may not be doing it anymore. These were steel bottles, not aluminium as most of the fire extinguishers used by homebrewers are. The aluminium ones are not well suited to converting the neck thread to fit 3/4"BSP screw down valves, and although I would say it is possible to do it, I would not do it myself given the costs of getting bottles with screw down valves from some HB suppliers is now much better than it used to be when BOC had a monopoly on the game.

I would think that the time will come when the authorities will crack down on refilling converted extinguishers, so you might be better off forking out a bit more now to get not only peace of mind, but an extended lifetime for your purchase.

Personally I don't think the fire extinguishers are a danger other than if one was to vent in an enclosed space it may create an asphyxiation hazard, but these things are designed to hold great pressure for a long time and to release it over about 30-40 seconds in one go. The valves are not designed to be open for a long time and the O ring dries out, or to be operated repeatedly, where the O ring gets scored and leaks.

Crundle

Hairy Muff.

Any one want to watch me turn my money into air?? $10 a ticket, limits of 25 people!!

Nothing wrong with the extinguisher Katie! I use one. It's more the price. The 5kg extinguisher I procured a couple of years back came in at $80 filled (with hydrostatic testing and dip tube removed), and I am currently getting it refilled (second time in two years) for $77.

If the cheapest extinguisher you can get ahold of is $200+, then I'd go a genuine cylinder as it will be easier and cheaper to get these filled.

Cheers

$77 to refill 5kg? it only cost $67 to swap my size F bottle (is it 10kg?)

Cheers for the link. I do search, I just thought I would ask while we were on the topic. Maybe the OP didnt know ethier!

EDIT: that link was dodgy, I know were the search function is and how to use it. Please do not accuse me of not searching.
Sorry Katie, but I wasn't accusing you of not knowing how to use the search function or failing to ever use it. It's just that this topic comes up on almost a monthly basis and its the same people posting the same comments and arguments everytime. Was trying to be helpful :(

They aren't designed for our application.

Chappo

Neither are esky's used as mash tuns, computer fans made into stir plates, chest freezers used as keg fridges, fridges ran at fermenting temperatures and the list goes on.

Batz

Neither are esky's used as mash tuns, computer fans made into stir plates, chest freezers used as keg fridges, fridges ran at fermenting temperatures and the list goes on.

Batz

Well put Batz.

No more homebrewed gear for me, far to dangerous. Will also cease boiling my wort, better keep it to a safe temp.

All of this extinguisher shit has been done to death, FFS.

Disclaimer: This post is made partly tongue in cheek, I don't want to risk upsetting some soft cock, please don't bother warning me that doing so may be misuse of humor or dangerous in some way to some dick head.

Screwy

My 2c...

Buying a proper bottle you can refill easily is a once off expence. If you got the Fire Extinguisher route to save a few bucks now you might not be able to fill it in a year or two.

I have 2 x 2.6kg bottles from AirUp. Not as big as I would like but they have yet to leak and are $25 a refill (last about 6 months at my rate).

Well put Batz.

No more homebrewed gear for me, far to dangerous. Will also cease boiling my wort, better keep it to a safe temp.

All of this extinguisher shit has been done to death, FFS.

Disclaimer: This post is made partly tongue in cheek, I don't want to risk upsetting some soft cock, please don't bother warning me that doing so may be misuse of humor or dangerous in some way to some dick head.

Screwy

I'm with you there Screwy, Co2 fire extinguisher for me.

Andrew

Batz

:lol:

Well someone had to stir the conversation along :ph34r:

Geez you guys are touchy.

No need to convert. Simply pickup an extinguisher that the reg screws straight onto. I was running mine upside down, but as my holder fell apart, I've been using it right way up for 18 months no issues.

Plenty of extinguisher refil places around Sydney - seeing as my extinguisher isn't converted, I don't care if they swap it or refill it. :)

Katie, which Big W do you get your soda stream bottles from and how much do they cost?

Ta

Personally I wouldnt go the soda stream way, my partner had one from years ago for the purpose of soda stream, the adaptor was $40.... We purchased another bottle for $40. We can pretty much carb 2 kegs and dispense two kegs (I think). We are constantly running out of gas and there $12.00 to fill! Also Big W runs out of them often and sometimes takes awhile for them to get them in. We get ours from Spearwood Big W... Most would have them. Woolworths sells them but does not fill them.

