Concept Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a summer ale made by pitching lager and ale yeasts? The main premise is having a mostly clean fermentation profile, but with some fruity esters.
ive got a summer ale fermenting but with saison yeast. was going to have cal common but got a wild yeast infection so i chucked in the saison to compete with it. its smelling great suprisingly.

I'm trying to expand on the aussie wheat beer that tony first posted up. As soon as I saw it I thought that it would be wicked and just had to make my own variation of it.

70% wheat
30% pilsner malt

Galaxy for bittering
Galaxy, D saaz for flavour
D saaz and NS for aroma

30IBU
1.048 OG

1272 for the yeast

Should be a refreshing pale beer with a good head, passionfruit and tangerine flavour in addition to a peach and citrus nose.

Cheers
Phil

My wife is a teacher and an academic, we attend a fair share of wine geek loaded events... At one particular event one said geek was prattling on about dessert wines, and how beer was uncuth and incultured and short in variety...

Interesting,
That is more or less my view of wine.

I can't think of a more versatile beverage than beer

Josh

I've brewed some weird things in my day....

- A weird stout-weizen hybrid made with malted wheat, roasted barley, and fermented with wyeast 3068.
- My now infamous HeatSikher coconut curry brown ale.
- Something I called an eis-wee-heavy. I brewed a wee heavy and froze distilled it like an eisbock and ended up with a 24% abv "beer". It's not a misprint - twenty four percent.
- I'm planning to brew an alt but use american "C" hops mixed with noble European hops. Not that out there but different.

There are others but these are the ones that immediately leapt to mind.

Hopper, a fair while ago i was going through some recipes here http://www.tinkletots.net/kevnlis/beer%20recipes.pdf, page 467 has a recipe for pumkin ale, it's extract but it wouldn't be hard to convert. There's also a few other pumkin recipes, like a wheatie. Never been a pumkin man myself though

Cool I'll check it out. These sorts of beers tend to get very mixed reviews in the US (some like, others despise). But with the lack of anything here locally to try, figured I'd brew my own to see how it goes.

Hopper.

Well the Gonzo is American hopped... It has more the roasty and dark fruit character of an imperial stout, but its bittered with warrior, has flavour additions of NB and Cascade, and a lot of cascade late. It sounds funny, but it really works IMO... Either way would be worth a shot I reckon..

Cool schooey,

I think this is more what im after though: http://www.stonebrew.com/sublimely/

Its black, its got a faceful of hops, you know its got dark malts in it from the colour, you can taste them, but it does not in any way detract from the qualities of an IPA.

I think the key may be the whole idea i have with carafa (for smoothnes and colour) and a pinch of roast barley to give the mild impression of uber dark malts and the push the colour over the edge. The small amount of roast may give that smoky quality that everyone seems to rave about with their reviews of said beer.

Hopefully the carafa mailny bulks up the nuttiness of the malt and there is enough backbone there to support the hops.

It will either be a complete success or an utter failure. Either way it will be full of US hops so im sure i will consume it quickly.

Cool schooey,

Its black, its got a faceful of hops, you know its got dark malts in it from the colour, you can taste them, but it does not in any way detract from the qualities of an IPA.

I think the key may be the whole idea i have with carafa (for smoothnes and colour) and a pinch of roast barley to give the mild impression of uber dark malts and the push the colour over the edge. The small amount of roast may give that smoky quality that everyone seems to rave about with their reviews of said beer.

Hopefully the carafa mailny bulks up the nuttiness of the malt and there is enough backbone there to support the hops.

It will either be a complete success or an utter failure. Either way it will be full of US hops so im sure i will consume it quickly.
if you want a dark ipa, i reckon you need to chuck some crystal in to get that pale ale type sweetness. nothing wrong with your original grainbill, just think if you want a dark ipa, you'd be better to start out with an IPA recipe and add your dark malts to it rather than starting with a dark lager and trying to make it into an ale....

I've brewed some weird things in my day....

- A weird stout-weizen hybrid made with malted wheat, roasted barley, and fermented with wyeast 3068.
- My now infamous HeatSikher coconut curry brown ale.
- Something I called an eis-wee-heavy. I brewed a wee heavy and froze distilled it like an eisbock and ended up with a 24% abv "beer". It's not a misprint - twenty four percent.
- I'm planning to brew an alt but use american "C" hops mixed with noble European hops. Not that out there but different.

There are others but these are the ones that immediately leapt to mind.

Jeez, that must have been the epitome of thick and heavy. How did it turn out? Did you re carb it after eising it or just have it more like a beer port? Eisbock and other eis beers are my idea of mega dessert beers ( along with wee heavies and RIS).

I was throwing around a couple of different ideas a few months back. One was an "eiscream ale", basically an ultra light cream ale freeze concentrated to hopefully add a fair amount of sweetness and richness to the brew, and an apple pie wheat beer (Got the inspiration from Brewing classic styles, when JZ talked about apricot pie and american wheatbeers). Thinking of making the wheatbeer soon for summer, gotta get some decent unmalted wheat though.

Read about some fairly weird beers in beer and brewer lately, had a peice in the "hall of fame" about a pair of brewers who made a flanders red with rosewater, skimmed almond milk and other odd ingredients, plus the usual wild yeasts/infections required for the style. Solid stuff.

Cheers,

Mr.Moonshine

I must admit i drink a lot of wine with food as my partner and i love our wine - our last holiday was to the Coonawarra. Not much to do down there but :icon_drunk: We have a line in our budget for wine purchases!

