Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spog said:
Holy shit ! Those liquidators hourly rates are unbelievable ,even the typist must be driving a Jag.
I hate that implication, alright, those particular chargable rates are quite high but the amount of people that don't understand how chargable hourly rates are calculated is retarded, people seem to think they are only paying for a bloke to do a job, they forget that all over heads that make it possible for the job to be done need to be accounted for in that rate.

People question the rates my time is charged at all the time, like I'm getting a bloody cut of that money on top of my wage (which is less than 20% the rate clients pay for my time)

brewinski said:
Went to a trade show once and watched a demo up on stage if a guy who had clearly left the company he was doing it for, prior to the event.

Same sort of circumstances as grumpypaul... Told a similar story, and said that the best advice he could give anyone was to keep version 1... By the time they finish pissing you around under the idea that your boss knows what the client wants... Pull version one out, and call it a fresh idea :)

My favourite trick is to keep version one but alter the line spacing by 0.15, works 90% of the time.

Just for future reference, any of you, if you feel them rates are to high, and they are, for anyone not just lawyers. Take them to the Aus Cost Assessor and they will determine if they are fair and reasonable.
Because apparently $5 per photocopy seems reasonable to a lawyer :huh:

Only know this as I know 2 lads who have gone through the No Win No Fee compensation lawyers, ones back being absolutely buggered from work and the other blind in one eye from work accident, and the lawyers bill was HUGE, so they paid $100 to the Cost Assessor or whatever it is and got some more money in the kitty.

shaunous said:
Not saying your not worth every penny Donske ;)
Unfortunately the business I work for isn't in a position to gouge our clients, the mining procurement/export marketplace is flooded with people who've seen the opportunity to cash in after getting back from a stint in PNG, Indo or Fiji, I could wrangle some better pay if I could get away with tacking an extra 50-100% markup on my rate.

Yeh I done my hard yards in PNG, but settled for an easy job and life on the farm.

Mining procurement/export doesn't sound real relaxing to me :)

Back at the start of the year I got conned by the missus to buy a voucher with a mob called top Hotel Deals for an accomodation voucher. We booked a room through them for a place in Thailand but the next day cancelled that and booked another place instead. Received a confirmation via email and the new resort contacted us to pay them the deposit.

When we arrived in Thailand I received a call from Top hotel Deals asking why we hadn't turned up at the first resort. I explained we had cancelled and forwarded them the email they had sent confirming this. Okay no worries he says.

Then the original resort takes out $270 from my account as a no show. Phone Top Hotel Deals and they tell me they will refund the money but a month later after numerous emails and promises that its being processed nothing happens.

I lodge a dispute with my bank who say there isnt much they can do as the resort had every right to take the money as a no show. But she says she will look into it and a few days later says the bank will reimburse me even though they wont be able to recoup the cost. (ANZ FTW)
I posted on Trip advisor warning people not to deal with Top hotel Deals and why.

6 months later Top Hotel Deals send me an email saying the guy who was dealing with my claim has left and they will gladly refund the money if I update my post on trip advisor.

So Ive now been re-imbursed twice...WINNING

Donske said:
I hate that implication, alright, those particular chargable rates are quite high but the amount of people that don't understand how chargable hourly rates are calculated is retarded, people seem to think they are only paying for a bloke to do a job, they forget that all over heads that make it possible for the job to be done need to be accounted for in that rate.
Yep. My chargeout rates are over 2K/day but I don't see anything like that amount. Overheads eat a lot of that.

Cheers
Dave

Donske said:

People question the rates my time is charged at all the time, like I'm getting a bloody cut of that money on top of my wage (which is less than 20% the rate clients pay for my time)

My favourite trick is to keep version one but alter the line spacing by 0.15, works 90% of the time.
Was a piss take,I am self employed and I know what must be allowed for to make ends meet.

A while ago I bought some stuff from Kogan (an online tech store for those who haven't heard of it), and since then banner ads have featured them. That I'm fine with- it makes sense they'll advertise to someone they know is in their audience. My issue is that they keep advertising stuff I've already bought, or the advertising of which makes no sense. I got a couple of tempered glass screen protectors for my Galaxy Note. So I get an email suggesting I buy a Galaxy note. Why the **** would I buy a screen protector for a phone I don't own? Yesterday I bought a vac sealer (to replace one that recently died). What's at the top of AHB? A banner ad for Kogan advertising their vac sealers. That's just stupid, why wouldn't they advertise things in the same category instead? It's not that big a deal, but it comes across as kinda stupid.

Bridges said:
Better than one of the other stores I visited recently and none of the guitars were even in tune, surely that is the first job of the day. It makes the best one sound shit and gets tired real quick when you are trying to compare a few and they are all out of tune.
Actually reminds me of when I tried to buy my first big telly, a sony bravia which has been great, one of the stores I visited Clive Peeters had the African Queen a black and white filum from 19dickety2 or some such showing, made every TV in the place look shit. I asked the sales guy if I could change the channel he said "no store policy they all have to be on the same channel" So I didn't buy my telly there and then a few years later they wen't broke. Dick heads.
That's a lot of guitars to tune, but good point.

