conditioning in a secondary fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzagahan

Reaction score
hi all

i've just picked up a 25 litre container from Bunnings so that i can infuse a stout wort with cocoa nibs for 10 days or so. i've got 20 lires of stout wort and I plan to use cling film on the container opening.

my question is: will the remaining 5 litres of space above the wort in the container be a problem oxygen wise, or is there enough carbon dioxide being produced to push the air out?

thanks for your advice.

cheers
gaz

I been doing that for quite a few brews now. When you transfer the beer put the screw cap on the secondary container just tight, then give the vessel a little swirl, some of the CO2 will liberate from the brew and it will purge itself. Then screw the cap up tight and it should be fine. You can crack it everyday to make sure theres not too much pressure but I find it just seeps out anyway cause gas is pretty sneaky.

Is the wort already fermented and how long do you plan to infuse for

Why use a secondary? Just pop them in the primary once fermentation is just about finished. Similar to what you would with dry hopping.

JD

luggy said:
Is the wort already fermented and how long do you plan to infuse for
Hi luggy, i pitched the yeast yesterday and was planning to transfer to the secondary vessel once primary fermentation is complete. re the infusion, i'm flying blind. i had though that 10 days should be long enough, but very happy to take any suggestions.

cheers

JDW81 said:
Why use a secondary? Just pop them in the primary once fermentation is just about finished. Similar to what you would with dry hopping.

JD
cheers JD

This is the first time i've considered using a secondary (only 6 brews under the belt). i was concerned that the extra time in the primary with the trub would mess up the flavours, particularly as i want quite a subtle chocolate aroma. do you think this is an issue?

gaz

IMHO there are few few reasons to use a secondary, and for a new brewer there is virtually no reason to use one.

I won't go into the risk v benefit here due to time, and plenty of other threads devoted to it.

My advice is to wait until you are about 2-4 points of your expected FG (use your hydrometer, and don't use airlock bubbling as a sign of fermentation) then chuck your nibs straight into the primary. Leave them there for about 2-3 days and have a taste, if the flavour is strong enough then package, if not leave for another day or two and repeat.

You don't want to put them in too early as if you do the yeast that falls out of suspension will cover them over and you won't extract the flavour from them (same principle as dry hopping). It might be worthwhile to give them a toast as well to help draw out some of the oils. Do a search and you're bound to find plenty of brewers who've done it to give you an idea. Other reason to toast is to kill off any potential bugs that may be lurking on them.

You shouldn't have any dramas with them in the trub, there won't be any funky reactions going on there.

Make sure you report how you get along!!

JD

thanks for the advice, gentlemen. i think i'll find another use for my new Bunnings 25 litre shed filler and add the nibs to the primary.

I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks again
gaz

luggy said:
I reckon you should fill it with beer
Absolutely. You can never have too many fermenters on the go.

another fermenter....sounds like a fine plan.

can i pick your brains on a kind of related point? i've added a kilo of LME and 250g of maltodextrin to a Mangrove Jack's stout with the OG reading 1052.
How much of an effect will the maltodextrin have on my specific gravity readings? if there is a significant effect, is there a rule of thumb for adjusting the expected FG?

thanks again
gaz

get hold of Ians spreadsheet, it should be pinned in the kit forum.
Put your numbers in there, its very accurate.

on day 8, threw in 75g of cocoa nibs that had been infused in 200mls of Jameson's Irish whiskey for 7 days.
Lahn's spreadsheet suggested a target FG of 1016. my FG settled at 1018.
bottled after 21 days in fermenter.
at bottling, smooth 'stoutish' taste but no noticeable chocolate tones.
possibly a bit conservative with the cocao nibs.

Back