Cold Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughyg

Reaction score
well I did an ah lcba today. problem was Adelaides weather is freezing. It is just finishing its mash, but I couldnt keep the temp up to 66.5C. Instead it was more around 63-64C Will this affect the beer? Will it just be dryer?
cheers
HG

It will be fine and yes probably on the dry side but that depends on the recipe and specialty malts in the grist.

Chappo

At least it should attenuate well.

It will be a nice dry beer for the warmer weather :lol:

at the end of the 90min mash it had dropped to 58. should i heat it and keep mash going?

at the end of the 90min mash it had dropped to 58. should i heat it and keep mash going?

90min is a long mash most conversion would have happened within the first 30-45min maybe even sooner. You need to get some iodine and do a test for starch as this will tell you when your starches have been converted to sugars.

Did it drop to 58 on a dial thermometer? did you stir to get an even temp reading? what was your recipe?

The enzymes at work will work at that temp just generally its not there preferred range.

Dont worry mash out and boil it will be fine

Kleiny

I used a lab immersion thermometer. Stirred then checked. Its a bright ale. so dryer maybe better for a summer quaffer.

It will be fine, the rest time is plenty and there would have been enough activity to convert.

So move on Sparge and Boil (or if you have already done this relax and look forward to a nice dry Golden ale)

Kleiny

Good that you have kept note of these key temps for next time. It will help in learning your system for the next brew.

+1 continue the sparge and boil as planned.

Photos? ;)

Its the first time I have had this problem. Really gave me the s!$t's. Im guessing its because it was 9.4C outside when I started. Oh well its now boiling along and am about to make my first hop addition.

The couple of Coopers Sparkling tributes I have done with recultured Coopers yeast I have mashed at 63 as suggested in the BYO Magazine recipe. I can't say that they strike me as particularly dry. One of them picked up a bronze in the recent QLD comp, to my surprise because I entered it really just for comments so I'm keen to get the score sheets back to see how it struck the judges. Based on that I'm even thinking of dropping to 62 for my Oz Lager and see how that goes.

In the OP's case, should be just fine.

Latest posts

Back