Citrus / passionfruit Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrens

Reaction score
Morning everyone , Im looking for a taste of citrus / passionfruit flavours in my beer. What hops can you guys recommend please . Really looking for that kind of flavour .
Appreciate your help.

Darren.

Passion fruit = galaxy or vic secret .

Citrus= citra, amarillo and heaps of others

I could recommend:
  • Galaxy (Late addition + Dry Hop)
  • Citra
  • Galena
  • Cascade
  • Northern Brewer
I've found that using an American ale yeast (AKA US-05) really helps the fruity / citrus notes shine through.

Galaxy, galaxy....and more galaxy

I made a hopped cider 2 years ago where I actually boiled some galaxy as well as dry hopped post ferment...

Tasted like
Passiona.png

Dr Rummy said:
Try some Mosaic with Galaxy. Great combination.
I make a mean APA with those 2 -_- -_- can barely brew it fast enough

I reckon Nelson Sauvin is the classic passion fruit hop

Yeah me too. For fruitiness, nectar/Passionfruity etc. I've been toying with the combination of Galaxy/Mosaic/Nelson Sauvin.
That gets more complex than just passionfruit.

damoninja said:
I make a mean APA with those 2 -_- -_- can barely brew it fast enough
Care to share the recipe please? Only beer I think I've had with those hops in it was a James Squire Hop Thief and it wasn't great(not the hops fault!)

ScottyDoesntKnow said:
Care to share the recipe please? Only beer I think I've had with those hops in it was a James Squire Hop Thief and it wasn't great(not the hops fault!)
Sure will PM to you when home rather than hijack the thread

ScottyDoesntKnow said:
Only beer I think I've had with those hops in it was a James Squire Hop Thief and it wasn't great(not the hops fault!)
This was inspired by the same beer (no. 7), I wasn't impressed by the lack of hops so decided to do something about it.

This is V2, added a little more late hop which I think have added a tiny bit more bitterness, the third iteration will see me drop the magnum a fraction and I maaay back off the crystal a bit, but I'm not sure yet... wait til I'm through these 2 kegs and ~20 bottles of it ;) ;) I'm enjoying it so far...

Hop bandit
EBC: 21.6
IBU: 45
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.009
BU:GU: 1.032
EE%: 72.00 %
Batch: 50L
Boil vol: 65L
Boil time: 60 Mins
ABV: 5.2%
Mash: Single infusion @ 66C

Grain bill
10000g Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) 90.4 %
530g Caramel/Crystal Malt - (medium) (Gladfield) 4.8 %
530g Dark Crystal Malt (dark) (Gladfield) 4.8 %

Hop schedule
35g Magnum 12.00% @ 60min
50g Galaxy 14.20% @ 10min
40g Mosaic 11.00% @ 10min
20g Galaxy 14.20% @ 5min
20g Mosaic 11.00% @ 5min
90g Mosaic 11.50% @ 0min / whirlpool
60g Galaxy 14.20% @ 0min / whirlpool
50g Mosaic 11.50% @ dry, 5 days
40g Galaxy 14.20% @ dry, 5 days

Fermentation
2 pack US-05
Ferment @ 17.5C

Misc
Whirlflock
Cold crash
Gelatin
Whirlpool 30mins @ 75C

My house IPA is very similar: 5.5-6% ABV with US05 - 90% ale malt 5% light crystal 5% medium crystal, no hops before 30min. Usually citra & mosaic, but have had success with single hop galaxy, citra, cascade, chinook, mosaic, amarillo and various combinations.

fdsaasdf said:
My house IPA is very similar: 5.5-6% ABV with US05 - 90% ale malt 5% light crystal 5% medium crystal, no hops before 30min. Usually citra & mosaic, but have had success with single hop galaxy, citra, cascade, chinook, mosaic, amarillo and various combinations.
At some point I'm planning on amping this up to 7% ABV and going 50-100% the hops..........

It'll be the hop heist

Thanks guys for all the responses . Heaps of different ideas.

Darren.

I make a golden ale I call "passion gap" -

Plenty of Citra and galaxy flavour and aroma, then chuck a few cans (or fresh) of passionfruit pulp in secondary. Once the krausen from that fruit sugar settles down, dry hop with galaxy about 2g / litre a few days before kegging. Simple but always popular.

damoninja said:
This was inspired by the same beer (no. 7), I wasn't impressed by the lack of hops so decided to do something about it.

This is V2, added a little more late hop which I think have added a tiny bit more bitterness, the third iteration will see me drop the magnum a fraction and I maaay back off the crystal a bit, but I'm not sure yet... wait til I'm through these 2 kegs and ~20 bottles of it ;) ;) I'm enjoying it so far...

Hop bandit
EBC: 21.6
IBU: 45
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.009
BU:GU: 1.032
EE%: 72.00 %
Batch: 50L
Boil vol: 65L
Boil time: 60 Mins
ABV: 5.2%
Mash: Single infusion @ 66C

Grain bill
10000g Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) 90.4 %
530g Caramel/Crystal Malt - (medium) (Gladfield) 4.8 %
530g Dark Crystal Malt (dark) (Gladfield) 4.8 %

Hop schedule
35g Magnum 12.00% @ 60min
50g Galaxy 14.20% @ 10min
40g Mosaic 11.00% @ 10min
20g Galaxy 14.20% @ 5min
20g Mosaic 11.00% @ 5min
90g Mosaic 11.50% @ 0min / whirlpool
60g Galaxy 14.20% @ 0min / whirlpool
50g Mosaic 11.50% @ dry, 5 days
40g Galaxy 14.20% @ dry, 5 days

Fermentation
2 pack US-05
Ferment @ 17.5C

Misc
Whirlflock
Cold crash
Gelatin
Whirlpool 30mins @ 75C
I brewed this and bottled 2 weeks ago, couldn't wait any longer and got stuck into it tonight. I dry hopped with 6.5g/l split between 5 days and then 2. Easily the most hop forward beer I've made to date, alot darker in colour than i expected too! Epic beer, probably my best to date, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Latest posts

Back