Christmas/Summer BIAB Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judanero said:
Recipe #1

100% Pils

Czech Saaz or Perle to 24-27 ibu @ 60 mins

Mash at 66

Yeast: Budvar, Danish Lager or similar fermented at 11c (Diacetly rest done, lager for two weeks before moving to kegs)
This with a few % acidulated malt. Fermented at 14 degrees with notto , grain to brain in 10 days. Beautiful crisp clean faux lager.

Interesting.... i was wondering if there is a way to simulate a lager without having to deal with the rigmarole of the lagering process...

Matplat said:
Interesting.... i was wondering if there is a way to simulate a lager without having to deal with the rigmarole of the lagering process...
There's a few threads around about using swiss lager S-187 (I think) for lagers but fermenting at 18C with good results. Have done one myself that came out fine. Certainly much less time and effort than the traditional method!

My summer hefes are about 1038-1040.
50/50 pils/wheat.
German hops at 60min only, low IBU.
Mash 64. 90min boil.
WB-06. Start at 15c, up a degree a day.
Kegged in a week. Empty the next.

+1 for S-189.

I've used it quite a few timed over the years with great results. I tried M84 for my last lager and it's a little estery. Will need a decent lagering period to come good. I'll be going straight back to 189 next time.

Ross's Summer Ale base recipe has served me well (BIAB).

92% Maris Otter
8% Torrefied Wheat

to about 1.050 and fermented using US-05 or BRY-97.

I've used Mosaic, Riwaka, Vic Secret, and Sorachi Ace as single hop (usually at 60min, flameout and in the cube).

Vic Secret and Mosaic being my preference so far.

Very recently have used Gladfield American Ale (95%) and Gladfield Toffee (5%) to 1.050 to make a cracking APA which is extremely sessionable.
Hop combo is Galaxy and Mosaic 50:50 and it's a great beer (to my taste). Enjoyed a few this arvo before the SE Qld weather intervened.

med_gallery_30557_1283_385304.jpg

Barge said:
+1 for S-189.

I've used it quite a few timed over the years with great results. I tried M84 for my last lager and it's a little estery. Will need a decent lagering period to come good. I'll be going straight back to 189 next time.
So you can just use a lager yeast at ale temps and it still tastes like a lager??? And you don't need to lager it either??? That seems too easy....

Lagering for a couple of weeks will help but for all intents and purposes that is correct and it is that easy.

It makes sense when you think about it. It's hard to imagine most commercial lagers being fermented over 3+ weeks and then lagered for a month. That kind of throughput would kill them!

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/15992-s189-yeast-help/?p=310074

I've never gone as high as 20C and I haven't brewed that many lately but my experience was similar. Pitch and ferment at 17-18C and cold crash when done. Drinking clean, clear lager with 2-3 weeks of pitching yeast.

Tried a lager with the M-84 recently. First batch I pitched a starter at 13C and fermented at that temp for however long. D-rest, cold crash, gelatin, etc. 1 week in keg and I'm not happy with it. Not sure if it's estery or acetaldehyde but there's something going on. Hoping that it will dissipate with time. 2nd batch I pitched warm (for SWMBO related reasons) and cooled to lager ferment temps. It's currently lagering in FV and has the same strong flavour as the first. I'm thinking ethyl acetate because it seems a bit fruity/acetone.

Anyhow, that's a long-winded way of saying that I'll go back to using S-189.

contrarian said:
Lagering for a couple of weeks will help but for all intents and purposes that is correct and it is that easy.

It makes sense when you think about it. It's hard to imagine most commercial lagers being fermented over 3+ weeks and then lagered for a month. That kind of throughput would kill them!
I've had that thought more than once, why is most megaswill a lager that they would have to put that much work in to? but you reckon they don't bother?

I thought that lager yeast makes off flavours at ale temps... I guess as barge has found out... but S-189 gets away with it somehow?

us 05/001/1056 @ ~15C makes a pretty good fake lager. It will take a little longer to ferment than usual at that temp but does the job.

edit: you can start to raise the temp after 3-4 days and still get a nice clean ferment as well.

Nice! I'll have to give that a go, ive been itching to make an Oktoberfest!

I've got a session saison and summer ale recipe planned. Also a munich helles style lager. That should see me through the warm months.

I'm going to have a crack at my first recipe with no hops in the boil, all in the cube.

Not 100% on the IBU calculations though, I've done a couple of batches with cube hopping using 20 mins for the calculation but feel like I'm certainly getting a lot less bitterness than that.

Looking at doing a S&W Pacific Ale type thingie, I've got 100gm of Galaxy so I thought I'll use them all spread out between the cube and dry in the keg.

3kg BB Ale
1.5kg BB Wheat
40gm Galaxy - Cube
60gm Galaxy - Dry

If I punch that into beersmith or brewer's friend I get nearly 40 IBU - Does this sound right?

tj2204 said:
I'm going to have a crack at my first recipe with no hops in the boil, all in the cube.

If I punch that into beersmith or brewer's friend I get nearly 40 IBU - Does this sound right?
Sounds close if you're using the cube addition as 20 minutes. It depends on your OG and the AA% of your Galaxy.
1.050 and 14%AA at 20 minutes gives me 38IBU Tinseth (using BIABacus).

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Sounds close if you're using the cube addition as 20 minutes. It depends on your OG and the AA% of your Galaxy.
1.050 and 14%AA at 20 minutes gives me 38IBU Tinseth (using BIABacus).
Totally understand that.

What I was talking about though was perceived bitterness, in my experience so far I haven't felt like I've got anywhere near the same bitterness from a cube hop as a 20 minute boil so I'm finding it hard to get the additions right.

S189 is a beautiful clean lager yeast that gives you lagers ready to go in a shorter space of time.
You can ferment it higher as some do, 18C or so, or ferment down around 12 - 14 and either way it doesn't need much "lagering"
I just chill mine at fridge temps, about 8-9C in my case, for a week, two if I have time.

This is my basic pils/lager "recipe"
90/10 Pils/Munich malt
Bitter to 30-40 IBU depending on hop and preference
Bittering addition at 60 then the bulk of IBUs made up of a flavour addition at 10-15 mins with a ratio of 1.23g/litre (not my invention, I inherited it from someone way back now...), rounded unless you have really really good scales.
I tend to round up for noble hops and down if I'm using NZ hops, Nelson or Motueka make lovely lagers.
S189, two packets

I've used this recipe with a number of different combinations. Hallertau, Nelson Sauvin and Motueka (BSaaz) have been my favourites though...
They dont tend to last very long in summer that's for sure...

Maybe plug it in as a 15 minute addition. FWIW, I have always found the perceived bitterness of late additions to be less than early. E.g. A single hop addition at 60 minutes for a total of 40IBUs would seem much more bitter than a late boil for 40IBUs.

I don't know why.

tj2204 said:
Totally understand that.

What I was talking about though was perceived bitterness, in my experience so far I haven't felt like I've got anywhere near the same bitterness from a cube hop as a 20 minute boil so I'm finding it hard to get the additions right.

Barge said:
Maybe plug it in as a 15 minute addition. FWIW, I have always found the perceived bitterness of late additions to be less than early. E.g. A single hop addition at 60 minutes for a total of 40IBUs would seem much more bitter than a late boil for 40IBUs.
I don't know why.
Is it a harshness thats different? Is 1 beer noticably out of balance and sweet where the other is balanced or is 1 just harsh and the other isnt?

Latest posts

Back