Computer Experts - Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
I run a Lenovo laptop which is great, and the wife runs a Dell Inspiron 1525 which we have had no end of problems with over the past 12 months. The Dell service guys up this way know us well given the amount of 'blue screens' that the Dell has had over the past 12 months. It has had new motherboards, hard drives, RAM, everything. It is a real lemon since we have owned other Dell's in the past which have been great - hence we went with another for her.

Since its last repair it has been running well (finally). But last night the gremlins returned. It keeps rebooting itself but Windows now will not start. We have tried the recovery disk but still the same problem. It tries to start, before a very quick blue screen (which we can't read what it says) before going to a screen which asks whether we want to start Windows in safe, normal, etc. Whatever mode we try, we get the same result, back to the Windows mode menu. We have run a full day of diagnostic stuff as it was always the first thing Dell asked us to do. Keeps saying nothing is wrong.

Given the problems in the past we have everything backed up on an external hard drive. Does anyone have any tips to get Windows going? It is Vista which I think is crap, but the Vista I run on my Lenovo never misses a beat. How can we wipe the drive and start again if Windows won't load?

Hi Duff

If you have files on the machine, get a copy of BartPE, boot the machine from that and copy the files to a flash drive. There are fairly good instructions about building a BartPE CD.

I would then try and install windows again.

Cheers
Pedro

Well if all your files are backed up already, the easiest thing to do would be format and re-install windows. Some times Operating systems can get screwed up by a simple knock to the hard drive. (in this case the laptop)

Keep all you backed up files away from the Laptop, insert the windows disk and press on.
Now u need to hit F12 like there is no tomorrow untill the boot menu comes up, then you use the keyboard to scroll to cd/dvd drive or something like that.
Once you sucessfully do this, you can then format your HDD (hard disk drive) and do a new install of windows, then put your old files back onto the computer.
Very simple. It will take a long time to do as installing operating systems take a while, so if u get a blank screen for a while don't worry.
Also when you get to the menu which asks [custom] or [upgrade] choose custom, when you get to the menu with the HDDs listed, click advanced at the bottom and choose Format, then continue process.
Good luck, ill keep an eye on this thread for you.

Jump into CMOS and configure the 1st boot device as CD/DVD, put in the Windows install CD and reboot.

If you have files you need to keep then things are more complicated. Easiest method for me is to run Knoppix or Ubuntu from a CD , then mount the hard drive in question, copy the data you need to a USB HD... then reinstall Windows and reformat the whole drive.

Personally I'd run XP SP3 rather than Vista.

BartPE will be too complicated for him

Mate I would just demand to dell that they give you a replacement, not a repair. Obviously repairing it is not fixing the root issue and you can argue they are wasting their own money by simply not replacing it. They've already caused you enough trouble. Tell them you have sensetive files on the drive and you need them to burn to disks or something. It's under warantee if they're still repairing it, so don't attempt to remove the drifve and put in another machine to copy the files off -they'll void the warantee for this.

I run a Dell 1525 and frequently after it is put to sleep, it decides to crank up again of it's own volition, lid closed or not. I could have cooked toast on it the other day, so now I just leave it open so it doesnt burn the house down.

Must try to restrain myslef and NOT mention Linux..... :ph34r:

Mate I would just demand to dell that they give you a replacement, not a repair. Obviously repairing it is not fixing the root issue and you can argue they are wasting their own money by simply not replacing it. They've already caused you enough trouble. Tell them you have sensetive files on the drive and you need them to burn to disks or something. It's under warantee if they're still repairing it, so don't attempt to remove the drifve and put in another machine to copy the files off -they'll void the warantee for this.

Exactly. I had friends in the same situation. Every time they called Dell, Dell would talk them into repairing it. In the end I told them to demand a replacement, which they did. No problems since. Your time is worth something, so tell them you've had enough and want a replacement machine.

Yeah there is something wrong with your computer. Usually wiping the computer clean of the OS and installing it all again should help you. You may have falutly components even that havent been replaced or a few dry joints somewhere.

If you can't get the recovery disk working (and you're sure it's trying to boot of said disk) I'd say there's some sort of hardware problem that's causing it to die. I don't know what diagnostics stuff actually does, but I wouldn't believe it :p Send it back would be your best bet IMO.

Sounds like a hardrive problem if you are living very close to the beach then salt air and humidity may cause all kinds of problems. I have first hand experience 2 x desktop computers, 2x TV sets, 1x Kef Subwoofer diagnosed fault salt corrosion.

Back on topic try a repair reinstallation of Vista first from here with a video. Top Windows tutorials.

After that there are free hard drive diagnostic tools some do not need an Operating System to work.Hard drive diagnostics FREE

Also recommend you partition the hard drive to keep Windows in a separate partition.
What I do with all single hard drive computers I own is C:/ operating system (15Gb for XP)
D:/ DVD/Cd drive, E:/ programmes ( 10Gig should be ample) F:/ Data ( My docs, music, videos etc).
You have to tell Windows where your My Documents folder is stored.
There are free partitioning software available from the web or trial versions.

Then if you have a major Windows crash if you have to reformat and reinstall Windows your data and progs are not affected.

