combining immersion chiller and plate chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exile

Reaction score
I Currently have a RoboBrew immersion chiller that's very slow to get to pitching temp, however I just bought a new keg king MKIII Plate Chiller.
Am thinking about combining them together and wondering if anyone here uses an immersion chiller together with a plate chiller to cool your wort?

I do.

I immersion chill to 70 deg to lock in the ibus, aromas, flavours etc then whirlpool and plate chill.

Gee, that sounds complicated.

I don't enjoy using my plate chiller, I find it difficult to get really clean.....I have moved to no chill. Having said that, the plate chiller is very effective at cooling beer right down to around the temperature of your tap water. No need for 2 stages in my estimate.

See you, Anthony

AJS2154 said:
Gee, that sounds complicated.

I don't enjoy using my plate chiller, I find it difficult to get really clean.....I have moved to no chill. Having said that, the plate chiller is very effective at cooling beer right down to around the temperature of your tap water. No need for 2 stages in my estimate.

See you, Anthony
I've often no chilled, stuck it in the fermentation fridge and waited till next morning to pitch.
but I am an impatient ******* and living in Qld doesn't help with the ground water temperature floating between 25° on a good day to 30° odd.
Just thinking If I could get the temp down more using say the the immersion chiller with ground water then pumping it thru the plate chiller with ice water to get to pitching temp.

I do the ice water thing. Got a submersible pond pump that i use to pump water filled with ice through the plate chiller. Straight from the kettle to the fermenter and i'm generally at pitching temp or within a degree or 2. Depending how on the ball i am at the time it usually takes 2-3 bags of ice. I don't have a keg king plate chiller so can't comment on its efficiency but i don't see the need to use a immersion chiller as well.

Latest posts

Back