Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really worry about cholesterol try the Portfolio diet. Developed by a Canadian uni.
Psyllium. Oat bran porridge. Nuts. Eggplant and other gooey veg.

**** the Mediterranean scam, I've been all over the Med including the African shore, Turkey and Israel and they don't eat like that. They mostly live on bread, as white as possible, pasta or cous cous, full fat dairy, lashings of fats and the fattiest meats they can lay their hands on. With veg in season of course.
Greeks and Turks would come closest but still pretty much bread bread bread at every meal with an alarming sugar intake (eight small glasses of tea a day is normal in Turkey or Egypt with 2 lumps of sugar in each)
Wash down your Baklava. mmmmmm

Ok is this a rant thread or a rant thread?

So take a slab of countries from Iceland through to the former Soviet Union including all of Europe.
Then take reliable data from the World Health Organisation and the Food and Agriculture Organisation.

Do a bar graph of the amount of saturated fat consumed per 100,000 population against the incidence of Cardiovascular / Coronary Heart / Stroke diseases.

Sat-Fat-CHD.jpeg

The countries on the Left eat less sat fat, countries on the right eat more.
France, of course, where the staple cooking fat is butter, comes in best.
Interestingly Spain (use lots of lard) pips Italy (swimming in olive oil).

For some reason Israel comes into the list, but not doing too bad.

Some real shockers are in the former USSR countries but that's more likely to do with a crap diet anyway plus vodka and almost universal smoking among older people.

Bribie G said:
Why does every tv show set anywhere West of say Penrith have to be accompanied by wailing twangy AMERICAN bottle neck guitar playing?

Birdsville Pub ... twang twang twang twoing ... Charleville ..... twong twoing twang ******* twang twang....
I'm more of a slap bass man myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH2Wz9MqqGI

Bribie G said:

So take a slab of countries from Iceland through to the former Soviet Union including all of Europe.
Then take reliable data from the World Health Organisation and the Food and Agriculture Organisation.

Do a bar graph of the amount of saturated fat consumed per 100,000 population against the incidence of Cardiovascular / Coronary Heart / Stroke diseases.

attachicon.gif
Sat-Fat-CHD.jpeg

Some real shockers are in the former USSR countries but that's more likely to do with a crap diet anyway plus vodka and almost universal smoking among older people.
Testify! I second this line of thinking. Fats good, eggs good, nuts good. Sugar (in the amounts it is used in most "Western" diets) bad. That said, nothing is bad or good, it's the dosage that matters.

Bribie G said:

attachicon.gif
Sat-Fat-CHD.jpeg

The facts remain however. The longest lived and healthiest populations on the planet eat very little in the way of (processed) saturated fats. MUFA and omega 3 rich olive and fish oils are the ones helping southern Mediterraneans into their nonagenarian prime, certainly not the ubiquitous PUFAs that find their way into just about every processed food under the sun, let alone the hydrogenated shit that is actual more of a mild toxin than food additive.

If a program I once watched on the subject was accurate, set in Crete I think, a daily session with a carafe of vino, a ciggy or three and some impromptu rooting were also key elements to longevity.

{speeling}

I grew up in the North East of England surrounded by rather malodorous great grandmas, great great aunts etc who all lived into their 90s and occasionally 100 (grandma passed away at 99 and didn't get the Queen's telegram)

Lard, dripping and goose grease all the way but of course not too much, it was still a luxury in the days when a pound of steak was £1 and weekly wages were £20.. when I was 8 I drank a small bottle of olive oil that was in the bathroom cabinet for ear wax removal. Tasted great on the first sip so I skulled it.

I got whipped off (on the trolley bus of course) to the ER in a panic with Mam sobbing "why did you do it, son?".

Canola oil margarine.

Pure

Healthy

Full of Omega 3 fatty acids

Glory

Praise

canola oil process.png

Bribie G said:
I grew up in the North East of England surrounded by rather malodorous great grandmas, great great aunts etc who all lived into their 90s and occasionally 100 (grandma passed away at 99 and didn't get the Queen's telegram)

Lard, dripping and goose grease all the way but of course not too much, it was still a luxury in the days when a pound of steak was £1 and weekly wages were £20.. when I was 8 I drank a small bottle of olive oil that was in the bathroom cabinet for ear wax removal. Tasted great on the first sip so I skulled it.

I got whipped off (on the trolley bus of course) to the ER in a panic with Mam sobbing "why did you do it, son?".
I use to be puzzled by the seeming paradox of 'bread and dripping' and folk living into their nineties and beyond.
Then I came to realize these people also marched to the Somme or Operation Overlord, fought a war, came home, cooked a dozen meals from scratch then hand washed and wrung the laundry for sixteen extended family with a hand cranked mangle, then walked ten miles up hill to quarry basalt for ten hours before lunch time.

Nowadays, well...

182014050275.jpg

Dave70 said:
I use to be puzzled by the seeming paradox of 'bread and dripping' and folk living into their nineties and beyond.
Then I came to realize these people also marched to the Somme or Operation Overlord, fought a war, came home, cooked a dozen meals from scratch then hand washed and wrung the laundry for sixteen extended family with a hand cranked mangle, then walked ten miles up hill to quarry basalt for ten hours before lunch time.

Nowadays, well...
Infant mortality weeded out the weak none of these fancy hospitals or antibiotics.

wynnum1 said:
Infant mortality weeded out the weak none of these fancy hospitals or antibiotics.
And the depression and starvation weeded out the lazy and un motivated. The good o'l days.

My great grandfather drank himself to death on Newcastle Brown Ale back when it had a dedicated ward in the Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary.

Those were the days, just look at these guys after a hard day at the shipyards, you can almost feel them reaching out to us after nearly a century with contentment, good humour and mateship. No TV, smartphones, doubt if they ever aspired to own a car.. but they had the broon.

newcastle brown ale.jpg

You can have whatever diet you like, whatever fitness regime you want to follow, whichever AFD(s) you think are necessary etc etc. if you speak English as your first language you're screwed.

Bribie G said:
My great grandfather drank himself to death on Newcastle Brown Ale back when it had a dedicated ward in the Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary.

Those were the days, just look at these guys after a hard day at the shipyards, you can almost feel them reaching out to us after nearly a century with contentment, good humour and mateship. No TV, smartphones, doubt if they ever aspired to own a car.. but they had the broon.

newcastle brown ale.jpg

The exchange rate on the NZD right now. Just got 1AUD = 0.98NZD, WTF?!

Did we lose a war?! I mean I know it's been a long time since we've won the Bledisloe, but this is an outrage!

Fraser's BRB said:

Did we lose a war?! I mean I know it's been a long time since we've won the Bledisloe, but this is an outrage!
who the **** did you use?

banks just rip you off

Fraser's BRB said:

and this is why you dont use paypal or most banks exchange rates

Current mastercard rate is 0.957758 for NZD to AUD, which is what you would get using something like the 28degree or Bankwest Zero Platinum credit cards
Anything else is going to sting you a few cents/percent, which is why you ended up at 0.98something
Which on a couple of dollars is negligible, but on a decent sized transaction thats beer money going to waste

Back