Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had to develop and redesign a dashboard report for work.

Despite the fact that that is what I do for a job and have done for years the boss (who does have that backgorund) thinks he knows better what the "exec" want to see.

My first version - clear concise, applying modern "visual analytics" blah blah.

Boss says "No, thats no good" - they want heaps more detail, more charts and big red bits to show when targets arent being met.

So I redesign it - with everything he wants, he sends it out for feedback. This version is too busy and confusing.

So after 8 different versions and lots of "educating" my boss on how to design an effective dashboard report.

The final version goes up to the "exec" and they say thats perfect - exactly the key measures displayed in an "at a glance" way thats easy to interpret.

Need I say - but version 8 was almost exactly like my version 1.

I have a bump on my head from the constant banging it against a wall.

I sometimes wonder whose team my boss bats for.

Pun not intended.

practicalfool said:
I sometimes wonder whose team my boss bats for.

Pun not intended.
If he's any good, the Australian Test selectors may want his phone number.

GrumpyPaul said:

Despite the fact that that is what I do for a job and have done for years the boss (who does have that backgorund) thinks he knows better what the "exec" want to see.

Boss says "No, thats no good" - they want heaps more detail, more charts and big red bits to show when targets arent being met.

So I redesign it - with everything he wants, he sends it out for feedback. This version is too busy and confusing.

So after 8 different versions and lots of "educating" my boss on how to design an effective dashboard report.

The final version goes up to the "exec" and they say thats perfect - exactly the key measures displayed in an "at a glance" way thats easy to interpret.

I had a bit of a laugh at that.......... then deep sadness having been there..etc..etc

GrumpyPaul said:

Are you a public servant by any chance?

Bridges said:
I want to buy a new acoustic guitar, tried to visit a local-ish music store as they had a couple of models I was interested in trying out, half hour drive later 4:15 friday arvo the place is shut. ****! Who shuts a shop then. No sign or anything, so I ring them a bit upset leave a message saying I'm dissapointed I was interested in this guitar can you let me know when you are open and my mobile number.
1:49am this morning, fast asleep I get a call on my mobile, answer thinking the worst only to cop an ear full of abuse and swearing. I answer with "can I help you??" More abuse and swearing so I hang up.
This morning I google the number and it is the mobile of the guy who owns the music store and school associated with it.
What in the ******* ****! I figure I must have got an employee in trouble for pissing off early on a friday or something so I ring him and he deny's everything says he was at a function at that time last night, and has a go at me for telling him he needs to be more careful as this could negatively affect his business. Quote (best as I can remember) "Don't tell me how I should look after my phone or my business" Alternates between denials and having a go at me until I tell him there will be crap reviews all over the internet if you don't listen to what I'm telling you and think about how it looks from my end. Eventually got a half arsed crappy apology of sorts out of him.

Anywho I now know where I won't be buying a guitar, or strings, or sending my kids for lessons. What a douche...

Rant over...

P.S. Just to make it clear the store near me in question wasn't in Greensborough.
Cool story bro...
Now do tell us, did you end up getting anything?

petesbrew said:
Cool story bro...
Now do tell us, did you end up getting anything?
No... Well besides getting angry. Now I have to make the time to go to a store that's a bit further away to try out the guitar I wanted to.

Bridges said:
No... Well besides getting angry. Now I have to make the time to go to a store that's a bit further away to try out the guitar I wanted to.
Guitar salesmen are like that.
I really love the bit where the salesman pulls the guitar off the hanger and instead of giving it to you, HE plays a cool bluesy guitar riff, gives it to you, crosses his arms and waits to see how you play....

petesbrew said:
I really love the bit where the salesman pulls the guitar off the hanger and instead of giving it to you, HE plays a cool bluesy guitar riff, gives it to you, crosses his arms and waits to see how you play....

Just rip out a little 'smoke on the water'

Might get a laugh !

CF

Ducatiboy stu said:
I had a bit of a laugh at that.......... then deep sadness having been there..etc..etc
Went to a trade show once and watched a demo up on stage if a guy who had clearly left the company he was doing it for, prior to the event.

Same sort of circumstances as grumpypaul... Told a similar story, and said that the best advice he could give anyone was to keep version 1... By the time they finish pissing you around under the idea that your boss knows what the client wants... Pull version one out, and call it a fresh idea :)

CrookedFingers said:
Just rip out a little 'smoke on the water'

Might get a laugh !

CF
Or spend a minute or two positioning your fingers into the chords for Knockin on Heavens door.
Play it badly... and when he tries to take it off you, start singing.

petesbrew said:
Better than one of the other stores I visited recently and none of the guitars were even in tune, surely that is the first job of the day. It makes the best one sound shit and gets tired real quick when you are trying to compare a few and they are all out of tune.
Actually reminds me of when I tried to buy my first big telly, a sony bravia which has been great, one of the stores I visited Clive Peeters had the African Queen a black and white filum from 19dickety2 or some such showing, made every TV in the place look shit. I asked the sales guy if I could change the channel he said "no store policy they all have to be on the same channel" So I didn't buy my telly there and then a few years later they wen't broke. Dick heads.

If it was anything like my Bravia, that was probably a cover up because the remote controls were already fucked.

Back