Was lucky enough to be able to taste Ross' crazy 170+IBU 1.9% abv mild in the shop a week or so ago.

When i saw it posted in the WAYB thread i shook my head thinking 'you crazy bloody pom'. :lol:

After tasting it i now have it on my brew list but am already thinking of how to tweak it. Maybe munich as the base malt, ringwood yeast for low attenuation........ Even my non-brewing mates that joined me at the shop thought it was a tasty drop.

I am a very boring brewer by comparison! :(

Yeah ok, I'm more on your track now... Not sure if a Schwartz style will have the maltiness to back up a lot of American hops and I agree with Croz's comment re; the Crystal... I think you want something more like a strong dark ale and then hop the bejesus out of it with American Hops... :icon_drool2:

*sigh* One more thing for the to do list.... Swaps?

Try Wyeast 2112 (?) Cal Common, this is a lager style strain that operates up nearer to ale temps.

A while ago i was thinking about a Black Forrest Porter, then i saw a recipe for something pretty close to it at the back of JZ's Brewing Classic Styles. Will possbily give this a run leading into winter.

Cheers SJ

Care to share te recipe mate?

Yeah ok, I'm more on your track now... Not sure if a Schwartz style will have the maltiness to back up a lot of American hops and I agree with Croz's comment re; the Crystal... I think you want something more like a strong dark ale and then hop the bejesus out of it with American Hops... :icon_drool2:
*sigh* One more thing for the to do list.... Swaps?

Yeah that was another idea too, just start with an IPA THEN add the dark malt. I am interested how Vinnie from Russian River (i think it was him) thinks crystal malt doesn't have a place in an IPA. He simply trades this off the no crystal factor with carapils for dextrins and mouthfeel. He thinks the hops need to be the forefront and the crystal just detracts from their qualities. Basically i was taking this into account and is what my plan incorporates. I can always up this to 10% carapils so its got some more body and a slightly higher FG. Also why i had the melanoiden there, give the malt a little ooomph on the nose but not detracting with caramel sweetness.

There are plenty of ways to skin the cat on this one. I just dont want it to be porter like and i think keeping away from the crystal malt might be a good thing. Hmmm. ill nut it out for a little while longer. ;)

Yeah that was another idea too, just start with an IPA THEN add the dark malt. I am interested how Vinnie from Russian River (i think it was him) thinks crystal malt doesn't have a place in an IPA. He simply trades this off the no crystal factor with carapils for dextrins and mouthfeel. He thinks the hops need to be the forefront and the crystal just detracts from their qualities. Basically i was taking this into account and is what my plan incorporates. I can always up this to 10% carapils so its got some more body and a slightly higher FG. Also why i had the melanoiden there, give the malt a little ooomph on the nose but not detracting with caramel sweetness.

There are plenty of ways to skin the cat on this one. I just dont want it to be porter like and i think keeping away from the crystal malt might be a good thing. Hmmm. ill nut it out for a little while longer. ;)

Why restrict yourself to 1? Why not make 2, one with crystal ie an IPA "with added darkness" (TM / copyright crozdog :p ) & a schwartz with added hoppiness?

avoid brown malt out if you don't want it to be porter like.

Don't mind the sound of that apple-pie wheat beer, Mr.Moonshine.

I'm thinking of doing my 11% apple champers, plus a Schwartzbier hopped up with Nelson Sauvin and perhaps some sort of Bitter with a decent addition of Amber, Wheat, and perhaps oats. I want to see if I can get a creamy-biscuity thing going on.

Cheers guys, awesome thread - boingk

I'm all into doing weird shit beers at the moment.
Stuff that make the Rhubarb ones just look pedestrian.

At the weekend I brewed one which I'm calling "Summer in a Glass". A mix of styles somewhere between a Wit, Berliner Weisse and English Summer Ale.

Now researching Lichtenhainer and Grodziskie (Grtzer). Think smoked sour beers.

Doc

Why restrict yourself to 1? Why not make 2, one with crystal ie an IPA "with added darkness" (TM / copyright crozdog :p ) & a schwartz with added hoppiness?

avoid brown malt out if you don't want it to be porter like.

All in good time. i dont want 40L of black hoppy beer when the hot days are coming around soon. especially if they end up porter like! :ph34r:

I've had that beer and it is a mindbender.
Bascially a big American IPA that is black. The carafa does not instill any roasted, nutty or choc flavours. Just colour.

I was inspired by it, and brewed one myself. Bascially took my APA recipe and added some Carafa III near the end of the mash. Enough to give it colour.
It is tasting awesome.
Next batch gets some Rauch Malt just to give it another twist.

Beers,
Doc

You're probably all going to laugh..

Yes I am going to laugh...............

one said geek was prattling on about dessert wines, and how beer was uncuth and incultured and short in variety...

At this tit^

I had a milk stout I made a while back recently described to me as being like a chocolate dessert and beers like Rochefort 10 are like a plum pudding so why the hell not?

Another beer i want to try making is a Honey Basil ale.

I started to work on my Belgian Rye Dubbel recipe tonight.

THinking pils base, 25% Rye malt, 15% dark wheat malt and a bottle of D2 candy syrip.

1.068, 22 IBU, 28 EBC. 3787.

MMmmmmmmm.

Love some of the ideas above...... a blask IPA with lats added roast.......... what a great idea.

cheers

Back