Cleaning Brew Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el capitan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a Coopers Sanitiser from Kmart. My question is that I've got a bit of mould growing in the keg (was a hand me down from a mate). Will this kill the mould, and I can just wipe it clean with a cloth, or shall I do something else?

Thanks

if it was mine i'd strip it down to it's jocks and boil every component, give the keg a soak in napisan overnight
then assemble it with new seals & poppet valves etc then pressure test and your good to go

Rob.

strip and caustic soda. about 30 gms of powder to 30 litres water

Before you go boiling anything.

A keg is a stainless steel vessel you put beer in for dispensing.

A fermenter is a plastic container you ferment your beer in.

Which one do you have?

Some newer brewers do mix the two up.

Most plastics don't take kindly to being boiled. For cleaning plastics, use either bleach, napisan or PSR in the correct concentration for a good overnight soak. Use only one cleaner at a time, not a combo. Pull everything apart and wash all threads and grooves with a clean toothbrush with cleaner.

Remove all grommets and o'rings. Give them a good soak in cleaner. Rinse thoroughly and allow to airdry. Store airdry.

Before you go boiling anything.

A keg is a stainless steel vessel you put beer in for dispensing.

A fermenter is a plastic container you ferment your beer in.

Which one do you have?

Some newer brewers do mix the two up.
100% percent agree, for sanatising try reading up on bleach/white viniger. If in dount of a fermentor, ditch it..... It does not cost much compared to commerical crappy beer.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back