COMPETITION: Super High Gravity Brewing 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477021482.956737.jpg

We're into active fermentation already.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477021679.626413.jpg

Nice and snug, candy and CSR on standby

Set for 18.1,

Currently at 21.2

Edit: got distracted and added all the wort.

This is a practice run anyway.

Estimated ABV if I satisfy rule 3 will be 20.08% which will qualify.

I'm tempted to add sugar before max attenuation is reached from the malt sugars.

Forgot to note that I have a large cake of US05 in the other glass fermenter and it will be complete in 5 days[emoji16].

That will be my first backup cake. The second will be 099 again having taken on another stout.

Not needed, I happen to have them and they are cool for seeing the action. My third fermenter is a plastic bucket.

I think malt junky is right, this could take a few stages.

malt junkie said:
You mean a few carboys, I think there'll be several rackings before it's done.
I have this hunch to maintain fermentation momentum. Like how it is much harder to start from stop when on the hill then to just pedal harder to avoid the stall.

Does this apply to yeast in any way? Should I rack a fermenting brew onto a new cake or wait for activity to slow so I'm maximising the potential of the current yeast?

Appreciate any comments.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Your musical knowledge is unsurpassed Mardoo

This is HANCLAP

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bH3DwqQvf4U

Fermentation theme music if ever there was!

**** yeah

So I tried to give Mardoo's HANCLAP a full listen to....

Now, my wife is a classically trained musician, has a degree in music from the Conservatorium Of Music, and has made a career as a professional music teacher: she was with me for the first 120 seconds and then she started, like, convulsing in stitches of hysteria. I asked her what grade of student would make a song better than that and she said grade 11.

That's it for HANCLAP for now.

I'm left disappointed. [emoji85][emoji445]

Mardoo said:
I would say wait to see it slowing - absolutely not stopping - and then pitch onto cake
Cheers, I hope I haven't got the timings wrong with the US05 cake then.

:icon_offtopic: Actually I misspelled handclap. I can't remember whether it was a sample in a Meat Beat Manifesto song, Tackhead Sound System, or a random trip-hop song from the early 90's. I fully disavow both the linked abomination (sorry) and any aspirations towards immense musical knowledge. When you're 50, and have listened to whatever interested you since about age 6, you end up with a pretty open musical mind. Hell, I even like Korn now that I know Yob ;)

Back on topic, if I were switching yeasts from initial ferment to cake, then I believe I would pitch onto the cake earlier, to avoid any potential negative effects from the yeast colonies trying to dominate each other. However, that's just thinking, and I've never actually experimented with it, so caveat emptor.

You want to try and keep them active mate, letting them start to finish up and wind down then feeding them again will make them grumpy, the longer you can keep them active the better then switch to cakes when you've maxed them out, at the upper limits of alcohol tolerance you can expect (in my experience) 8-10 points per cake hit..

YMMV

Back