Sorry Katie, but I wasn't accusing you of not knowing how to use the search function or failing to ever use it. It's just that this topic comes up on almost a monthly basis and its the same people posting the same comments and arguments everytime. Was trying to be helpful :(

No worries, I must of missed the threads, you gave me a link to the front page of AHB and it kind of gave me the shits. Sorry i didnt mean to offend you either. :)

Patch Im just curious sometimes that is all! I love my Biab bag and Daddy!

I have two 5kg extinguishers which I got from John at Eversafe. They were about $200 each and cost about $20 to fill. Checking other hbs for gas bottles and the price for the bottle was much higher. Didn't check TWOC as they don't have it listed online. Looking at brewmart they have 2.3kg for $270 and $30 for the exchange. Westbrew are $320 for 4.5kg bottle, $30 for the refill. So converted fire extinguisher from Eversafe is the best value in terms of initial outlay and refill.

No worries, I must of missed the threads, you gave me a link to the front page of AHB and it kind of gave me the shits. Sorry i didnt mean to offend you either. :)
No Problems I just hope you get some vaild advice, orginally I was going to get a fire extinguisher did a lot of research and asked everyone I knew who had one most of those who did complianed about leaks and issues with operation and they have moved on to buy proper C02 bottles. I also liked the soda stream idea but in the end I ended up getting 2.6 kg C02 from Beer Belly's and have never looked backsuits me to a tee as I only run a 2 keg converted freezer. The cheap option isn't always the best as i have learn with my marga mill...... :lol: that's another story for another day

Marga Mill $100
MillMaster $269
Regret for not waiting and saving up Mill Master while milling grain with marga mill by hand Priceless...!!!!!!
Chances of my wife letting buy another mill in the near future Buckley's :(

If you're patient and keep checking you will find one on grays online or ebay for well under $100. When I got mine I just had a saved search on ebay which sent me an update every day with newly listed items having "extinguisher" in the title. Took about three weeks for one to come up from a private seller, then I used jbidwatcher to snipe it in the last 15 seconds of the auction. Cost me $50, full, never used and in test date for about 6 years. When I empty it, if I can't get it filled cheaply and easily I'll just do that again. All mine needed to connect to a reg was a 3/8" male to male adapter which I got in the air tools section of bunnings for less than $5. You have to use it upside down but I reckon that's easier than waiting until it's empty, pulling out the diptube and then hoping your filler won't pick it up. certainly cheaper than paying $260 for a MKOL cylinder.
There was also a load of 16 of them which came up that I promised to buy and distribute amongst the members here It only went for $300, but we don't talk about how we missed out on that one...

There was some discussion about whether the valve would fail being kept in the open position for long periods of time, but I can't really see how that would happen, and I've only heard speculation, not actual anecdotes. It's not like the parts aren't designed for exposure to CO2, which isn't exactly corrosive, and the seals should be fine whilst not compressed.

EDIT: you will need to make sure you find one in your area because Auspost won't ship them, and it'd probably be expensive for any of the couriers to carry them (it'll be classed as hazardous goods or something). There are none available right now within 100km of Perth or Fremantle (Drinkbeer and Katie, you're still in these locations, right?), but there is one in melbourne with 3 hours left, $40 no bids yet, and another big lot in Sydney for $39ea atm (I found at least one CO2 extinguisher in that camperdown lot). Again, if you're patient, they should show up in the big ol' West in due course.

There was some discussion about whether the valve would fail being kept in the open position for long periods of time, but I can't really see how that would happen, and I've only heard speculation, not actual anecdotes. It's not like the parts aren't designed for exposure to CO2, which isn't exactly corrosive, and the seals should be fine whilst not compressed.
The O'ring seals on the trigger valves do tend to leak after a while, best thing to do is next time your cylinder goes in for a refill ask them to fit a screwdown valve. The valves need to be maintained every ten years if they need new seals they just replace them anyway.

You want to play russian roulette (sp.) with things that you don't have a clue about go ahead.

I am saying is that it's getting harder unless you really really know someone on the inside. I reckon it won't be long until you just won't be able to get them refilled. So why waste your money?

I would worry about PP but also your evil Boss (BribieG) if he gets wind of your secret desires... :ph34r:

running_on_fire.jpg

Edit: Added photo for effect and to stir Batz up! :rolleyes:

It takes a special kind of dickhead to figure out how to self-immolate with a fire extinguisher

Back