COMPETITION: Super High Gravity Brewing 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah ok. That's almost helpful.

I'll review pitch rates against OG and wort volume.

If anyone has had direct experience with 099 then by all means let me know what you think of it and how it behaved for your higher gravity worts.

I've experienced 099 chugging along slowly after about 10%abv. I've only taken it up to 15% abv though. It may do just a little bit for a week or so, and then 2 weeks later it's chewed off 25 more points. Occasional agitation helps, but no need at all to do constant agitation.

Mardoo said:
I've experienced 099 chugging along slowly after about 10%abv. I've only taken it up to 15% abv though. It may do just a little bit for a week or so, and then 2 weeks later it's chewed off 25 more points. Occasional agitation helps, but no need at all to do constant agitation.
One of the plan variants I have is to add belgian candi sugar and see if it responds. That may help indicate if the yeast are fine and that the fermentable malt sugars have run out.

What about this idea?

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I'm skipping the ginger beer for now lagerfrenzy and kerr. This game has my attention and effort for now.

Cosdog.
Don't do ginger beer for me or kerr - just do it for your kids. Takes 5 minutes to set up the plant and the kids can feed it each day for you. Multitask Cosdog!

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
In commercial practice pitch rate is typically around 106 cells / ml / oP.
Alright, it is time I learnt to speak MHB and LC properly on this.

Why is the standard house terms for OG and FG units 10XX when you lads run with oP. What's the conversion; why use this instead; what's the easy thinking to convert between systems..?

zorsoc_cosdog said:
So about 7.48x10^11 cells.

Each white labs packet contains at least 75 billion or 7.5 x 10^10 cells

so I need 10 times the vial. My starter created

using http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

I had 500g of dme in my starter. but I also used 200g of white sugar. In any case, I think I have under pitched by 25-35%.

Excellent lesson learnt.
Well, 5 pints of 7% Helles Bock might be to blame... but I have a correction: I racked the wort onto a couple of kilograms of English ale yeast in addition to the 099.

It would have been an over pitch.

Pitch rates don't take into account the hostile environs of super high ABV, and there be the challenge. I wait to see when you bottom out and need enzimes to breakdown the remaining sugars.

malt junkie said:
Pitch rates don't take into account the hostile environs of super high ABV, and there be the challenge. I wait to see when you bottom out and need enzimes to breakdown the remaining sugars.
I'm getting them tonight and will add to the fermenter.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Why do you prefer Plato ?
I think in terms of oP, if someone uses SG I have to convert back to Plato to know what they are talking about. I came into brewing from winemaking and was trained by European brewers, we all worked in oP.

I must admit that it was also taken as something that marked one as a professional, like pronouncing "lauter" and "trub" in German.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477913589.505509.jpg

11 capsules of, dissolved into some warm water; good sanitation practiced.

Yeast slowed right down last night. Probably could have added enzyme a couple of days ago.

In Czech Republic, most beers are referred to by the name of the brewery and the OG in degrees Plato. You'll often find people who prefer an afternoon session of 10oP beer from one brewery and switch to 12oP beer from a different brewery with dinner and into the night.

Using degrees Plato is as natural there for consumers as it is for professionals. "Mow the lawn and have a couple of Budvar 10's, then get stuck into roast duck with Pilsen 12's."

I like it but a westvleteren 12 aint 12 plato rochefort 10 aint 10 plato either. Makes those europeans a very confusing bunch.

The enzyme I have say to pitch while pitching yeast, it's something to do with not changing them back to simple sugars after they've gotten stuck into the complex sugars, possibly not an issue if you're swapping onto fresh yeast.. Dunno, not incredibly versed on enzyme use

Yob said:
The enzyme I have say to pitch while pitching yeast, it's something to do with not changing them back to simple sugars after they've gotten stuck into the complex sugars, possibly not an issue if you're swapping onto fresh yeast.. Dunno, not incredibly versed on enzyme use
It's called catabolite repression: when glucose is above a certain level (about 10 g/l IIRC) the yeast shuts down the transport mechanisms for other sugars. When the glucose runs out there will be another lag phase as it turns them back on.

Latest posts

Back