Cloudy Apple Juice Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure it's finished? Cider can get down to .998 or so. My current one is 1000 - pretty sure it's done but still some CO2 coming out of solution after several days at cool temps.

Sure it's finished? Cider can get down to .998 or so. My current one is 1000 - pretty sure it's done but still some CO2 coming out of solution after several days at cool temps.

yeah, I think it was done. I measured the gravity @ the 5.5 day mark (@ 16 C temp, so actual gravity was slightly lower). Siphoned to second DJ and added the required amount of juice and left to do some shopping, airlock in place (bottles were still in the dishwasher). The bubbling had been out for about 24-30 hrs but used to restart on shaking it up and stop again soon after. When I finally unbunged it, it was refusing to kick even with a generous shake and warmer temperature.

It was seriously dry. I'm not kidding when I say there wasn't really a hint of sweetness. I came back and added a tiny bit more juice since it had fermented some while I was waiting and then bottled straight away. Hopefully, it will turn out OK. I've followed the same carbonation rate as what the coopers lollies use and the juice I added said 11g/100ml sugar, meaning 328 ml need be added, I added 350 ml in all. I hope that some of that is un-fermentable sugar because that cider was way too dry for me and dry cider is what I actually prefer. People had been recommending crash chilling but that isn't something I'm aware of yet + I need the fridge space so I hope this is sufficient arresting of fermentation by removing it from the yeast cake and bottling, only so much O2 in those bottles for the yeast to do its work with!

I'll obviously keep posted if anything goes wrong or great :)

Back