Cold Break In No Chill Cube

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuoy

Reaction score
I finaly got my first AG into the fermenter today. I had a lot of break material in the bottom of the cube. It was quite clear when it went into the cube so I assume its cold break.

The question is what to do with it? I left most of it in the cube but it means I have wasted about 2 litres of wort. Is this normal?

If I tip it all in there am I going to have problems with cloudy beer?

Cheers

Ian

I finaly got my first AG into the fermenter today. I had a lot of break material in the bottom of the cube. It was quite clear when it went into the cube so I assume its cold break.

The question is what to do with it? I left most of it in the cube but it means I have wasted about 2 litres of wort. Is this normal?

If I tip it all in there am I going to have problems with cloudy beer?

Cheers

Ian
If you have left it in the cube on its own for a while, I would suggest chuck it. There's a small risk of infection, oxidisation, etc, and you've managed to separate some solid material from the remaining wort.

In future though - I believe you can just chuck the whole lot into the fermenter. Some of the solid stuff is supposedly good for yeast, and if you are concerned about cloudiness you can always use finings and/or crash chill - most of the material will settle out on its own anyway. I've dumped grain/protein/trub/hops into the fermenter from a no-chill cube for a beer that went horribly wrong - about 3-4 L of the stuff. Turned out great. That's anecdotal though.

Congrats on the first AG. :icon_cheers:

I normally get the bulk of the cold break in my fermenter, saving a litre or two for the sink..

There is minor disagreement amongst brewers about whether cold break into your fermenter is bad or not - but lets put it this way

Every brewer who uses a counter flow or plate chiller - including all the commercial breweries that use plate heat exchangers - their cold break goes straight into the fermenter.

So, if clear wort went into the cube - then the whole cube can go in without issue.

What you say is normal.
What people do with the cold break seem to vary.
I personally try to avoid it going into fermenter.

If I brew an APA there seem little to worry about if it goes into fermenter though.

Latest posts

Back