Good luck Computers are only here to try our patience, keep away from Apple owners and the Linux Geeks :lol:

BTW I have run a Dell Laptop for years in harsh conditions desert sand and 50C temps and the only thing that quit was the dvd drive which was very expensive to replace compared to a drive for a desktop.
Also if you use Bit Torrent you can still find XP around Ha Ha me hearties :blink:

We've had a lot of issues with newer dell notebooks here. The expensive Lattitude business jobbies too. Out of a batch of 40 odd we would have had hardware issues with at least 20 of them. I used to recommend Dell to people but not any more.

I'd be asking for a replacement. I've had some that they have swapped every swapable component on and it still fails.

Apparently Asus now gets top marks for reliability in the various reliability surveys.

Cheers
Dave

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dell have refused to replace it. My wife spent all day today reloading everything after she managed to get the Windows disc to wipe the drive. This is the 4th or 5th time now. Unfortunately the warranty has expired a few days ago.

We'll never buy another Dell again. Beware.

Consumer affairs / fair trading / ACCC might get you further.

If you warranty has only expired a few days ago they still should replace it. Something to do with implied care or some such. IE a computer with a 12 month warranty shouldn't shit itself after 12.5 months. Seeing as you've had continued trouble with the machine and now Dell are leaving you in the dark I'm sure the above mentioned authorities would be interested to know why Dell arent looking after you properly.

I recently had an Electrolux dishwasher crap out. Electrolux fixed the problem but it showed it head again. Electrolux replaced (and upgraded) the unit at no charge and restarted the warranty period! I dont understand why Dell shouldnt do/have done the same!

Consumer affairs / fair trading / ACCC might get you further.

If you warranty has only expired a few days ago they still should replace it. Something to do with implied care or some such. IE a computer with a 12 month warranty shouldn't shit itself after 12.5 months. Seeing as you've had continued trouble with the machine and now Dell are leaving you in the dark I'm sure the above mentioned authorities would be interested to know why Dell arent looking after you properly.

Yep. If it has been under constant repair for the warranty period, the warranty expiring doesn't let them off the hook. Its a continuation of a problem reported under warranty. The can't just wash their hands of it and stop trying to fix it as soon as the warranty period is up.

Cheers
Dave

Also afaik most companies have policies where they are unable to hangup on a customer unless the customer becomes quite apprehensive. If they say they can't replace the laptop, ask to speak to someone who can authorise a replacement. If they say nobody can, suggest the CEO might be able to do so - ask to be put through to him (rediculous request, but do it anyways. most people will not give you your first choice but usually your second as it seems more reasonable - so ask for CEO, they'll say no, and then back down and ask to speak to a senior rep/manager from replacements dept etc.)

Also, there's no point asking to speak to a manager first up most of the time, most often when you do, the service tech just transfers the call to his mate and gives them the heads up (whingey customer) - just keep asking to speak to someone who can authorise a replacement, and continually do so until they run out of people in that team and are forced to put you through to a senior.

Also have pen and paper handy, and every time you get transferred, alert the individual that for legal purposes you are required to record this telephone call and if they have a problem with it, to tell you. (this usually throws them off guard, because 99% of the time you are bound by this policy by the company, throw it back at them and they will get confused any pay attention, and additionally will begin to think it is a serious affair).

Make sure to ask for their name and telephone extension or employee registration number so you can avoid duplicate discussions and passing the buck within a call center team. Plus, asking for thier details, again, will make them more wary that you mean business and their comments to you may come back to bite them.

Being a pain in the ass (respectably), and throwing their policies back at them usually works for me.

Duff, it is your right as a consumer to ask for your money back, you were sold a product that is clearly defective and the law is on your side, get tough with them mate and see how they crumble.

cheers

Browndog

Back to original post 'Blue Screens' is more likely to be firstly software or secondary Hardrive or Ram..
If you have a virus then do not expect any warranty claim to be honoured.

Blue screen of death are normally 95% due to a software problem i.e. virus, or bad sectors on hard drive if unable to restart after the crash.

Also recommend you partition the hard drive to keep Windows in a separate partition.
What I do with all single hard drive computers I own is C:/ operating system (15Gb for XP)
D:/ DVD/Cd drive, E:/ programmes ( 10Gig should be ample) F:/ Data ( My docs, music, videos etc).

Then if you have a major Windows crash if you have to reformat and reinstall Windows your data and progs are not affected.

Have you done a Windows reinstall and it worked? I'm a big advocate of havig a separate data partition to make backups and reinstalls easier, but I always assumed that programs wouldn't work, as you wipe the registry settings when you reintall the OS?

If you have a virus then do not expect any warranty claim to be honoured.

Blue screen of death are normally 95% due to a software problem i.e. virus, or bad sectors on hard drive if unable to restart after the crash.
While I'm not questioning your reasoning, Dell have replaced hardware on several occasions. They wouldn't be doing this if the problem were between the keyboard and the seat.
Have you done a Windows reinstall and it worked? I'm a big advocate of havig a separate data partition to make backups and reinstalls easier, but I always assumed that programs wouldn't work, as you wipe the registry settings when you reintall the OS?
I have my programs and windows on separate partitions and there is a program for which I regularly delete the registry entry (uh, no particular reason why...) and I don't have to re-install nor do I even have to re-configure my preferences in the program.

Latest posts

Back