Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another of life's little mysteries: At what point did the "scrum" in Rugby League become as useless as tits on a bull?

And depending on whether or not you are going to be the attacking or defendfing team, have a look next time and see what positions the players who are in the scrum actually play. Attacking....the number plays plays at look to make a dummy half play. Defending...you'll find backs in the scrum to allow forwards to take up the close in defensive positions.

Played prop myself for a local league team and few rep games here and there. Scrums were a contest back then. A strong forward pack and good hooker won quite a few scrums against the feed. Even had an agreement with a few opposite numbers that I'd do my best not to hurt them if they did there best to not push back. Sadly scrums are more of a ceremonial thing these days.

Though learning to do it right helps to not get injured, getting it wrong does help to get it right. For example- at training they'd use me for tackling practice when I was younger. As I was 6 foot 3 and 100+ kg at 14 yo the other blokes learned to tackle properly very quickly or they'd be steamrolled and it improved the team overall.

They could still set the scrums the same as they do now but be made to throw the ball straight through the middle so there's actually a contest for the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending their actions, just explaining them.

They don't care about competition over the ball though, that' not what scrums are for these days. With that in mind, a circle of cats holding hands would be just as appropriate!

Rugby Union don’t seem to have a problem, their scrums can be awesome and quite tactical. Cauliflower ears are also a thing of the past.

I coach a junior Rugby Union team, and played loosehead many years ago. Most of the boys watch League, as Union not often on free to air. First scrum practice on the scrum machine and the boys are telling me the scrum machine is broken and no good. Looked fine to me. Eventually they're telling me it's too low to the ground, scrums aren't packed that low. Lightbulb moment,
Took a few of them to a Reds game ( rare win too ), and they couldn't believe the scrums, and the noise on contact.

Just heard on the news that results of the SSM postal survey will be released tomorrow, with a breakdown by state, electoral boundary, age and sex.

Hands up all those naive fools who thought their vote was confidential!

Big brother - helllooooo!!!

Have you read 1984?
No, not 1984, nor Brave New World, nor Woman on the Edge of Time, nor The Handmaid's Tale, nor Fahrenheit 451. Neither have I read any of their counterparts, not Island (Huxley), nor The Dispossessed, Always Coming Home, The Republic, New Atlantis, nor Ecotopia. Why? Should people consider reading those to get some ideas from solid thinkers of what society could become?

Just heard on the news that results of the SSM postal survey will be released tomorrow, with a breakdown by state, electoral boundary, age and sex.

Unless they publicly name everyone who voted and what their individual vote was, it is still confidential. Besides, a lot of folks already made their votes known on social media etc. so it's a moot point in a lot of cases.

Haha my thought too. When it was not a compulsory vote I felt it seemed appropriate not to participate. Then I cant be hated yeah? Oh hang on there will be people who will still hate a non participant. :eek:
So you could be screwed by (your bar code) any way you chose, or chose not to vote....:rolleyes:

Probably sewn into your Census data too.

Last edited:

I’d suggest publishing some demographic statistics is a very long way from what was intended in that dystopic vision.

Definitely not suggesting there aren’t other reasonable parallels existing in our society but ‘87% of people under the age of 50 in Glenorchy , TAS voted ‘yes’’ is not one of them.

The above may answer what I think Mardoo is asking but I’m happy to be wrong.

Back