COMPETITION: Super High Gravity Brewing 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't a big part of it seeing where yeast can get to?

So regardless of dex % , for example, adjunct/sugar is only going to add so much anyway.

Is the point of this to just achieve stellar ABV through manipulation of fermentation/technique, or a well-balanced beer of high ABV? Seems the former to me. Besides, who wants to drink a beer of that scale? One mouthful & you're done.

Seems like a bit of a wanking contest: "My ABV is bigger than yours..."

Doesn't need to be a wank and anyone that thinks one mouthful ends the relationship has obviously never met glenfarclas.

Rule 13 oral and wank explorers.

This must ultimately be a beer.

A screaming mess of Dex inspired hooch doesn't satisfy, no matter what your investigations into penile comparisons may be.

Dex is in play, but this is beer. I'm asking what a limit on ingredient percentage is right for this.

Edit: I've totally enjoyed my four pints of pale ale so far. The above is said with plenty of jovial gusto and smiles.

[emoji135]‍♂️[emoji134]‍♂️[emoji136]‍♂️[emoji137]‍♂️

X O R L???

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1475926860.254851.jpg

This category of brewing is a real thing. This competition will test the skills of its participants. It is a very cool endeavour.

It is chemistry; it is biology; it is firmly within the pursuit of brewing excellence.

Help us derive the rules for a good, fair and interesting game.

I think a restriction on yeast strain makes more sense than a restriction on sugar type.

I'd knock eis-ing out and just see purely what can be done with fermentation.

Would you be able to analyse if one of the brewers exceeded a 20% dextrose limit. Serious question - if bragging rights are the only outcome to shoot for how can you guarantee that there is not a Lance Armstrong in the race? Sorry if its a dumb question.

manticle said:
I think a restriction on yeast strain makes more sense than a restriction on sugar type.

I'd knock eis-ing out and just see purely what can be done with fermentation.
I think rule 6 has that covered. If I need to understand it better and update the rule let me know.

What sort of yeast restrictions?

Grainer said:
Tedious but read it.. to give you an idea the receipe I am working on over the last 4-5 months is a 28% All grain without Eisbock etc.. it is all about yeast health and vitality/resurrection. Im not sure if I will be able to get beyond this so this is my target 27-28%ABV.
So I'm going to beat,...errrr..... get close to that score.

Maybe[emoji53]

Beer and wine yeast allowed, skip turbo yeast.

Although now I'm not convinced. Let me sleep on it.

Yes rule six (There is NOOO Rule six) covers it. Just it was mentioned by bribie and I think someone else so I got confused.

LAGERFRENZY said:
Would you be able to analyse if one of the brewers exceeded a 20% dextrose limit. Serious question - if bragging rights are the only outcome to shoot for how can you guarantee that there is not a Lance Armstrong in the race? Sorry if its a dumb question.
So there is that point on quality again, a reoccurring theme in these healthy challenging questions.

I expect that some beers will be ripe after a year, maybe even fresher as per Yob's example. Grainer mentioned 3.

I don't know how to write a rule that imparts a requirement to brew a beer that is aimed to be a 'beer of exceptional quality'.

I kind of planned that participants would organically go for that.

So what if I put up, say, $100 prize money and sponsored this. The ingredients, time, planning, fermentor allocation, dedicated temp control, process expenses, labour, documenting... etc. involved by a participant would quickly render $100 worthless.

It is my view that the intrinsic motivation of people will make them participate. And consequently there will be an effort to produce a damn fine product.

A Lance Armstrong in this game would make a ethanol rich liquid without regard for Rule 13.

I don't think rice, corn, oats and other starch based adjuncts need to be limited. They don't stray to far from the norm.

manticle said:
Beer by definition is malt derived sugars fermented with yeast. I think there needs to be a certain amount of malt in there to fit the definition of beer. Yeast strain isn't in the definition of beer. Distilling, wine, ale and bread yeasts are essentially the same organism but bred/evolved to suit different situations. While turbo yeast does seem like cheating it is still yeast and not really all that different from any other ale yeast. A ballerina is very different from a body builder but they are both humans at the end of the day.

As I mentioned when I edited my comment, maybe there should be a mimimum amount of malt derived fermentables by gravity as opposed to max percentage of adjunct sugars. It would be a shame to have to stop feeding simple sugars to the ferment just to stay within a specific malt to simple sugar ratio if you've already 1.140 gravity points of malt. Having a beer that is 90% dextrose isn't really in the spirit of the comp in my opinion even if it does use typical beer yeasts.

No my question was purely about how you might analyse the amount of dext used in a brew not a slag on the Quality vs ABV thing and I apologised if it was a dumb question. Guess that I will never know...

But **** it, I'll put $100 towards the winner of the 2017 competition.... if it works out better

LAGERFRENZY said:
No my question was purely about how you might analyse the amount of dext used in a brew not a slag on the Quality vs ABV thing and I apologised if it was a dumb question. Guess that I will never know...
Sorry, trying to answer more directly. A Dex only (majorly) brew may have a much lower FG than expected from a malt based version.

Unless the yeast perish from the alcohol leaving unfermented sugar. Not sure after that.

thanks - i'll butt out of this high-stakes thread now as I have ginger beer to bottle tomorrow and I need to be at my best for that effort and to cheer my buddy on the next day.

Back