Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.. and we also seem to be making the most ignorant and stupid people famous, that doesn't help either on the soapbox front.

You would not be surprised how many spelling issues I fix, where it would help the smooth running and search function of this forum. There is still a lot that go through to the keeper.

It's not a new problem. And it's not specific to youth.

People of all ages - many on this forum for example - completely omit proper grammar and punctuation from their sentences. You'll find no commas or periods, paragraphs of text that don't read properly. And those posters are adults. Don't go blaming teachers or kids, ignorance hasn't changed since you were young, it's just that the ignorant now have easier access to a louder soapbox (think Twitter)

People say technology is making the newer generations antisocial too, yet you'll find a photo of a 1920s bus stop with all 20 people buried in a newspaper.

Thats an interesting one...as one who is not as pedantic as he used to be, but still has moments...I have to live with a head space that on some days can be quite lucid, almost erudite....other days I feel like I'm almost thinking in shorthand, and the typed word follows this head space.....

Don't go blaming teachers or kids,

Yeah, point taken re teachers. They have a curriculum to follow. And as I said, I certainly don't blame the kids of the day. If they're not taught these things, how in hell are they expected to communicate properly.

He/she made a concerted effort.

No single person can make a concerted effort (save those with multiple personality disorder).

Next, begging the question.

It's not a new problem. And it's not specific to youth.

People of all ages - many on this forum for example - completely omit proper grammar and punctuation from their sentences. You'll find no commas or periods, paragraphs of text that don't read properly. And those posters are adults. Don't go blaming teachers or kids, ignorance hasn't changed since you were young, it's just that the ignorant now have easier access to a louder soapbox (think Twitter)

People say technology is making the newer generations antisocial too, yet you'll find a photo of a 1920s bus stop with all 20 people buried in a newspaper.
Then again its just how language warps through the ages. I cant stand those movies of old times with that warped speak.
Mutate maybe a better term but that sounds bad. Is it?

Oh and my rant is. Not being highly educated and a pretty shit speller I try and then have to watch that auto correct doesn't **** it up when I actually spelled it right in the first place.

Yeah, point taken re teachers. They have a curriculum to follow. And as I said, I certainly don't blame the kids of the day. If they're not taught these things, how in hell are they expected to communicate properly.

Is it something to do with bloody heads stuck in iPhone conversations and writings?
U no wat I mean

Efficient use of language, both written and verbal, can convey precise thoughts without ambiguity or misunderstanding. It is a beautiful thing. (And a pox on Telstra for hijacking that phrase!)

On the other hand:

Oh and my rant is. Not being highly educated and a pretty shit speller I try and then have to watch that auto correct doesn't **** it up when I actually spelled it right in the first place.
Have you tried doing a search on Internet with the correct spelling and auto correct keeps changing had that problem with facebook and Google.

Some of us just aren't as eloquent and concise as others in our writing. As for grammar, those of us who haven't needed to apply it much tend to forget after 30 odd years of finishing school.

Edit- Clarity and grammar.

Last edited:
Back