Cleaning Copper Mash Tun Manifold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVZOOM

Reaction score
All, I'm about to assemble my manifold and was thinking about different ways to lock the joints together. Initially I wanted to solder them, but it's been suggested that I'll need to take it apart every few mashes to thoroughly clean it.

I don't want it to fall apart during a mash, hense the reason that I want to assemble it with a degree of perminance. So, how does everyone do this - doyou dis-assemble each mash, or every so often? Do you clean in-situ - if so, with what?

Cheers - Mike

All, I'm about to assemble my manifold and was thinking about different ways to lock the joints together. Initially I wanted to solder them, but it's been suggested that I'll need to take it apart every few mashes to thoroughly clean it.

I don't want it to fall apart during a mash, hense the reason that I want to assemble it with a degree of perminance. So, how does everyone do this - doyou dis-assemble each mash, or every so often? Do you clean in-situ - if so, with what?

Cheers - Mike

Mine is soldered. I rinse it out after every mash when cleaning the tun. Once dry I put it back in the tun until next time. Every now and then I get a steel wool scourer onto it if I can be bothered. I put it in a bath of vinegar overnight a while back. Came out nice and shiny.
Cheers
Steve

I just pushed mine together.
Never comes apart unless I drop it or pull it apart.
Glad I didnt bother with solder.

Mine is made so it fits the bottom of the mashtun lengthwise exactly, and it is virtually a press fit that way.
Sideways I pin punched some of the joints. Never have a problem with it coming apart.

I didn't fix every joint, so that I can pull most of it apart if I want to. However, all I do is to give it a very good rinse with the hose when cleaning the mashtun. When it's dry, it lives back in the tun ready for use next brew. I don't do anything else to clean it.

I soldered mine up completely, and I soak it in PBW or sodium percarbonate after every mash.

Anything big enough to get through the slots is small enough to come back out.

Cool - ok, thnks. The other question is - slotted or drilled holes? I was thinking slots, every 3mm or so?

Cool - ok, thnks. The other question is - slotted or drilled holes? I was thinking slots, every 3mm or so?

These ones are around 5-7mm apart.

C&B
TDA

Manifold.JPG

These issues were covered yesterday [topic="29689"]here[/topic].

pull-apart like TDA and PBW, works a treat.

Cheers
JSB

Latest posts

Back