Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s fine when it’s still clear enough for communication. There’s a few whose use of written language is so awful, it rarely reads as anything other than gibberish.

One day, when I've had enough I'm gonna take someone's car door right off when they just swing it wide open in the street expecting cars to dart out of the way, feck'n'ell

One day, when I've had enough I'm gonna take someone's car door right off when they just swing it wide open in the street expecting cars to dart out of the way, feck'n'ell
Much more interesting on a motor bike and more common.:)

Always fun in a bus when idiots don't bother looking before flinging doors open. Nearly took off two in less than a minute one morning.

Yeah I commute to work on a pushy, I stay as left as I can obey all the traffic rules, and at least once a month someone tries to kill me with a car door, or they back out of an angle park without looking at all, hopefully they will all be hit by the karma bus, driven by rocker!

Along the same lines, whenever they report on crashes they always say "speed was a factor". Well no shit.

And they also love saying how alcohol was involved in (take your pick - say, 25%) of all crashes. Sounds bad, eh? But reverse that, and it becomes 75% were caused by people who were cold stoney sober! (Moral - is it safer to be pissed...)

In SA and would expect the same elsewhere, drugged up drivers are now the real issue. In a number of incidents moms have been booked for drug driving in the morning whilst dropping their kids off! Drivers on ice whom may beat the shit out of someone after running over them.

Another of life's little mysteries: At what point did the "scrum" in Rugby League become as useless as tits on a bull?

Another of life's little mysteries: At what point did the "scrum" in Rugby League become as useless as tits on a bull?
At least 20 years ago, I remember them being a waste of time in the 90s as well. No idea when they began throwing the ball into the second row though.

IT was in the 1990s when school kids started getting bad neck injuries from scrums. The prob was that people weren't being trained properly on how to bind etc and I think maybe even two died from broken necks or something. Then there was the issue that scrums were taking so much time as they were being collapsed by either side or being screwed etc.

Now they are supposed to be kept for two reasons. Firstly, to break up the play and allow players some rest in what can be very fast games - take the first half of the first state of origin this year. Absolutley crazy pace that didn't see a stoppage in play for around 30 mins until the ball was kicked into touch for the exct reason of stopping play. The second reason was to break up the 'one off the ruck and kick on the 6th' plays that had come to dominate the game. The idea was that the ball would go out to the backs in the first tackle and force different plays to occur. However most scrums replicate normal rucks as one player takes it up and take the tackle so it can go back to the forwards.

The ball doesn't actually go into the second row, it only has to go behind the hookers legs. So the loose head prop puts his outside leg back and his inside leg forward and the hooker has his legs outstretched and the ball just goes straight through.

I came very close to having my neck broken in a rugby scrum myself. I grew up playing league and played rugby in the army. I was thrown into tight head prop and no one taught me how to bind properly so I engaged with a bent back. The second rowers were pushing up from under my bum and the opposition front rowers where pushing down on my neck. My feet were lifted off the ground and my chin was pushed into my chest so I coulnd't breathe or scream. I felt the vertibrae in my neck and upper back separate as my spine was folded and it was the one time in my life where I truly thought I was going to die. I've had parachutes malfunction, I've been trapped on rock ledges with only fingers and toes holding on, I've been trapped under water, I've been in combat zones, etc. etc. I've never been so scared as I was in that scrum. The ball came out, I dropped to the ground, stood up, neck was ok and I learned to go into scrums with a straight back and with my chin up.

Cool stories!

They could still set the scrums the same as they do now but be made to throw the ball straight through the middle so there's actually a contest for the ball.

Now they are supposed to be kept for two reasons. Firstly, to break up the play and allow players some rest in what can be very fast games...

Suggestion - instead of the charade of a "scrum", why not just get the eleven players (5 attackers, 6 defenders) to hold hands in a circle (wouldn't that be fun to watch), and just hand the ball to the 6th guy who's standing behind his other 5 team-mates?

A farce? No worse than now!

Latest posts

Back