COMPETITION: Super High Gravity Brewing 2017

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should I oxygenate again having added enzyme to my original yeasts?

If the yeast is lagging adding some extra oxygen can often help. I am not certain what will happen in your situation, never having done things in this order before.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
If the yeast is lagging adding some extra oxygen can often help. I am not certain what will happen in your situation, never having done things in this order before.
Professional polite speak for

You_re_Doing-it-wrong_.jpg

Well, there is some fermentation happening tonight. Very slow still but an increase nonetheless. I roused up the yeast and a lovely cloud of CO2 was released. I'm still considering that I need to keep the yeast in suspension. I dropped a sanitised stir bar into the fermenter in the hope my home made stir plate could grab it but no joy. Magnetic coupling just too weak.

I look forward to seeing what's happening tomorrow

Coming up to two weeks with the new cake and not a lot of action to speak of. Enzyme additions may have helped the wort a little last time but nothing continuing.

Current Gravity is still high, but I need to drop 30-40 points for this beer to meet Rule 3. There are ways to achieve this still.

What I'm going to try again is the enzyme. They're comparatively expensive as far as brewing ingredients go, but I'll dose up again.

I have my next White Labs SHG yeast with Hoppy Day and will pickup tonight/tomorrow. Then I'll ferment a big Stout with it and make the cake.

MAKE THE CAKE!!! :)

Cheers all

Tis nearly Christmas time...go get your shopping done

So WTF,

Months now in the fermenter and she is still stagnate. Enzyme tablets - lots and expensive - have had their time to operate on their starch.

Three days ago I racked again onto a ridiculously healthy cake of white labs SHG and US05..... It was in my kegmenter after the pale ale madpierre shouted me.

Air lock shut, and after three days I intended to vent....ANYTHING, but zilch.

Are the enzymes not breaking down the long chains? Do I go Brett? Do I dilute and retain the substantial ethanol fraction I have for further SHG ambition.

Why does a wort of mammoth gravity not come down to ethanol with enzyme and time and yeast which is in spec.

I know that I don't know, but absolutely no response from this transfer has a question. Any answers or ideas welcome.

BTW, I'm totally fine restarting, but experience with this science is sought after.

Zorco

Update. That big healthy cake of US05 and White Labs 099 in the kegmenter and away it goes again. You beauty.

Hope this keeps going. Will try and take a specific gravity measurement this weekend

There's most of the year to go still, so even at this pace, you might be tracking OK.

Keep at it and good luck to you and your yeasties. :icon_cheers:

Zorco, is that the same cake as in the 17/2 post? I've sometimes found 099 to be a slow starter when added fresh, late into an HG ferment.

Yes Mardoo, I did remember your advice.

Burped the kegmenter again this morning and consistent progress. The aroma is changing too. Fermentation by my thinking.

I wonder if the enzyme had been working away for the past few months and now the yeast, after a time, got into gear.

Zorco said:
I wonder if the enzyme had been working away for the past few months and now the yeast, after a time, got into gear.
Wild Yeast has found it's way in?

Very possible. In the pale ale in the kegmenter prior there was a tiny funk that developed in the keg after I racked. I think the kegmenter or racking gear might have had an intruder. But maybe the keg only

Can wild yeasts survive >13-15% alcohol concentration as well as something intended for that range?

bradsbrew said:
Wild Yeast has found it's way in?
Not impossible, but I've had a major lag with late-addition 099 in a number of high gravity beers. They've all aged well with no signs of off flavours or flavour degradation with over-carbonation.

And the aroma from the kegmenter venting smells strong and untainted.

My vote is lag on 099

I'm getting slightly excited that this will turn out... imagine a 21% beer from only yeast.

Home brewed

From a mistake.

DEFINITELY FERMENTATION.

Gravity down to 1038. And it smells incredible....

A little update,

I've been burping the kegmenter all month and I'm pretty impressed that 099 has been in battle all the while. This week there has been a noticeable reduction of gas production. Still smells excellent.

Maybe a guess that it will be over by tuesday-wednesday. We will see what the gravity is....

Latest posts

Back