Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
niftinev said:
who the **** did you use?

banks just rip you off
******* bank. Even Travelex is offering 1AUD=1.0135NZD. I got stung because I didn't check. A week ago I got 1AUD=1.02NZD, with the same bank, just assumed it would be around the same.

That said, the NZD been strengthening apparently.

Edit: On the plus side, it was only a small transaction and not the bulk of funds I'll be changing. Will shop around for that.

what are you exchanging funds for? a holiday/trip to NZ?

Citibank Plus Visa Debit card... its free, and you can then withdraw money at ATM's anywhere in the world Visa is accepted for the current visa exchange rate (plus any ATM fee)

Will save you heaps on any overseas holidays, as you dont have to carry heaps of cash, can take money out as needed, and the exchange rate will be much better than any forex exchange place

Just saved you $ ;)

for example
current visa exchange rate on $1000 NZD
Citibank would set you back ~$956 AUD
Travelex exchange would set you back ~$987 AUD

There's a decent quality 6 pack difference there :)

SBOB said:
what are you exchanging funds for? a holiday/trip to NZ?

Citibank Plus Visa Debit card... its free, and you can then withdraw money at ATM's anywhere in the world Visa is accepted for the current visa exchange rate (plus any ATM fee)

Will save you heaps on any overseas holidays, as you dont have to carry heaps of cash, can take money out as needed, and the exchange rate will be much better than any forex exchange place

Just saved you $ ;)

for example
current visa exchange rate on $1000 NZD
Citibank would set you back ~$956 AUD
Travelex exchange would set you back ~$987 AUD

There's a decent quality 6 pack difference there :)
Nice. Yeah holiday, 3 weeks in Sep

probably still time to apply for the card :)

Having a Citibank Visa Debit and a 28degree/Bankwest Zero Platinum should be mandatory cards in the wallet of anyone who travels or buys online from o'seas

Well, at least it cheered this bloke up.

3790C1DF00000578-3757560-image-a-19_1472107249031.jpg

(Earlier..) sniff..sniff..

Untitled_zpsc5f7jgv0.png

Fremantle is full of the Amish.

Edit: Well... People that want to dress like them at least. Its Amish/Hipster Central now.

Hopefully they remove this divisive edifice and replace it with something more inclusive. Or at least fit it with a nice cardigan and pork pie hat.

bon-scott-statue.jpg

technobabble66 said:
What's with the caption at the bottom of the first pic?
"Australians of British Heritage for Indigenous Justice"
Wtf?!?
I just don't get how it equates to "no fireworks"

Liam_snorkel said:
I just don't get how it equates to "no fireworks"
Neither does the aboriginal bloke who does a bit of casual work for us who I was talking to about this today. Even based on a sample size of one, I'd be willing to wager a large sum of my own money that if you surveyed the entire indigenous population of Australia, the majority would find it equally as embarrassing and cringeworthy.
I'll bet old buck tooth Mc Straw hat with the placard is still happy to take the ******* holiday however, if he works, or collect double time at the vegan cafe where he slings soy lattes. (probably..)

Dave70 said:
Neither does the aboriginal bloke who does a bit of casual work for us who I was talking to about this today. Even based on a sample size of one, I'd be willing to wager a large sum of my own money that if you surveyed the entire indigenous population of Australia, the majority would find it equally as embarrassing and cringeworthy.
I'll bet old buck tooth Mc Straw hat with the placard is still happy to take the ******* holiday however, if he works, or collect double time at the vegan cafe where he slings soy lattes. (probably..)
My Aboriginal friends have the same feeling of cringe towards this.
They say the only people they know who harp on about it are relatives who live on sitdown money

On Friday arvo I logged into my bank account to check balance and see there is a bunch of different charges all under $100 each which has overdrawn the account and left me with no money. Thinking someone has my card details I called the bank asap. Upon investigation the charges have been manually put through by them for purchases I supposedly made over 2 months ago at which time they had a system glitch. If I want them to investigate themselves... and they find the purchaes did come from my account then I have to pay $50. They are all from local shops I do use, Aldi, woollies etc. although there is one from bakers delight for $40 which I'm dubious about. So where do I go from here? Can they legally even do this? No notice given whatsoever that they would be doing this or telling me over 2 months back when there had been a system fault. I feel like I should be contacting the financial ombudsman. Pretty ropeable. This account is linked to my mortgage but the cost to refinance wouldn't be worth changing banks at the moment.

ScottyDoesntKnow said:
On Friday arvo I logged into my bank account to check balance and see there is a bunch of different charges all under $100 each which has overdrawn the account and left me with no money. Thinking someone has my card details I called the bank asap. Upon investigation the charges have been manually put through by them for purchases I supposedly made over 2 months ago at which time they had a system glitch. If I want them to investigate themselves... and they find the purchaes did come from my account then I have to pay $50. They are all from local shops I do use, Aldi, woollies etc. although there is one from bakers delight for $40 which I'm dubious about. So where do I go from here? Can they legally even do this? No notice given whatsoever that they would be doing this or telling me over 2 months back when there had been a system fault. I feel like I should be contacting the financial ombudsman. Pretty ropeable. This account is linked to my mortgage but the cost to refinance wouldn't be worth changing banks at the moment.
Suncorp?

You don't actually have to change banks to get results. Ring them to make a complaint and tell them you're taking your business elsewhere if you're not satisfied with their response.
They have customer retention departments that have KPIs attached to how many they can retain. You'd be surprised by what they'll give you a just for asking.

Nah not Suncorp, small tier 2 lender. Got the missus trying to sort this out, I'm working on a remote mine site on night shift at the moment. Impossible to try and deal with this till I get home. I got her to ring back and ask some more questions, like what date these transactions supposedly happened and with who's card e.g. would be a bit sus if they happened with my card while I was away working... They told her they would charge us $50 per transaction! to verify this information. That's when she mentioned the financial ombudsman and then all of a sudden they can email the wife through the details.. She just printed out our statements for the last few months and they are very different to what shows up on Internet banking. Calling the financial ombudsman first thing tomorrow.

Dave70 said:
Well, at least it cheered this bloke up.

3790C1DF00000578-3757560-image-a-19_1472107249031.jpg

(Earlier..) sniff..sniff..

Untitled_zpsc5f7jgv0.png
Have a fuckin go at that specimen would you!

Send that goose to a Nth QLD pub for a session with some locals, looks like he needs a wakeup call.

Back