When I was guitar shopping earlier this year I did a halfarse look at Billy Hydes. they mainly do Gibsons (which I can't afford) and Epi's (which I'm not keen on). But I gave the Epiphone a go anyway. First guitar, broken string. Second guitar badly out of tune, rusty strings. Started tuning it and one of the string went with a great big F##ken BANG! Even drew blood! Never had a guitar string break like that before. Whatever shit happens, I don't like the guitar anyway.

As a courtesy I tell the salesguy on the way out what happened. "No worries, man" He just grabs the guitar, yanks the broken string out, and shoves it back up on the rack. Hopeless.

peas_and_corn said:
A while ago I bought some stuff from Kogan (an online tech store for those who haven't heard of it), and since then banner ads have featured them. That I'm fine with- it makes sense they'll advertise to someone they know is in their audience. My issue is that they keep advertising stuff I've already bought, or the advertising of which makes no sense. I got a couple of tempered glass screen protectors for my Galaxy Note. So I get an email suggesting I buy a Galaxy note. Why the **** would I buy a screen protector for a phone I don't own? Yesterday I bought a vac sealer (to replace one that recently died). What's at the top of AHB? A banner ad for Kogan advertising their vac sealers. That's just stupid, why wouldn't they advertise things in the same category instead? It's not that big a deal, but it comes across as kinda stupid.
Ruslan Kogan was recently named in the BRW young rich list, worth $349 million at 31years of age so he must be doing something right, definitely pipped me :)

Trying to argue the legitimacy of public service cuts with people who work in the public service. More difficult than sparging 100% rye. No sweetness at the end either.

Not For Horses said:
Trying to argue the legitimacy of public service cuts with people who work in the public service. More difficult than sparging 100% rye. No sweetness at the end either.
Bit like pushing shit up hill with a pointed stick,I know a lot of people in the public service who have a "I have a job for life " mentality .
And more who are grateful for having a job,they are the go to people when a problem crops up.

Not For Horses said:
At least you can sparge 100% rye...

I was once classified a public servant.... a tradesman.....not a pencil pusher....I used to argue that we helped keep the trains on time and the government was against us.....still get a smile at those that where promoted to their level of incompetance B)

I feel your pain

Wondered why the hops and fruit trees were looking a little poorly this week - a little lifeless, wilted and dry. The answer came when I removed the inspection hatch of the envirocycle to discover the final treatment tank loaded with a magazine of chlorine tablets. Being on tank water, you do your best to utilize every drop you can, especially with the dry weather lately, to that end, I had an arrangement with the bloke who services and signs off the unit - we have to under council regs - NOT (yes I explained it speaking in caps lock) to refill the chlorine hopper with the understanding that if in the 1 in a billion, gazillion chance the council ever caught wind of my devious plan, I would accept full responsibility.The chlorine in the water basically just ******* dwarfs or kills anything you choose to irrigate with it. Try watering your veg with pool water for a practical demonstration if you like.

Right when everything is beginning to fruit and flower also, not to mention the the subtle poisoning the hops have copped.

**** me. Whats the world coming to when you cant even pay a bloke not to do his job thoroughly.

Ahh petrol prices.
Unleaded being sold in Adelaide for $ 1.20 a litre (yesterday) and prices well below the $ 1.57 a litre here in Port Lincoln and yet tankers transport fuel to Adelaide from here and it sells for less.
Must be lark this fuel business ,surely that's breaking some laws.The $ claim used to be that I was to do with crude oil prices ,then the $ exchange rate ( ****'n tourists filling they bags with ULP then pissing off back to their own country) and the lasted claim is its tied up with the Singapore price parity.
I wish they would make up their minds so a bloke can get a good nights sleep.:).

Dave70 said:
Wondered why the hops and fruit trees were looking a little poorly this week - a little lifeless, wilted and dry. The answer came when I removed the inspection hatch of the envirocycle to discover the final treatment tank loaded with a magazine of chlorine tablets. Being on tank water, you do your best to utilize every drop you can, especially with the dry weather lately, to that end, I had an arrangement with the bloke who services and signs off the unit - we have to under council regs - NOT (yes I explained it speaking in caps lock) to refill the chlorine hopper with the understanding that if in the 1 in a billion, gazillion chance the council ever caught wind of my devious plan, I would accept full responsibility.The chlorine in the water basically just ******* dwarfs or kills anything you choose to irrigate with it. Try watering your veg with pool water for a practical demonstration if you like.

Right when everything is beginning to fruit and flower also, not to mention the the subtle poisoning the hops have copped.

**** me. Whats the world coming to when you cant even pay a bloke not to do his job thoroughly.
You need to get your hands onto a few gallons of Sodium Thiosulfate- that will sort out the chlorine as quick as they can put it in.

Bloody anApple gear, have been using an old HTC usb charger plug along with a generic lead to charge my iphone5 and lately there's been a message coming up on the screen saying this accessory is not supported and may not work correctly. It then stops charging. I don't know if these shifty bastards have snuck a ninja update through or not, but I'm not happy about it. Startyed happening completely out of the blue.

Back